• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Need Your Advice

DisneyGal358

Mouseketeer
:bride: For our honeymoon we are heading to Las Vegas in early September. :goodvibes

I have never been to Disneyland... and since it is so close (by close I mean we are from the East coast so Las Vegas is much closer to Disneyland that we are currently) I am dying to go!! :woohoo:

My problem is this... the fiance isn't buying the idea. We aren't renting a car (we will be under 25 still and don't want to be charged the outragous fee for only being 24 and driving their cars). What options do we have? How far is it really? What do you think it would run us - money-wise to cut out of Vegas and spend one day and possibly one night at Disneyland?

Money is tight but I also view this as an amazing opportunity! I LOVE Disney World but I would love to see where Walt started it all.... Any info you can share would be amazing!! If I can have everything planned out and then present it so lovingly to my fiance it would be great! I need to make him an offer he can't refuse!! And geeze... we're young! We need to live it up!! That is my perspective atleast....

Thanks in advance guys!!! :wave:

ps. I've never been to Disneyland - any advice or tips and tricks you can share would be great. It's so funny because I know WDW like the back of my hand (esp after working and living there) but nothing when it comes to DL. I'm SO excited to experience the West Coast magic! :yay:

If you aren't renting a car then isn't flying the only option? Seems like renting the car for 2 days, even at the premium price, would be a much better option. Otherwise in addition to the flights you would have to get a transfer or taxi from the airport to DL.

I agree, the only way is to rent a car or fly. You could check out flights on southwest, I have gotten good deals before between Vegas and CA. But then you have to take a taxi or shuttle to/from the airport over there. Good luck, it is only a 3.5 - 4 hour drive if you time it to not get there during a rush hour. I hope it all works out for you, and congratulations!

Andrea

Fly from home to Vegas---enjoy yourselves.

Fly from Vegas to Disneyland area. Hunt for $39 specials from SW for one-way tix.

Spend a night, or two.

Fly home from California.

Three separate one-way tickets, no rental car necessary! :teeth:

You really should look to mousesavers.com for some good tips. Are you planning on staying on-site or off. Do you have any discount options? Like a AAA. You would definetely want to spend more than one day and night if possible. What are your husbands interests and non interests? There is something for everyman here in my opinion. Does he like to ride rides, drink, shop, relax by the pool? With a little more info. on where you want to or hope to stay and what you like to do you will get a lot of tips from the folks here.

:thanks: Wow! You guys are amazing!! Thanks for the support. :thanks:

We have already purchased our tickets to and from Philly to Vegas. :confused3

I really don't think I can get my guy to sit in a car for a 3 or 4 hour drive. I just think we would kill each other. (We never fight except when we are in the car. He HATES getting lost and I'd rather figure it out on my own. It drives him MAD!)

I went to Disneyland's web page and was looking at the package deals they have but the prices were a little too high for me. I looked at the Pier Hotel (the lesser of the three) plus park passes plus airfare plus transportantion between the airport and Disney. It quoted me something like $1300 which is a tad out of our price range for an additional trip on our honeymoon (esp since we'll be paying for the room in vegas while we aren't there and over in Disney - a timeshare.) :guilty:

As far as hotel is concerned - I'd like to stay at one of the Disneyland resorts. Since it is our honeymoon I'd like to splurge a little where that is concerned. I don't really care for the California adventure park. I'm really only interested in going into Disneyland's main park. (Are there places online to purchase discounted Disneyland tickets?) I don't think we'll need a dining plan. Although if you could suggest one must do place to eat we'd really appreciate it.

As far as airports are concerned... what is your advice. I noticed on Disney's site it gave several different options. LAX, SNA, ONT... what is the best airport to fly into... what is the drive time between them to Disneyland? Does Disneyland have any type of shuttle like the new Magical Express WDW recently put together? :tinker:

You can see a little bit about me in my signature... as for my soon to be hubby - he is computer nerd converted into a Disney-aholic thanks to me! Although is is the 'practical' one and is nervous that this little adventure is going to cost a ton! If I want this to happen I need to find a darn good deal!!

Thanks again!! :disrocks:

I should add.... our trip dates are as following

Philly - Vegas
Sunday, Sept. 10th

Vegas - Philly
Sunday, Sept. 17th

My plan is to possibly go over to DL Tues (12th) till Thurs (14th) and then enjoy the rest of the time in Vegas.

Here's my (exhausting) suggestion:

Fly to John Wayne Airport early AM 9/12 (my b-day!!! :blush: ). Spend Tues and Weds in the parks commando-style.

Fly back to Vegas on the last shuttle Weds night.

Two full days in the park, only "wasting" one night of your Vegas timeshare, and only need 1 nights lodging in California.

BTW---A 2-day car rental at John Wayne would be really cheap (Priceline), or take a shuttle.

I would think about eating at the Blue Bayou if you could. The POTC restaurant. The River bell Terrace is great too! Walt is said to have eaten breakfast here on Sunday mornings. I am not sure when that is getting refurbished though! The 50th fireworks are really special if you can get to the Hub area that is the best spot. We personally love the PP hotel. It is spacious and nice views of CAP. I would mention your wedding at the desk wherever you stay and hope for a free upgrade!

PattiPB said:
Here's my (exhausting) suggestion:

Fly to John Wayne Airport early AM 9/12 (my b-day!!! :blush: ). Spend Tues and Weds in the parks commando-style.

Fly back to Vegas on the last shuttle Weds night.

Two full days in the park, only "wasting" one night of your Vegas timeshare, and only need 1 nights lodging in California.

BTW---A 2-day car rental at John Wayne would be really cheap (Priceline), or take a shuttle.

ITA!!! A full week in Vegas would totally make me go crazy. I love vegas but only for 3 or 4 days. :rolleyes:
I am a huge fan of this plan since it maximizes time in the parks and minimizes paying for hotels. Your costs would be pretty low if you could get cheap airfair. In September, the crowd levels should be pretty low so you could easily see the parks "commando style" (my preferred touring method :teeth: )

eargal said:
A full week in Vegas would totally make me go crazy. I love vegas but only for 3 or 4 days. :rolleyes:

Well said! If the airline would let you, you could think of changing your flight tickets. I'm thinking spending the first part in Vegas, and then driving to DL and flying out from there. :confused3

Good luck!

If you really want to do a few days at DL on the cheap, then I think you need to forget about staying at their hotels. Sorry, but they are just so expensive. There are nice places to stay right on Harbor and if it's only for 1 night it doesn't have to be a honeymoon suite.

I'd also price out the rental car on Hotwire and other discount places. You might be surprised. But if you can fly, then that's even better. I'd fly into whichever airport gets you the best deal. If they are close in price, I'd go with something other than LAX because I think it's the furthest of the airports in the area.

Good luck!

It is actually a closer walk from the hotels across the street than from the DLR hotels.

You can stay right across from the crosswalk at the Best Western Park Place Inn for $89/night. Other options right across the street are: Tropicana, Carousel, and the Camelot (Used to be the Park Inn). There are some others as well, but not quite as nice.

Have fun!

I have to agree...stay offsite...plenty of options and even if you are not within walking distance, you can take the ART for very little $$. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort Area twice and was very pleased. A reasonable rate, a nice room, easy to get to the parks on the ART. If you are considering a couple of days, you can get a cheap multiday pass via AAA. I agree Blue Bayou would be nice for a meal, do lunch if dinner is too costly. Walking through DTD in the evening is nice. I think a couple of days at DL would be enjoyable for you both!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter