I know I shouldn't even bother with this...

fkj2

DIS Veteran
but really, renting points at $10 is a PHENOMENOL savings over Dis' rack rates for the same accommodations and renters avoid the tax as well.

It's really true. I cannot believe the discounts available through CRO now. They are offering upgrades to the deluxe hotels that are incredible. I have holds on weekend rooms at AKL at $170/night including tax. This is during premier season, and WLV studios are 16 points weeknights and a whopping 43 points weekend. The $10/point is still comparable when you only stay on weeknights, but weekends are much cheaper straight through Disney. And with the risk you are taking as a DVC renter, and the tougher restrictions on cancellations, it's hard to argue for $10 a point being "cheap" right now. Nobody is paying "rack rates."

I think $10 is fair to both parties. As for discount codes on deluxe accommodations, I didn't see any posted at Mousesavers.com beyond 2/13/02. That seems to be when the Peak season begins. I may have missed it though as I read through the list rather quickly. I will have to call CRO tomorrow just out of curiosity.

As for the weekend points at the home-away-from-home resorts, I think that maybe DVC should consider evening them out throughout the entire week. As far as $170 for AKL, I understand that to be a standard room and while daily maid service would be included, it would not offer the amenities for coffee, fridge, or the washer/dryer found in one bedrooms and larger at DVC.

Unless the economy REALLY heads south, these discounts are an abberation that will rapidly be reversed when (if) tourism rebounds.

Is there info on this MB program somewhere on this site or the DVC site? Thanks.

Actually, my $170 room at AKL is for the last week of March (the week of Easter). They are not "codes," but if you book a value resort, you could be offered cheap upgrades at very little additional cost as they are available.

I do not mean to imply that $10 is a "bad" price. I rented my points for my trip in November for $10 each, and I still think I'm doing OK. I just want to confirm that it is by no means cheap or amazing, and point out that it is rotten on weekends (we all knew that though, didn't we?). Those interested in DVC resorts vs. deluxe resorts just have to weigh the benefits of booking through Disney or booking through a DVC member, as well as the benefits of each resort. I for one am hoping to do both -- in March, I am trying to use Disney CRO for the weekends and rented DVC points for the weekdays. I hope to get my points at $8 each to make it worthwhile. At this late date I doubt I can get in DVC resorts anyway, but it's worth a try! You are correct that a coffee maker weighs in heavy on the benefits side at DVC resorts!!!

Yes, I can agree with you about the weekend point system. It's even true if you book into one of the "regular" hotels on points; it's cheaper to pay cash for Friday/Saturday and look for a discount even if it's only the 10% with the card.

Who knows, you might find somebody with a short time horizon wanting to get rid of points but I thought only a few DVC was available to Disney to offer once the resort is sold out. You still might not be able to coordinate getting a DVC accommodation from Dis for the weekend and a member for the other days. At least it sounds as though you have "Plan B".

Aside from the coffee maker, it's the washer/dryer for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter