I want to know EVERYTHING about staying at AKL (m)

Cuddlemama

Mouseketeer
Hi there. I've been a board lurker for ages (since early last year), but this is the first time I have had reason to post.

I've finally convinced my husband to take me and our two little ones (ages 3.5 and 18 mths at the time of the trip) to WDW. This will be a return trip for me, but the first for both Dave and the kids.

We'll be going to AKL concierge for 7 nights from Sept 18 to Sept. 25, 2003 with the new Fairytale offer.

I'd love to know as many details as possible about the lodge, especially the concierge offerings and where I should request my room.

We're not big amusement park people, and don't really do rides, so we really ARE going to Disney for the ambience. Our daughter loves animals FAR more than she loves sparkly, frilly things...but she DOES want to see Mulan, if she can.

I'll probably post on the family board for ideas for planning a very laid-back vacation with small kids, but I thought I'd start with a post here asking for info on AKL.

I'd love descriptions, links to pictures and reviews, anything that I can read and add to my folder to attempt to make my husband more excited about our upcoming trip.

Thanks in advance,

~Leigh

First I would not discredit all rides. So many of Disney's rides are more experiences then they are true rides. I would suggest the Unofficial Guide to WDW as a great place to read accurate descriptions of the rides and shows.

I believe you may find Mulan in China at Epcot and I think she is one of the Princess at the Princess breakfast in Norway.

AKL is wonderful. The conceirge lounge is very nice and relaxing. They offer a nice breakfast with rolls, bagals, cereral, fresh fruit, oatmeal, juice and coffee/cappacino/espresso machine that is to die for. Crackers and snack type foods are out during the day. Hot and cold appatizers are out in the evening. Dessets and wine and cordials are out from 8-10. We found the selection wonderful. Bottles of water and soda are availalbe if you ask for them.

Renee

Welcome to the DIS.

The first thing you need to know is that, as AKL concierge guests, you can make reservations for the Sunrise Safari. You WANT to do this. It will cost extra but it's worth every penny. You do this through AKL concierge and last I heard you could make reservations 60 days before your vacation. It's only held twice a week and has been known to sell out quickly.

I have a ton of AKL pictures, you can find them HERE. There are links at the top of the first page that will show you all around the resort, including Sunrise Safari.

http://www.***********.com/14b7d0e00.jpg

http://www.***********.com/14bbd0e00.jpg

http://www.***********.com/14b5d01c0.jpg

http://www.***********.com/1487d01c0.jpg

Welcome to DIS!

Don't forget the AKL FAQ thread!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68312

And Deb Will's site: http://wdwig.com/faq_akl.htm (use the links on the left for reviews and pictures)

Many, many good features of AKL, but one disadvantage you should be aware of is limited recreation opportunities. There is no place you can go walking, jogging, or biking, and there are no water sports. You are basically "sealed in" by the savannahs and the parking lot. The pool and health club are fine but that's about it. This doesn't bother people who only go to the theme parks.

Fortunately it is easy to get around this. Take a bus to Magic Kingdom, then a boat to Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness Resort (or just drive if you have a car). I think at either one you have full access to hiking, biking, and boating.

Hi! I too am going to AKL and am looking hard for as much information as possible for our trip in a couple of weeks. We are very excited to be going!
:earsboy: :sunny:

Hi,
We are at AKL right now, and are leaving on Wed. We are doing the Sunrise Safari tomorrow. We are in the zebra trail at the Arusha Rock-lots of animals. I will be doing a trip report when we get back. We love the Lodge, but have had some excellent assistance from the concierge staff with one exception. But other than a special picture and 2 ps we haven't asked them for anything. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

DisneyRN1.. what room are you in... are you close to the elevator?? did you request?? I am checking in on Sunday.. how is the weather... any reports for next week... thanks..amy

This is a really nice vacation. My family really enjoyed it. The animals are a really nice plus. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!1

You will love AKL! We stayed there last Fall and had a blast!!! Highly recommed Boma's for breakfast (be sure to try Frunch). The ambience is unbelieveable and the theming is excellent. IF you have time, ask for the Hidden Mickey Search sheet at the front desk - great way to see the lodge and find some rather interesting Hidden Mickeys! We did it on a rainy Saturday last November and our two DS's (8 and 7) really enjoyed themselves.
Overall, wonderful ambience, great rooms, delightful food - a great experience!!!

Originally posted by Cuddlemama
Our daughter loves animals FAR more than she loves sparkly, frilly things...
There is a petting zoo at Fort Wilderness.

When our eldest was just 8 months my husband convinced me to add a stop at WDW to a trip we were taking. He had treated his youngest four brothers and sisters to a trip there before we were married. Anyway, I was reluctant because I'm not an amusement park kind of person either. Well, thirty some vacations later I still can't get enough of WDW. AS Rneighh said the rides are really attractions. The attention to detail is amazing and I still notice new things. But the resort experience is magical, too, and I think it's great that you are planning to take it easy with your little ones. Have a great trip!

Corvair,
We are in room 5415 which is a savannah view, Zebra trail. We are very happy with the room location and view. The weather for the first week was pretty typical Florida weather for now-hot, humid with brief showers. For the past 4-5 days the rain has been occ. downpours with one episode of hail. We still were able to go to the parks in the mornings without problems, but a few times they cleared the pool here and wouldn't let anyone out to the observation area at Arusha Rock. Just bring an umbrella and poncho-just in case.
I will write a little more about the stay here in a couple days-we are going home tomorrow and have a early start to a long drive. I have enjoyed the hotel-it's beautiful and the animals are amazing, BUT we have had a lot of negative experiences both here and at WDW. That's very hard to say because we are both Disney lovers and come here at least once a year and freq. twice a year. I hope you have a wonderful stay........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter