I am NOT Leaving Without a Brioche Ice Cream Sandwich! - A May 2016 Dining Report - UPDATE 06/26

LinderInWonderland

DIS Veteran
As promised on my First Ever Trip Report, here is my First Ever Dining Report!

We ate SO MUCH food - and more importantly, so much NEW food! Our trip was from May 14th through May 21st. It was my sister-in-law, husband and myself on the regular Disney Dining Plan.

Here's the breakdown. I will update them with links as the posts are written.

Day 1: Fairfax Fare, Resort snacks

Day 2 (Part 1): Starring Rolls, Mama Melrose

Day 2 (Part 2): Min & Bills, Star Wars Dessert Party

Day 3: Flametree BBQ, The Plaza

Day 4: Flower & Garden Outdoor Kitchens (UK, Japan, America), Chefs de France, L'Artisan des Glaces

Day 5: Boma, Pinocchio Village Haus

Day 6: Resort breakfast, Biergarten, Raglan Road

Day 7: Kona Cafe, Hollywood Brown Derby

Day 8: Sunshine Tree Terrace, Columbia Harbor House, Be Our Guest

Can't wait for the stroll down Food Memory Lane!

Last edited:

You had me at brioche ice cream sandwich....a family favorite.

Well I'm not leaving without a brioche sandwich either so you better deliver :-) Can't wait to eat all about it

Looking forward to your reviews.

Thank you - and thank you for joining in!

You had me at brioche ice cream sandwich....a family favorite.

It was so darn good - and well worth braving the elements to get! Welcome!

Did you drink the slushes?!?!?!

So many slushes - but not as many alcohol slushes as I'd had my eye on. Still, I was hoping you would join in because I did get to have one of your recommendations later in the trip!

Well I'm not leaving without a brioche sandwich either so you better deliver :-) Can't wait to eat all about it

I promise to try!! Thanks for joining in!

Can't wait!!

Welcome, welcome!!

DAY ONE

Fairfax Fare edged out our original plans to have lunch at the Boardwalk Bakery, mostly because we are giant kids as soon as we hit the resort and want to be in a park ASAP (against our better judgment or any regard for our aging bodies). Our big goal on this trip was to try places that were new to us. The only planned repeat was Biergarten, though we did end up with a couple of unplanned repeats by the end of the trip. Enough of that... on to the food!

We asked for two Fairfax salads , a half slab of ribs, two sodas, an iced tea, 2 vanilla cakes and their special dessert, a Pink Lemonade cupcake. We received everything accurately, except for the desserts. Dessert ended up being 2 Pink Lemonade cupcakes and a Banana Parfait. When we asked about it, they told us that they were out of the other desserts and we got the last 2 cupcakes. D was a little bummed because he wanted the vanilla cake, but we moved on. We sat under the roofed area in the corner over by the Victory garden. There was a bit of a breeze and the shade was lovely.

At left, half-slab of ribs. At right, Fairfax salad. Not shown: baked beans.

The menu description of the Fairfax salad: Barbecued Pulled Pork Wedge Salad, Bacon, Roasted Corn Tomato Salsa, Crispy Tortilla Strips, and Cheddar served with a Jalapeño Ranch Dressing

Melissa and I split one salad and the ribs while D ate the other salad. The Jalapeno Ranch dressing was really good - nice little spicy kick, not too heavy or 'ranchy' (I don't like ranch dressing, as a rule). I really liked the corn tomato salsa. The pulled pork was just okay.

The ribs were cooked well and falling off the bone, but they were very heavily sauced. We've already established that I don't love wet food and when meat is sauced that much, I feel like they're trying to cover some sins. Still, they were tasty and the sauce wasn't too sweet and had a nice flavor. All in all, the entrees tasted fine and were light enough for a hot day. Thumbs up. Not way up, but still up.

I love bananas. I love bananas in desserts. Banana pudding (and really, artificially banana flavored anything) is the ranch dressing of desserts for me. I did try a bite, but I did not like it one bit. Derrick ate some as well, but pudding desserts don't seem to hold up well in high humidity and he remembers it getting a bit runny and ultimately, a forgettable experience.

The star of this meal was the Pink Lemonade cupcake.

What a good cupcake! On reflection, this was the best cupcake of the whole trip! The little pearls tasted like strawberry Quik (in a good way) and the gorgeous pink cake itself had great lemon flavor. Not too tart or too cloyingly sweet. A real Goldilocks dessert! :laughing:

Look at the detail on this white chocolate decoration! Love! (Also, this close you can see the chocolate sweating, so imagine how runny that parfait was!)

All in all, I was satisfied with this meal and would eat there again - after I finish trying everything else.

Since we are giant babies in the heat, we ended up back at the resort relatively early. I just wanted to be horizontal and in AC, so I went to the room while D and Melissa ate at the food court. D brought a light dinner back for me.

A damn tasty minestrone and some meh melon.

Seriously, that was a good minestrone for anywhere. Lots of flavor, tons of veggies. Very satisfying. The melon wasn't very ripe, hence the 'meh'.

He also brought me a treat!

My first Mickey treat of the trip! I don't usually go for the chocolate-dipped ones, but it was a nice change. Anything Mickey-shaped tastes better, after all.

All in all, a decent day in QS dining!

That pink lemonade cupcake looks awesome! I will definitely be on the lookout for one on my next trip.

Great title and fantastic start :) Never tried Fairfax - we always try and do one new restaurant for every two favourites. I always have a must-do or dozen too but rarely hit them all - last trip I finally got an ice-cream macaron from the French bakery - awesome. Looking forward to hearing if you make it to that brioche :goodvibes:

Following

:welcome:

Following :)

:welcome:

That pink lemonade cupcake looks awesome! I will definitely be on the lookout for one on my next trip.

It was very good and I wish you luck in finding it on your trip! Disney cupcakes can get tricksy wth their flavor changes. Thanks for joining in!

Great title and fantastic start :) Never tried Fairfax - we always try and do one new restaurant for every two favourites. I always have a must-do or dozen too but rarely hit them all - last trip I finally got an ice-cream macaron from the French bakery - awesome. Looking forward to hearing if you make it to that brioche :goodvibes:

Thank you - and thanks for coming to play! There were SO many places I wanted to get to, but a body can only do so much. If I ever go for Flower & Garden again, I am going much earlier in the year and will keep my fingers crossed that the Desert Violet frozen lemonade will still be there.

Fairfax Faire looks yummy! I had to look it up to find out where it was...shows you how often I'm in DHS. Looking forward to more...your list looks great!!

Fairfax Faire looks yummy! I had to look it up to find out where it was...shows you how often I'm in DHS. Looking forward to more...your list looks great!!

Me too :) - We usually have lunch at Prime Time or Sci-Fi. We did try the QS Backlot or something. They took away my grilled vegetable sandwich there :(. It was my first time too here about two years ago.

Will have to try the ribs at Fairfax - love ribs!!

I had somehow never even read the menu for Fairfax before, but that salad looks really interesting. I'm going to jump over and start reading your trip report now too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter