Hybrid TT in August?

If you are comfortable towing, 500 miles shouldn't be an issue. It is 1004 miles from my house. We split up the drive on the way down so I can arrive to the Fort mid morning. We generally drive straight through on the way home.

j

When traveling we tend to pick Pilots. Bathrooms are usually clean, Store is has plenty of snacks, and coffee is pretty good. At least the one on Exit 2 in GA is.

We have a 35' tt and I have no issues with 600+ in a day. There's no doubt that it will be a bit slower when you are towing (more gas stops, slightly slower top speed, not quite as quick to zip between lanes to get around slower traffic, etc...), but as long as you don't find driving tiresome, you'll be fine. We'll be leaving FW in July and heading to a campground about an hour north of Atlanta (about 485 miles), and we anticipate not even leaving until 12-1 at the earliest.

So, I'm an 'A!'

Here's my thought on the daytime AC situation with a hybrid: why cool the areas you're not using in the high point of heat in the daytime? I'm thinking during the day your dog could be kept in the center section and you could get thermal-backed curtains front in front of the bunk ends. We use a thermal-backed curtain behind our cab in our class C and it really helps to have that space not being cooled (or heated in the cooler months). I would think a husky especially would appreciate a nice cool environment for naptime.

We have a hybrid and I agree that getting some kind of heat reflective cover for the bunk ends will be necessary in August. I did some research on the Popup Gizmos and felt the cost was a little much so we just bought two Grabber Outdoors All Weather Blankets that are the same size. We didn't need them on our most recent trip in November, but I'm sure we'll use them in March. I do recommend an oscillating fan to help push cool air into the bunk ends because no matter how good your ac is, they can get stuffy. Other than that we love our hybrid....it's a KZ Escape.

I would say option A if you are comfortable driving that distance in 1 shot.

I'm with Teamubr, leave early evening get 1/2 way or so under your belt and you'll pull in to The Fort around noonish.

You know what your comfortable with, I'm 1191 miles and I'll drive straight through on the return trip :drive:

Update …

Still haven’t decided which one I want to get yet, as I am writing this I am leaning to the Jayco X19H Hybrid. I went last weekend to look them over again. I also saw another possibility at another dealer, a Passport 239ML. It has a floorplan almost identical to the Crossfire 2200BH. The Passport has a three burner stove, oven, nicer outdoor kitchen, but a cargo capacity of about 1300lb vs the 2180lb in the Crossfire, and 1200 in the Jayco. Now I will not be able to use the extra cargo capacity with my current tow vehicle, but when I will be able to when I get a new one. Also the passport is a used 2018 model.

Here’s the dealer story on it:
The previous owners purchased it, took one trip with it, the husband got a new job with more pay and vacation time, so they traded it in and got a bigger Winnebago.

So being used, but still a 2018, it is only a little cheaper than a new one (but may be a lot cheaper after negotiations, etc. so it’s on the table, but in 3rd place).

I also went to a CAT scale and weight my truck empty at 4740lbs, and with GCWR of 10,000, and truck passengers and cargo estimated at 700lb, gives my max trailer weight at about 4500lb. Meaning only about 400lbs of cargo in the 2200bh and 239ML, and about 700lb in the X19H. Axle, tongue, truck GWR weights should all still be within limits.

Also glad to see the 500 miles in a day is doable. I estimate that to take about 10hrs. I just didn't know if that would be too long a drive towing, as I will be close to max on the truck.

We bought a camper then bought a diesel truck 6 weeks later. Now we wish we had bought the truck first and then the camper. The camper we really wanted was $1500 more, but too heavy for a gas truck. 6 weeks later to trade would have been $6500 more.

Maybe get as much truck as you can afford and then buy a camper to fit it. I know we wish we had. Just my humble opinion as to what would have been best for us.

Ok, I did it. Or at least agreed to a price and committed to the purchase on Friday (29th), expect to pick it up on Jan 6th.:yay:

I went with the Jayco Hybrid. I had a price I was willing to accept for both the Passport 239ML and Jayco X19H so I had to decide on one of them. In the end it came down to towablity with my current truck. If I gone with the 239ML I would most likely need to get a bigger truck in 2018, now I can wait on that until 2019 as originally planned.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. Now I guess I’ll get to move on to asking questions about how to do this thing or that thing works. Maybe someday even get to point of giving others advice and good as y’all have given me.:D

Thank you.:worship:
As see you at the Fort in Dec 2018, if not sooner.:)

Last edited:
As for the 500 miles in one day, it is doable. All depends on what you are comfortable driving. We leave from PA and drive to SC usually for the night. our last trip in Sept we drive straight thru until Exit 1 in GA. That trip we left at 3am and arrived at the campground around 6pm, cruise control set at 70. Now of course I am pulling a 43 ft fifth wheel, but I am comfortable with a long first day drive.

Congrats!

Now all the fun part. Deciding how everything works, outfitting it the way you want and planning the next trip.

I’m sure you’ll have lots of questions. Ask away. We’ve all been there.

j

PaHunter. I did get the camper that I thought would be easier to tow. I have no trouble driving long distances (in a car I have driven from Atlanta area to Oklahoma City and back several times :crazy2:), but might break this up into two days for our first trip Disney. Maybe stay the night somewhere just south of the FL - GA line in theLake City to Gainesville area. Then the next morning it will be a quick hop to FW.

I'm actually looking forward to figuring out how everything works, adapting from a motel way of thinking to an RV way of thinking when traveling, simple mods to personalize the trailer.:woohoo:

And yes, once I get it Pics will be coming!

I'm actually looking forward to figuring out how everything works, adapting from a motel way of thinking to an RV way of thinking when traveling, simple mods to personalize the trailer.:woohoo:

And yes, once I get it Pics will be coming!

Oh gosh, so much easier traveling by RV! Your toothbrush and toiletries are all exactly where you put them, your snacks and food are where you expect them to be, you don't have to scout for coffee you like in the morning, your kids can take along favorite toys and games, you have advil and cough drops in the middle of the night when you need them, etc. etc. etc.

We still hotel travel as well, and that has it's place, but RV travel is just so much easier with all of your own stuff already all moved in and waiting for you. You will love it!

Not oly are personal items, and coffee ready for you, but I am liking the idea of no longer having to throw away items when we didn't use all of it on our trip (milk, juice, other food). Now we take it home with us.

Daughter and son in law bought hybrid last year with 3 pop outs. I bought them reflective covers for the outside and cut those insulated panels for the inside for the sides and ends. (As mentioned above) Then I mounted on each pop out opening one of those metal fans like you get at Walmart, I think they are called Hawaiian Breeze or something and are about 10” in diameter. I mounted them upside down with cable clamps. It keeps the cool air circulating in the pop outs. Worked well at Gulf State Park in the summer with no shade.
For the winter time they have heated mattress covers.

Well, the thread was the hot weather question..... you are getting the cold weather hybrid figured by real life experience!

I know it does seem a bit odd that I asking about heat extremes, and then found my self in a cold extreme (at least an extreme here, about 17*F at the time the pic was taken, every night has been below freezing)

I now know how well the heat works:-), and how thaw out a frozen grey water drain line. :oops:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!