Hurricane interrupting purchase for anyone?

We've been going through this too. It was around Labor Day that DH called our closing company to inquire about our docs as others who closed after us had posted that they already had theirs. They said that it was delayed due to the estoppel, but honestly we wonder if they dropped the ball. Once we received them we immediately got them signed and notarized, then turned around and FedEx'd the docs/payment to them the next day so that it would not be lost in the hurricane. That was last week. Payment and docs were confirmed as being received. We're still waiting for the seller to submit their docs.

It's strange, you know I would expect that the seller would be the MOST motivated to send in the forms. Isn't it true that he (seller) doesn't pay anything (except out of the proceeds of the sale) and thus would only get his money that much faster by simply signing a paper and mailing it??Isn't it the buyer who has to go through the trouble of not just signing a form, but coming up with the cash? If I was a seller in this scenario, I would have those papers filled out and returned the SAME DAY I got them. Thanks for at least letting me know that my problem isn't unique, I just don't understand why sellers would cause ANY delay...

Sellers have to get docs notarised. I cannot imagine this being a priority in a state almost without power at the moment.

I think i'd have a little patience with this one.

Our seller is in Massachusetts. They have had the closing docs for a week now and I got an email from our broker today saying they were going to execute and send them shortly, whatever that means.

Oh man. I sent my closing docs back about three weeks ago-been going nuts, but assume hurricane delays. And then I learned a couple days ago that the sellers, in Canada, haven't returned their docs yet.

I'm STILL waiting, and I signed docs and sent in my money 2 weeks ago (just a day or 2 BEFORE the hurricane)... Anyone out there have any idea how much longer I should expect too wait? I don't want to nag the closing company (they told me 5 days ago they are waiting on the seller docs and that FEDEX may have been slowed down by the hurricane). Maybe I'm just more responsible than the average person, but I mean if you ARE selling something I assume you want your money as soon as possible - otherwise why put it up for sale??

- by the way, the broker was talking to me BEFORE I signed and sent in the money, but now I hear nothing. I understand she was almost certainly affected by the hurricane so I am trying to be very patient, still it's very unnerving to send a lot of money and then hear nothing (except from the Title company)..

I understand the frustration Pluto, though you have been waiting longer than me. I sent our closing docs via Fedex from NY to Florida a week ago Saturday, and the title company did receive them last Tuesday, so I'd say the hurricane had little to no affect on that. However, my sellers are located in Florida and they have been in touch with the broker and said hopefully they will send their closing docs this week and that the hurricane through them for a loop. I'm trying to be understanding and patient, but I really want to move on and be able to use my points.

Actually I don't know WHERE the sellers live, but even if it IS Florida, they did get the documents BEFORE the hurricane and were talking SERIOUS money here. I mean, unless someone is buying a contract for only 10 points, we're talking an average purchase between 10-35 thousand dollars... why WOULDNT a seller be EXTREMELY motivated to get their money?

Last edited:
Actually I don't know WHERE the sellers live, but even if it IS Florida, they did get the documents BEFORE the hurricane and were talking SERIOUS money here. I mean, unless someone is buying a contract for only 10 points, we're talking an average purchase between 10-35 thousand dollars... why WOULDNT a seller be EXTREMELY motivated to get their money? Remember that even though a buyer sends the money, the seller does NOT get it until AFTER the deal is completed. Maybe I'm just not rich enough, but I know if I was selling I would have those documents sent back the same day - EVEN in a hurricane.

You may want to ask the title company if anything specific is delaying them. I sent my closing docs in Aug 14th and was wondering why it's taking so long for the sellers to return their docs. Turns out it's a divorce situation and some of the steps take a little longer. ... 80 days after placing the offer and I'm STILL waiting.

Wow that SUCKS! Sorry for them and you. I hadn't thought of that.... I suppose it gets complicated in such a situation - but shouldn't the broker tell a buyer that? After all, if it's going to have such a major effect on a purchase (an 80 day delay is crazy) I would think they should tell a prospective buyer, no? Then again, I think my contract gives the seller (and buyer) a LIMITED amount of time to close the deal. I as a buyer have done my part, but I wonder (and do NOT want to find out) what will happen if the seller delays for so long that time runs out. Anybody been through that or know what happens if the seller fails to sign?

Wow that SUCKS! Sorry for them and you. I hadn't thought of that.... I suppose it gets complicated in such a situation - but shouldn't the broker tell a buyer that? After all, if it's going to have such a major effect on a purchase (an 80 day delay is crazy) I would think they should tell a prospective buyer, no? Then again, I think my contract gives the seller (and buyer) a LIMITED amount of time to close the deal. I as a buyer have done my part, but I wonder (and do NOT want to find out) what will happen if the seller delays for so long that time runs out. Anybody been through that or know what happens if the seller fails to sign?

I asked why nobody told me that and I was told that they don't just freely give that information out. The buyer has to ask, I guess. And I can tell you that as of tomorrow we'll be 2 weeks past our contract closing date. No additional forms to sign. I can just back out if I want, without penalty.

Actually I don't know WHERE the sellers live, but even if it IS Florida, they did get the documents BEFORE the hurricane and were talking SERIOUS money here. I mean, unless someone is buying a contract for only 10 points, we're talking an average purchase between 10-35 thousand dollars... why WOULDNT a seller be EXTREMELY motivated to get their money?
Hi: I'm a seller and I just want to put the other side of the picture. I returned closing docs on Sept 5th. I am an international seller. The docs arrived in the U.S. on Sept 7th, cleared Customs straight away. They have still not been delivered to First American and despite repeated contacts by me (in the UK) and First American in Orlando to try and track the package which should have arrived in Lake Mary well before Irma, FEDEX have not been able to identify where my closing docs are. Sometimes, delay is nothing to do with buyers/sellers/agents. It may just be that the courier's processes fall apart in the face of extreme weather. I suspect this is not the only transaction that has been messed up...

I asked why nobody told me that and I was told that they don't just freely give that information out. The buyer has to ask, I guess. And I can tell you that as of tomorrow we'll be 2 weeks past our contract closing date. No additional forms to sign. I can just back out if I want, without penalty.

Just remember to ask next time when you buy your next contract..... it won't take long.

We live in Florida and got our closing docs Thursday night before Irma. The bank closed before I got off work on Friday to get the cashier's check and did not reopen until the following Thursday!

BTW 1 Mom, what resort are you buying?

I'm getting a little nervous that my sellers maybe are having regrets. Been waiting on their documents since labor day. At first I blamed Irma... Not sure what to think now. My last email to Fidelity went unanswered.

I'm getting a little anxious myself. The sellers have also had closing docs since Labor Day and still haven't sent them, although they have been in touch with Fidelity and said they HOPED to get them in last week but I never heard anything, and I sent my weekly check-in to Fidelity this morning asking if they were sent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter