I cried today when I cancelled our onsite reservations...

I'm staying off-site for my trip in March. I just couldn't justify the cost of a moderate or better resort, when I could get a suite at the Doubletree at DD for the price of a moderate. Without early entry, there just didn't seem to be any point. Plus, I'll have my own car with me. So transportation is not a problem. Even so, the location is so close to DD, that I'll be still be able to use their transportation.

I agree with Pluto People, the magic for me is being with my family AND ON vacation, period.

Enjoy your stay and don't cry, you're going to DisneyWorld!:D :D

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I know that we will have a great time. We drive down so we won't have to rent a car and we really do spend very little time in the hotel room. Hopefully we won't get lost on our way to the parks every day. (my nightmare) We are staying at the Hampton Inn Maingate West and it is supposedly a really short easy trip.

Having said that, it will be really hard to convince me that onsite isn't better. I love being on property the whole vacation and we have had great experiences with the Disney transportation. I have e-mailed Disney about the reasons for my cancelling my reservations. I don't think they are too concerned about my one week at All-Star Movies, but there are hundreds of families like mine making these same decisions. With all the hotel rooms available in the Orlando area, they are going to have to provide enough services and perks to make the extra cost justified. I think that is especially true for the value resorts. The people who can afford the Yacht and Beach Club aren't considering offsite, but the families looking for something in the under $100 range are.

Again, thanks for the support. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sher

I am so sorry that you feel bad. I love WDW I brought into DVC and I do love the place. However there are a bunch of other things to visit and see in Orlando besides WDW. If you always stay at WDW you might never even realize that these places exist.

look at this site in the attractions area
http://www.floridakiss.com

what the address of the place that you are staying at - and the city - it could be Lake Buena Vista, Kissimee or Orlando. If I know where it is located I could probably send you a map.

At least you get to go, LOL

My dd and I have been trying to find decent airfare from Mn over spring break.

No way, spending 900. before we even get there is too much.

The Hampton Inn lbv is a hop and and a skip from mgm and epecot.

I bet the rooms are nicer than the Allstars, too.

Enjoy.

Herc

Sher we have some friends who always stay at the Hampton Inn. They go each spring mainly to watch the Braves and WDW is almost an afterthought to them!

Sher, don't cry. The Hampton Inn is a great place and very close to WDW and Universal. Think of all the "Magic" you can have with that $50/day you'll be saving! :D

I've stayed on-site and off, often with a mix. Last December I tried the ASSp for one night just to see what it was like. I even invited a friend to stay over that night. My friend took one look and decided to stay with another person that night ... at the Caribe Royale! I didn't really enjoy the ASSp even though I do understand why some people may choose it.

At least you are going and I know you'll have fun.

I think there should be a supoort group (ala AA) for those brainwashed by Disney. Like a cult....

Hampton Inn's are great. Never had a complaint. Only thing I'd check is when the Hotel was built. I've always learn from mistakes and one is that stay away from older Hotels.... The LBV I think is new (2-3 years old).

Breakfast is very good (and thus are saving $5/person/day) minimum. Take some fruit or yogurt from breakfast and you will be saving more.

A busy day at the park and then a larger, more comfortable room at night and you are far ahead of the game.

Also note that if you are driving, you only pay once for parking so you can leave during the day and return later if you want.

Good restaurants off site, and downtime.

BTW, what is so good about the All Star Hotles, they look very basic, are far from the parks and some times you need a break.....

BTW, what is so good about the All Star Hotles, they look very basic, are far from the parks and some times you need a break.....

I do agree but I think the All Stars offer people who normally cannot or will not pay for the onsite experience a chance to try it out. It's not for me but some people really like them, and I'm glad at least it's there as an option.

Too bad about the experience MJames 41 had with the MOWC. I stayed there in May of 99 and LOVED it. It's very close to the parks and a beautiful, though not "magical" hotel. I remember emailing the company when I got back about how well we were treated, we went to celebrate my friend's adoption of her daughter, and they wrote and called me back.

On the other hand I had to email Disney about my trip to ASMusic to complain about their lack of customer service. It was horrendous. They, too, called and wrote me back, which was a major plus in my book.

Everyone has their own criteria for what makes the perfect vacation, and it's impossible to please everyone.

but I understand what you mean about saving the cash. We stayed off-site at VV for 10 days in late January and had a wonderful vacation. We had APs so our parking was covered. The cost savings measure of Disney doing away with EE pushed to implement our own cost saving measure. We enjoyed spending the money that Disney would have gotten. Just enjoy your family and try not to let where you are staying be the driving force of your vacation. Make it your family and have a blast.

PS It could be worse you could be staying at the MOWCC. :)

We stayed at HI Maingate West one nite then Courtyard DD (7 free nights with marriott gc's). The HI Maingate West was fantastic-close to the parks, wonderful cont brkfst., pleasant people. If I had not had the free nites I never would have left there.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Just a few more comments.

All-Star Movies----We have stayed here 3 times and LOVED it. The total Disney theming is just what we want on a Disney vacation. We have also stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and it was very nice too. We just don't spend enough time in our room to justify the moderate rate. I hate to see people bad mouth the value resorts because I think it might scare people who are considering them. Before our first trip, I thought that it would be better to not go at all than to have to stay at one of the All-Stars which is why we chose CB. Now, having stayed at both, we like the All-Star Movies better! Everyone has different wants and needs.

I hope you all have great trips. Have a Disney day!!

Sher

I have stayed at Poly, Beach Club and, last year, the Hilton in DD. We got it via Priceline for $75. The rooms were just as nice, the pool was great, the hotel was beautiful, the restaraunt was wonderful. We easily could walk to DD. The shuttles were free. The only gripe I had was the timeshare people we learned to avoid:) I really never noticed the difference in the "magic". Indeed, the housekeeping staff even arranged our girls babies and blankies in various ways each night. We spent $6 on a few days to drive to the parks. It was a short, easy ride.

In addition, we requested a room high up facing DD and had an amazing view. All that for $75 a night. We spent our saved money on fancy dinners and souveniers and still had some left over. I really don't think you will miss a thing staying offsite.

Have fun.
angie
(currently scheduled for WL in April, but will take one of the DWV resorts on priceline if I can get them for the price I want...in a heartbeat)

Every trip to WDW is different, and everyone's needs are different. The most important thing is to enjoy it as much as possible, without breaking the bank.

We have stayed offsite and onsite. I agree that they are different vacations, there is something magical about being onsite.

We (my wife, my 7 yo son and I) are going in April this year, and for the first time in 4 years we have chosen to stay offsite, entirely to save money. We did this for a number of reasons, although EE never has meant much to me, E-ride nights do (they are back but weren't when we booked) and frankly the final straw for me was when I found out that they weren't delivering packages to the rooms any more. I know they are going to the resort, but it's not quite the same. We got the Comfort Suites Maingate East with an Expedia Special rate of $55 per night. We are there from the 19 - 29, 10 nights for $627 including taxes. I could not possibly do that onsite. In addition, this has 2 queen size beds and a day bed, and a kitchenette. My wife and I are not small people and the double beds in the value and moderates just don't cut it for us. We usually get a towncar or limo, I hate the shuttles so when you combine a roundtrip you get pretty close to the cost of a rental car and with the AP passes parking is not an extra cost. Having said that I would never have done so without first checking on this site to make sure the hotel was ok, and I have found only positive reviews for the CSME.

In fact we are going with my Mother in Law, my Sister in Law and her 5 year old son, my Brother his wife and their infant. Although the room would have slept 6, at $55 per night we all got our own rooms and could have privacy.

Onsite we have stayed at the Contemporary, the Treehouses at the Disney Institute, All Star Sports, The Bungalows at the Disney Institute and Coronado Springs. Of the places that we have stayed onsite we loved the bungalows at the Disney Institue, they were perfect for us, and with AP discounts could usually be had quite reasonably. I was very unhappy to hear that they were shutting down and the DI was becoming part of DVC.

Offsite we have stayed at the HIFS (we went down on buisness) and they were good too, but not the same as on-site, and years ago when we were very young and adventurous we stayed a very long weekend at an Econo-Lodge, which was actually not too bad, it had a nice pool, but the gap in the room door allowed the palmetto bugs free access to the room. We used a towel to keep traffic to a minimum when we were in the room. Other than that the room was fine.

In the end, it is a Disney trip, and most of your time is in the parks anyway. When my brother had a car at the All-Star Sports he used it instead of the busses because it was faster and more comfortable. If the hotel is close it shouldn't be that different.

We were looking forward to our 1st onsite trip in Sept. scheduled for FW cabins, we had to reschedule and now it will cost us $250 compared to $150. So we are staying offsite for $95 (2BR suite with kitchen) we will use the extra money for a couple of character dinners!

Sher,

I was booked for a week at WL for a $144.00 per night rate, but, I was playing around with Priceline and got the Hilton DD for $60.00 per night. The rate difference pays for our tickets!
I am bummed still, and it's been a couple weeks since I made the cancellation, but, the way I look at it, the onsite resorts are not going anywhere, and when I'm ready to spend the extra money, I'll be more appreciative of staying onsite!

Leah :)

Sher,

From what I can tell, you've made absolutely the right decision for all the right reasons. And I honestly think that once you get there, you will still have a fabulous time. The Disney resorts are always the icing on the cake for me, but I've stayed offsite plenty of times and still appreciate everything about the parks. There's nothing to stop you visiting a resort or two for a meal, either, if you really need that Disney 'fix' ! And I also think you should email Disney to let them know exactly why you cancelled your reservations. The loss of EE is a big blow, IMHO, and they need to address this sooner rather than later.

Have fun!

We are going in march and got the CBR (moderate) with the amex discount for $107 a night
plus tax.
just a thought

I hate to see people bad mouth the value resorts because I think it might scare people who are considering them.

Don't worry about that Sher, it that were the case NO ONE would stay off site after reading the Disney Resorts board the way they bad mouth it over there!

I, personally, was let down by All Stars because I expected the WORLD! A bad review here or there lowers expectations and when you go you say "it's not THAT BAD!"

Like you said, everyone has their own wants and needs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter