I know height requirements are strict, but how accurate are the measurements?

wedowdw17

Mouseketeer
We are headed to WDW in 3 months, and my son is 40 and 1/8" barefoot. I'm hoping he grows a bit between now and the time we go as well to give us more 'cushion' to get on the rides with 40" requirements, but I'm wondering how accurate the measuring stations are at the rides. Are the 40" ride measuring stations taller than 40" in your experience? Do they always make the kids take their shoes off (he wears tennis shoes, not platform sandals :))? I'm not trying to cheat the system, and I know the requirements are strict for a reason, I just want to know if 40" is really 40" or more like 40.5-41".

All i can say is that heights are generally with shoes ( i don't think i have seen anyone checking heights with shoes off). So at this point you can only hope he has a little growth spurt and with typical sneakers it might get him an extra .75 - 1 inch. I would think even if they are very close they will not all them on simply for liability reasons. If he is over 40" now barefoot you should be find. I'm sure the measurements are exact. Many of the rides are 38 or 40" and then it jumps up to 44 or 48 inches for a few rides

Last edited:
My DD is almost 14, so it has been a while, but when she was little we found the 40" markers to vary a bit. She almost didn't get to ride star tours because that one was a little taller than the others. She had been fine all week, but barely squeaked by that one.

Measurements are taken with shoes on (unless you are obviously trying to game the system with a kid in high heels or something). So your child will be fine.

Just make sure he knows to stand straight and 'hit' the bar. Stories of kids not realizing your head should hit the bar and then not getting to ride :(

DS is right at 40". The only measuring bar he was questionable at was for Dinosaur - we asked to use another measuring stick right next to the entrance (idk why there were two?) and he was fine w that one. Never had to take his shoes off.

Do they always make the kids take their shoes off

Nope.

She almost didn't get to ride star tours because that one was a little taller than the others. She had been fine all week, but barely squeaked by that one.

Most likely because of the whole week of the trip before!

Just make sure he knows to stand straight and 'hit' the bar. Stories of kids not realizing your head should hit the bar and then not getting to ride :(

YES.

also, try to go on ride that have height requirements in the morning - we are taller in the AM than the PM

Double YES!

Thanks all for the help! We've already started practicing 'standing tall like superman' and I put the ruler right at the 40" mark and tell him to push it up with his head. He thinks it's funny. He's generally a little shy with people he doesn't know so I'm trying to turn it into a game so when we get to the actual time he'll know exactly what to do!

I'm not sure of the answer across the board. But I do know that one ride in California Adventure was at least an inch taller on the measuring stick. (I think it was Jumpin' Jellyfish.) One Dis member posted a photo (many years ago) with her measuring tape next to the measuring stick and her tape showed 41" for a supposedly 40" ride. I don't think I had a kid who wanted to ride it anyway so I certainly wouldn't have argued with them but that sticks with me because it was so far off. I never heard of any ride in WDW being that far off.

I also remember many years ago that we tried to ride both Soarin' and Test Track with my son. He was was tall enough for one but not the other (I want to say Test Track was the "not tall enough" ride). Since both rides have been refurb'd since then I can't comment on the accuracy of those sticks right now, but at the time there was slight variation. So I would encourage you to keep practicing with him.

Dd was able to ride all the 44" rides at barely 44" barefoot EXCEPT mission space. For some reason she wasn't 44" for that one.

If your child is right there or borderline for the height requirement, be prepared to be measured every single time. In fact, just measure them in front of the cm automatically to avoid any delays in line. They'll make them take off hats or headbands but not shoes in my experience. My dd was even wearing red glitter Jessie cowgirl boots that gave her an obvious extra couple inches one day and they didn't make her take them off.

Our daughter was right at 40" on our last trip. One of the CM's told us/her to have her measured with her arms raised above her head if she was to short on any rides. I don't think it makes you taller but, most likely just forces you into not slouching when being measured.

The only one we had trouble on with DD was Everest (44in). She had been riding Space Mountain all week and when we went to Animal Kingdom, I didn't even think to measure her before we walked up. The CM stopped us and she hurried over there, I was hardly even paying attention when the CM said she couldn't ride :( She was bummed, but we promised her she could do it next trip!

We are headed to WDW in 3 months, and my son is 40 and 1/8" barefoot. I'm hoping he grows a bit between now and the time we go as well to give us more 'cushion' to get on the rides with 40" requirements, but I'm wondering how accurate the measuring stations are at the rides. Are the 40" ride measuring stations taller than 40" in your experience? Do they always make the kids take their shoes off (he wears tennis shoes, not platform sandals :))? I'm not trying to cheat the system, and I know the requirements are strict for a reason, I just want to know if 40" is really 40" or more like 40.5-41".
If he's over 40 barefoot, he'll be fine getting on the 40 inch rides. His added cushion will be his shoes

They are pretty accurate, so you'll be just fine. Mine measured exactly 40 inches earlier this year and we had no problems once he put shoes on.

It has been a long time! More than a decade. But when our DD was exactly at the height requirement for RnRC some CMs would pass it and others not. We got her measured at guest services, which am extremely accurate measure, and she got a wrist band. Don't know if they still do it, but it saved a lot of time.

It's pretty accurate IME and includes the shoes. When my boys were 39 1/4 they just made it onto the 40 inch rides because their sandals gave them that extra 3/4 of an inch. They had to stand nice and straight but they hit the bar each time.

It has been a long time! More than a decade. But when our DD was exactly at the height requirement for RnRC some CMs would pass it and others not. We got her measured at guest services, which am extremely accurate measure, and she got a wrist band. Don't know if they still do it, but it saved a lot of time.
WDW does not do wrist band measurements. There are two measuring points, one at the start of the queue and one just before loading ride vehicle. It is not uncommon for a first measurement to be ok , but the second measurement is a no go.

Nope, because the the bar was about 3/4 of an inch higher. We went back to MK the next day and rode BTMRR without a problem.

It isn't 3/4" off for others. :)

We are all smaller towards the end of the day. Our height rebounds overnight with rest and hydration. The forces of the day and of other rides smoosh us down.

And kids are difficult. My son was righteously tall enough for ST at the first marker at DL and then grew bored during the line and slouched. Then the CM put his hand on DS's shoulder as he measured at the second mark. DS slouched more and there was no ride. It was the same height as outside. But a bored kid with a dad who didn't react in time with encouragement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter