Hunky Tuna Tostada - Fall 2017 DR - completed 7/12 - Animal Kingdom Snacks

Your lunch looks great. Definitely big servings!

Canada is always the best place to start!

This doesn't even look yummy. Poor R, not what he was hoping for!

Now this looks great! I also have not met cheese that I didn't love!

Oh my! I would be in heaven over this. All my favourite flavours! I think I could eat cardboard if it had caramel sauce on it!
I have to say, despite a couple of missteps, I was really impressed with Festival of the Holidays since it's not one that gets much press. I am looking forward to returning! We weren't intending to do this festival as a meal so I think it was easier to take the few missed opportunities in stride. And in fairness we usually don't have as many desserts at the festivals as we did at this one, so maybe it was a reflection that desserts overall are easier to mess up? I don't know but I do know I can't wait until November to try again!!

Oh my gosh, Melinda! You don't know how long this thread has sat in my "Watched Threads" list. Probably almost as long as you've been writing it, and shortly after you started following my TRs and I noticed how many of the same Disfriends we have. I FINALLY got a chance to read it (as well as your Aulani report) and I'm so glad to be caught up now! Congrats on your marriage :lovestruc I quoted a few stand-out things along the way as I read...
:welcome: Yay! So glad you're here. You're practically a celebrity :P so I am so glad you caught up. If you're anything like me, you have a ton of reports "watched" to binge on for later... I'm still working through some of my Disboards favorites' reports :oops: But I am glad to have you at any stage in the party, AND you missed the huge wedding planning hiatus I took, hahaha

Um. Yes. All the yes. I wish I could have Boma breakfast every day. But if not, every trip will have to do.
I am so glad they are mostly great with your allergies, even if you have to check behind the chef on occasion :rolleyes1 My sister has a lot of digestive issues that have been diagnosed in the last year so I love reading reports of how the allergy meals go for when she's able to join us again. Dang now I want Mickey waffles!

This is soo pretty! I've never watched Illuminations from Japan before.
It was a nice change of scenery! I loved this area, and the ability to get a neat photo with the torii gate.

Such a cute hidden touch! And this martini looks amazing.
It's so good! Dessert in a glass. And, I mean, anything with a hidden mickey obviously tastes better!

I've still never done this, but I really want to! Maybe next time...
Every trip I swear I'm going to slow down and spend more time on Main Street... little by little it's working, but never the way I imagine. It's hard to just people watch and chill for long periods of time if you're not a true local and the Peoplemover is calling! :rotfl:

This is soo cute! :lovestruc
Thank you! I can't wait to see more. Ahem... come on photographer! I'm sure you feel the pain of being freshly married awaiting all the photos!!

:eek: Amazing! :love::worship:

Again, congrats! Can't wait to see/hear more.
I can't wait to see more either! I have a whole reflection post on the wedding typed up but am making myself wait until I finish this report to post it since I don't have much more to go. And also hoping our photographers get our gallery completed and sent to us before then.... :teeth:

If you ever make it up to the real Canada on a beer run, make sure to look me up!
Oh no.. you've just planted a seed!!! I actually really want to get up to Canada but every time we're avaiable to travel and I've checked on airfare, the tickets are quite high. Darn academic schedules. We will get there for sure! I am a for real old lady, I think a lovely scenic trip to Maine and Canada would be a fantastic summer vacation. For some reason Disney keeps draining my bank account though :confused3

I know from personal experience that we're only about a 30 hour drive away from you guys. :laughing:
OH GAWD I didn't realize it was that long of a trip. I mean, when I read that you and N made it in 3(?) days, I just thought about the fantastic diversions you must have seen (like South of the Border, obviously) and didn't actually think of the cold hard facts of how long a trip that is. Yikes! I hate car trips unless the beach or Disney are at the end of the journey so I don't know what I would do if I had to drive 30 hours. Now I'm going to have to go look up N's podcasts because they must be GREAT if they kept him entertained all that time!

SUCH a cool photo! :lovestruc And this simple little cheese offering looks so delicious.
I love to get a decent photo every now and again, mostly I just capture my poorly cared for cuticles in bad lighting :rotfl: That cheese was good! And honestly it was great to be able to get such a small portion, those $18 cheese plate appetizers at the Signature restaurants are often enough to spoil my appetite for dinner.

Yum! Zack was especially fond of this, I think because rum is his drink of choice
Because he is a man of distinguished and impeccable taste obviously! And I love that he is not too proud to get a pretty slush in a martini glass. That's a good man :D

I missed this! Now i need to go for Christmas again.
I mean, anything to justify another trip :laughing: Don't worry, all your Disneyland reporting has me dying to get back to Disneyland!!!

Zack fell asleep when we did AA too. So he requested going on our January trip... and then they took it down unexpectedly!

giphy.gif

What's even more rude is I can't remember whether I've seen the refurbed one :scratchin

Cheeeeeeese... I surprised myself with how much I liked the brie.
Well I haven't met a brie I didn't like, so this was right up my alley!

ugh guys, how can we have a disboards friends meet? How??
Let's just plan one!!! Who wants to start throwing out dates? Cause I will commit to being there!!!

I've thought about staying there, but I don't like how spread out the hotel is.
Yeah I was overwhelmed at first and we DID have to consult a map a few times but by day #3 we had it down. I looked at SSR again recently for a trip where we'll likely spend a lot of time at the pool and Disney Springs but I think we're going to do Coronado Springs instead. Also a super spread out resort... SSR is a great resort though if you just want to feel "away from it all"

That's too bad that it was dry, it looks really cute.
Yeah it was adorable! And the flavor was unique, it just wasn't a necessary repeat.

Yum! And I love your nail polish, I think I have that color.
Haha, I have started to notice my nails more after all of the dining reports! I have to make sure they look halfway decent since they're holding all the food!

Seems like a lot of stuff was dry, that's a shame.
Yeah, I think it's hard because Disney has to make so many baked goods at a time and don't know how many will necessarily be purchased that day. The booths at festivals are especially bad for dried out stuff. Oh well, glad we gave it a shot.

Your magic band is so cute! Is it a specialty one or did you get a monorail sticker?
I got the decal from My Fantasy Bands! I have started declining magic bands as I pretty much just wear this one and a yellow one with a tribal decal on it :laughing: I probably have 25 of them, it's out of control!

That is really cool. I knew it opened, but I've never seen it happen before.
Yeah I'm not sure if we had either! It was mesmerizing!!!

Congrats on your marriage :)

Thank you!!! And Happy Father's Day to your fiance!!!

All of those festival drinks sound amazing, too bad they weren't as delicious as anticipated. I am glad you found a better than acceptable dessert in the end.
The festival was definitely worth trying even if there were a few "off" choices. I have found with the festivals that something can be the worst dish on one day and the best dish on another so I would give most things another shot! And I would absolutely seek out that apple fritter thingy again! SO GOOD!!!

congrats hun! You look stunning and that photo is breathtaking! so happy for you!
Thank you so much!!!

I'm so glad you're back! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You look so beautiful! I can't wait to hear all about the wedding and see more pictures!
I can't wait to see more pictures either, haha! I am growing impatient even though it's only been three weeks!!! I will do a little wedding wrap up post when I get to the end of our December trip :)

Welcome back and congratulations!

Thank you so much! I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks. I am ready to have another party! :rotfl2:

If you're anything like me, you have a ton of reports "watched" to binge on for later... I'm still working through some of my Disboards favorites' reports :oops:

100%. I've been actively catching up while I have a few days between road trips, and I've still got a couple more left to go. And I haven't been actively searching for new reports either. Those are just the ones that have been sitting there for weeks...or months... :blush:

AND you missed the huge wedding planning hiatus I took, hahaha

:laughing: I know too well what that kind of busy feels like.

My sister has a lot of digestive issues that have been diagnosed in the last year so I love reading reports of how the allergy meals go for when she's able to join us again.

I totally know what that's like! I hope she can go back to Disney sometime soon and find lots of places to accommodate her. Disney is one of the few places outside of my own home where I typically feel totally comfortable ordering food.

I'm sure you feel the pain of being freshly married awaiting all the photos!!

Absolutely!! We were lucky in that we got a sneak peak less than a week after the wedding with probably almost a dozen. But then I just got greedy and wanted them ALL! :laughing: And that took a while.

I am a for real old lady, I think a lovely scenic trip to Maine and Canada would be a fantastic summer vacation.

I'm so with you there! Maine is so quaint and pretty in the summer. And I love Eastern Canada in the summer, too. Just really lovely! Lots of little festivals, beaches, seafood, scenic drives, etc. (Or in the fall when the leaves change colour, too. That's one time we really shine up here. But that wouldn't work so well with a typical school schedule.)

Yikes! I hate car trips unless the beach or Disney are at the end of the journey

Me too. And it's SO far. But when Disney is calling, it's amazing what you can handle!

Now I'm going to have to go look up N's podcasts because they must be GREAT if they kept him entertained all that time!

I seriously don't know how he does it. :confused3 He'll just drive and drive for days. When we drove down last time, I drove a total of about 2 hours. He did the rest.

Glad to hear Saratoga worked out so well for you. We've never considered staying there largely because the large layout and multiple bus stops sounded like more of a pain than it was worth. Maybe we'll give it a try one day.
It ended up really exceeding my expectations since I just sort of booked it in a pinch. We looked at it again for August but I think we're going to stay at Coronado. OMG I JUST REALIZED IT'S WHILE YOU'RE THERE! We have not pulled the trigger on booking yet so it's not 100% but it's looking like I will be at Coronado Springs August 16-19. Any chance we could meet up for birthday drinks? I know you have friends or family joining you so no worries if it doesn't work out but I'd love to say hello!

Yum! This looks so good. I"m a total sucker for an Italian sandwich too so this would be right tup my alley!
I feel like I've seen this on other menus too. Definitely did not disappoint!

Yum! I don't think I'd ever seen this before. I love, love, love cinnamon so this would definitely hit the spot!
It was good! It's odd that what you typically sort of taste in the flavors of a hot holiday punch worked in a slush but it was really good! I would definitely get it again.

Speaking of hitting spots! Pumpkin beer and apple turnover sound and look divine.
Oh my gosh all the yum. I hate that I got so far behind but I love having Christmas in June again to think of all these yummy treats :rotfl:

December 22 continued:

From our sugar high at the Odyssey, we ventured on and found ourselves ready to take a trip through the history of human communication!

lsxu6zM.png

I get sad if I don't get to visit Space Jesus every time I go to Epcot

CGT96SQ.png

(I know it's not Jesus, I just like to call him that)

We also like to out-do each other with ridiculous ride photos on this one and I think I won this round...

LKwTSq1.png

Finally after about the 5 beers I mentioned in the last installment, several unintentional snacks, a nighttime spectacular float viewing, and riding an attraction, I was ready for more "real" food

yQ6NW8J.png

MY TAMALE! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Shredded Beef Tamale with Avocado Crema and Cilantro Rice – $5.75

and I have to say, my dream came true. I mean, it's not better than an authentic homemade tamale but it was certainly what I had in mind. Savory and slightly spicy, with a nice texture to the masa. The rice that it was served with was actually super delicious as well. I would highly recommend this and hope they will bring tamales to ALL the festivals! In fact, while I'm dreaming, maybe they could have a whole tamale booth sometime. The value on this wasn't great, but it is an Epcot festival, so it wasn't the biggest rip off of the day either (looking at you, France chocolate yule log yuckiness :rolleyes:)

We apparently had fastpasses for Frozen, so we went to go tour Arendelle

nMQAwTt.png

Love the face of the girl down in front!

We checked out the other tamale offering at the Las Posadas booth but decided to skip it... I was having an unusual dinner craving and could easily pass up the Mexico booth as I tend to be disappointed with their offerings.

And to answer the other question I left you with from the last installment, yes, R did talk me into dinner at Disney Springs again. I was craving fish and chips (which is super unusual for me as I don't eat seafood very often) and R used this as an opportunity to convince me to return to the Boathouse. We don't make it there very often since they don't take Tables in Wonderland, so this was only our second visit.

CaRceLW.png

We sat out at the bar on the water and the weather was absolutely perfect to enjoy the Disney Springs area at night.

F5HyZCS.png

Of course, you know us, we started with adult libations.

csQQMNf.png

I went with one of their seasonal special offerings, The Old Fashioned Christmas. "Angels Envy Bourbon mixed with Fresh Cranberry & Rosemary" ($15) Um. This was... LAME! This wasn't even a great old fashioned, but then it just had some fresh cranberries and rosemary gunking it up, there was no perceptible cranberry or rosemary flavor. For $15, you need to up your game, Boathouse.

R went with a Maker's Mark and soda water, his usual. I didn't photograph it, but it looks like bourbon in a glass with water. His drink was $12.75.

Za3eszL.png

(the future Mr. Pepperandchips)

We also had worked up a fairly good appetite by this point so we ordered an appetizer to share:

MKqEwcZ.png

Firecracker shrimp - $16 - Sriracha Mayo, Serrano Chilis, Sweet Peppers. This was good and a fairly large portion for an appetizer. Plenty to share, for sure. We liked this but I think I prefer the firecracker shrimp at Yak & Yeti. Yes, yes, I know the Yak & Yeti ones are certainly frozen but these weren't fresh shrimp either and I found myself missing the crunch and the creaminess on the Yak & Yeti variety.

For entrees, I convinced R to order fish and chips and share with me.

G8VHc6w.png

ALsEiRp.png

Crispy Panko-fried Fish of the Day, served with Tartar Sauce, Lemon, and Fresh-cut Fries ($18) These hit the spot. I think it has been cod as the fish of the day every time we've been, but this is a nice option for fish and chips and is always fresh and mild and perfectly crisp. Their house made tartar sauce is also really nice.

Meanwhile, I'd heard that you can get the best ever burger at the Boathouse, and I am a burgertarian, so you know that's what I'd have to get....

lbAcro6.png

Xa3S7li.png

Classic Cheeseburger ($18) BOATHOUSE Custom Grind, Beefsteak Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, and Pickle served with Fresh-cut Fries

OMYGAWD, yes. This is the best burger on property! It was cooked perfectly and totally surprised me for being so great at a seafood restaurant. The fries were great too, definitely had that hand cut appeal and perfectly seasoned.

I also had to make a different choice for round two on the cocktails since I wanted something fun and the Christmas/bourbon/produce section mash-up was not doing it for me.

715ZXOn.png

I went with the White Sangria $13 - Carpene Malvolti prosecco, brandy, elder flower liqueur, fresh citrus. They do make a good sangria and I really enjoyed this with my burger.

The total for our meal was $98.78, but we got a 10% discount on the food with our AP of $5.20, bringing the total to $93.24. Not exactly quick service prices, but this is a pretty good option at Disney Springs and not too far out of line with our other favorites like Homecoming. I really like Boathouse but I do wish they would participate in TiW - we would definitely return more often. The ambiance out at the bar on the water was also perfect since there was only a slight chill in the air, and it really is beautiful just sitting out there with the glow of the evening lights :cloud9:

Up next: Our final day. How did that happen?!

We really liked Blaze pizza when we tried it, we don’t have any around our neck of the woods!

Both of your sandwiches look really good and I love house made chips. Glad you enjoyed SS, we have never stayed here.

How cool to see someone who reminded you of your grammy especially at the holiday season.

I am glad R’s third dessert was the charm!

I commented to soon, lol! The Boathouse burger looks so delicious, I could eat that right now before bed!

I wanted to add how beautiful your wedding photos that you have so far are!!

Last edited:

I'm glad you got to enjoy more of the Festival of the Holidays! Seems I missed out on some of the things you tried on my one day visit there (too bad I don't get to go this holiday season as my puppy means I can't really go away for the weekend without planning accordingly although I wonder if my mother calls the Ritz - if they will let me get away with bringing Gantu with me) You made me want to try the tamales.

Boathouse is awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed your food there. I think I disagree with you on the yak & yeti shrimp versus boathouse shrimp but that's ok. We've never had their burger but that's good to know it is amazing as Shaun would probably love it!

You just made me realize I have no Disney Springs time planned for our September trip. HOW DID I LET THIS HAPPEN?? That burger alone looks good enough to make it worth the trip, and also Homecomin, which we've never been to.
Oh, and I just remembered that we have a Blaze pizza about 20 minutes away that I didn't know about. Will have to try that as well!

but I was able to rent DVC points and get a great rate ($140 per night) for a standard studio

Wow that's a great price! I'd definitely consider Saratoga for a rate like that

I had the Italian Flatbread sandwich with house made chips - Ham, Salami, Mortadella, Pepperoncini, Lettuce, Tomato and Provolone Cheese with Red Wine Vinaigrette Mayonnaise wrapped in a Flatbread and served with House-made Chips or Vegetable Slaw ($11.49). This was good, the bread was fresh and soft and I LOVE Italian sandwiches so this was a hit for me.

This looks really, really good! Speaking of Italian sandwiches, have you had muffuletta from New Orleans? Seems like something you'd enjoy!

I'm a major sucker for France's seasonal festival slushes, so I had the Spiced Rum Punch Slush: Spiced Rum, Rhum Clement V.S.O.P., Orange and Pineapple Juice with Cinnamon –$10.75. This was an interesting change from the usual citrus offerings at the Food and Wine or Flower and Garden festival kiosks. You could definitely taste the orange and the spices.

I can't imagine a cinnamon-y slush... but it does look pretty!

We stopped in to the American Adventure and checked out the hidden Mickeys on the gingerbread capitol,

This is adorable, and I had no idea it was a thing!

Looooove the monorail decal on your Magic Band!

This looks like heaven on Earth, wow!

How have I never noticed Space Jesus before?!

First thing I noticed! And then the little girl in the back!

I went with one of their seasonal special offerings, The Old Fashioned Christmas. "Angels Envy Bourbon mixed with Fresh Cranberry & Rosemary" ($15) Um. This was... LAME! This wasn't even a great old fashioned, but then it just had some fresh cranberries and rosemary gunking it up, there was no perceptible cranberry or rosemary flavor. For $15, you need to up your game, Boathouse.

Ugh, it's such a pretty looking drink. For $15 it should be the best dang old fashioned you've ever had!

I got the decal from My Fantasy Bands! I have started declining magic bands as I pretty much just wear this one and a yellow one with a tribal decal on it :laughing: I probably have 25 of them, it's out of control!
I know what you mean I have a drawer filled with them. I bought a custom one in the parks I mostly use now that has BB8 on it.

LOl this is funny. I try to do something different every time we ride this.

This looks great!

All your food at the Boathouse looked great. I'm glad you had a good dinner there.

I get sad if I don't get to visit Space Jesus every time I go to Epcot

:rotfl2::rotfl2: How have I never noticed that this is Space Jesus!? I will have to look for him next time!

We also like to out-do each other with ridiculous ride photos on this one and I think I won this round...

LKwTSq1.png

:laughing: You look so unimpressed with that salad/produce on the table. Like, "Salad, I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed."

I would highly recommend this and hope they will bring tamales to ALL the festivals! In fact, while I'm dreaming, maybe they could have a whole tamale booth sometime.

:laughing: Yes!! Walt dreamed big, and so should we! ALL the tamales!

On the topic of big Disney food dreams, I was just discussing with Nathan the other day about how they should have a breakfast buffet at Disney that's more reasonably priced, where they only serve Mickey waffles and toppings. Like a giant waffle bar, with all our favourite toppings from all the best restaurants, like the bread pudding toppings at Boma, the tonga toast strawberry sauce from Kona, the seasonal fruit/pecan/syrup toppings from GF Cafe, etc.

I was craving fish and chips (which is super unusual for me as I don't eat seafood very often)

Craving fish and chips is always acceptable. It's shortly after breakfast time here, and now I'm craving fish and chips right now.

Classic Cheeseburger ($18) BOATHOUSE Custom Grind, Beefsteak Tomato, Onion, Lettuce, and Pickle served with Fresh-cut Fries

OMYGAWD, yes. This is the best burger on property! It was cooked perfectly and totally surprised me for being so great at a seafood restaurant. The fries were great too, definitely had that hand cut appeal and perfectly seasoned.

No way! I never would have guessed such a delicious burger could be found, of all places, at the BOATHOUSE. I keep meaning to go, and then we never get there. We so rarely eat at DS, and when we do, it's usually just quick service. (Paddlefish and Homecomin' are also on that list that I never get to. :sad1:) I'll have to make it a priority sometime, because Nathan would looove this burger.

Oh my word that burger looks amazing . I don’t know why it is so hatd to fnd a place that cooks them properly . BOAthouse is on my to try list.

Hi stranger :wave2: Love your balloon wedding picture and in case I haven't said it, congratulations party:

I was happy to see your SSR pics. We stayed there back in 2011 and liked it enough, but I have no idea what section we were in. Close to a bus stop and close enough to Artist's Palette not to complain lol, and we also enjoyed the food there. Never had a desire to return as we much prefer other resorts, but since we had to reschedule our Aug trip last month to Nov., SSR is all I could get with my discount so that's where we are!

We were there for the first Festival of the Holidays in 2016 and I think they've improved it! I did have the tamale and loved it but since the servings were bigger than at other festivals we didn't try all that much. It also didn't start that year until the day until Thanksgiving; I think it started earlier last year so we may catch it this year :)

since we had to reschedule our Aug trip last month to Nov., SSR is all I could get with my discount so that's where we are!

Nooooooooo! I know I am abysmally behind on your reports but I was so hoping we could meet in August! :sad: I will have to head over there to catch up!

I hope you guys love Saratoga (or re-love? as it may be). I think since you have so many trips under your belt, that like us you will enjoy the real "resort" atmosphere there. When is your November trip?

I *JUST* saw your Disneyland report and "watched" it. You're probably done with it by now but I can't wait to catch up.
I am not even close to done! I have fallen off the band wagon.

And I finally connected the dots on fb... Doh! Sorry about that :flower3: but we are official now! Cue the happy dance. haha!
YEAH!!!! It had been so long, I forgot I had even sent the request! Ha. I am pretty sure you popped up as someone you may know section, and I thought why not!

:rotfl: Gotta save tummy space for the GOOD stuff!!!
I am with you on that! My husband doesn't get that at ALL!!! He would just eat everything.

So we backtracked to the Yukon (Candada) festival booth and each got a Unibroue Éphémère Elderberry – $4.25

w33L4YW.png
This def sounds like a beer I would like!

iZWlADN.png

This was not very good. It was really dry and not what R was expecting
I feel that those log cakes tend to be dry.... And you would think they would be super moist to roll...

I love the magic band sticker!

AND HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL! My favorite thing we had tried from the festival so far: Warm Apple Fritter with Cinnamon Ice Cream and Warm Caramel Sauce – $4.7
Morgan would love this!

CGT96SQ.png

(I know it's not Jesus, I just like to call him that)
Now that is all I am going to see...

nMQAwTt.png

What in the world is she making that face for. Ha! The little girl in the back is pretty cute too.

It ended up really exceeding my expectations since I just sort of booked it in a pinch. We looked at it again for August but I think we're going to stay at Coronado. OMG I JUST REALIZED IT'S WHILE YOU'RE THERE! We have not pulled the trigger on booking yet so it's not 100% but it's looking like I will be at Coronado Springs August 16-19. Any chance we could meet up for birthday drinks? I know you have friends or family joining you so no worries if it doesn't work out but I'd love to say hello!
We get down there on the 18th and will be going to AK and then I think MK on the 19th. Let me know if you'll be at either of those places. Probably couldn't meet for a drink, since we'll have friends with us, including my best friends hubby who is about at anti-Disney as it gets so should be interesting :-)

yQ6NW8J.png

MY TAMALE! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Shredded Beef Tamale with Avocado Crema and Cilantro Rice – $5.75
Jason and I were totally talking about tamales last night and now its official I must have one today!!!!

nMQAwTt.png

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

csQQMNf.png

Yikes that doesn't even look remotely good. Just looks like someone threw a bunch of christmas looking crap in a glass :P

Crispy Panko-fried Fish of the Day, served with Tartar Sauce, Lemon, and Fresh-cut Fries ($18) These hit the spot. I think it has been cod as the fish of the day every time we've been, but this is a nice option for fish and chips and is always fresh and mild and perfectly crisp. Their house made tartar sauce is also really nice.
Yum, this looks so good. Did you try the truffle fries? Some of my favorites!

Xa3S7li.png

Speaking of favorites. Wow! Jason had this on our last trip and loved it too!

We really liked Blaze pizza when we tried it, we don’t have any around our neck of the woods!

Both of your sandwiches look really good and I love house made chips. Glad you enjoyed SS, we have never stayed here.

How cool to see someone who reminded you of your grammy especially at the holiday season.

I am glad R’s third dessert was the charm!

I commented to soon, lol! The Boathouse burger looks so delicious, I could eat that right now before bed!

I wanted to add how beautiful your wedding photos that you have so far are!!
Thank you so much! I am planning to still get my thoughts on the wedding up, but I am waiting to see if my photographers will make a couple of tweaks to the gallery they sent me before I post!

We really had such a great trip, Saratoga was lovely at the holidays and we had SUCH GREAT FOOD! Glad to have had you here reading along!

I'm glad you got to enjoy more of the Festival of the Holidays! Seems I missed out on some of the things you tried on my one day visit there (too bad I don't get to go this holiday season as my puppy means I can't really go away for the weekend without planning accordingly although I wonder if my mother calls the Ritz - if they will let me get away with bringing Gantu with me) You made me want to try the tamales.

Boathouse is awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed your food there. I think I disagree with you on the yak & yeti shrimp versus boathouse shrimp but that's ok. We've never had their burger but that's good to know it is amazing as Shaun would probably love it!

We didn't try as many of the holiday booths as I would have liked but it seemed like they had more "mini meal" options which are harder to do as a festival and not get too full too soon! I might have oversold the tamales, but it was just what I wanted at the time!

I really love Boathouse now. It's so funny when I had their fancier entrees I was not impressed AT. ALL. But their "bar food"?! gimme!!!

The Ritz oughta make the magic happen for your mom! She's a regular!

You just made me realize I have no Disney Springs time planned for our September trip. HOW DID I LET THIS HAPPEN?? That burger alone looks good enough to make it worth the trip, and also Homecomin, which we've never been to.
Oh, and I just remembered that we have a Blaze pizza about 20 minutes away that I didn't know about. Will have to try that as well!
I know! We never spend enough time there. Saratoga was great for being so close! We are hoping to spend more time at Disney Springs on our next trip. We have a Homecoming brunch on the books!!!

Wow that's a great price! I'd definitely consider Saratoga for a rate like that
Yeah, absolutely worth it. I get emails from the timeshare rental store and occasionally they have points for rent that are expiring soon and this was one of those occasions! I would definitely return at the right price.

This looks really, really good! Speaking of Italian sandwiches, have you had muffuletta from New Orleans? Seems like something you'd enjoy!
I have never been to New Orleans :duck: so I can't claim I've had a proper one! But I have had them from delis around here and while I'm sure they're poor imitations, they are delicious! I love anything with olives so muffalettas get a big thumbs up from me! :thumbsup2

This is adorable, and I had no idea it was a thing!
Me either! We just had some time to wait before the presentation and happened to amble over and notice it. It was so cool! Disney does amazing with gingerbread.

How have I never noticed Space Jesus before?!
:rotfl2: It's all I can see!

Ugh, it's such a pretty looking drink. For $15 it should be the best dang old fashioned you've ever had!
AGREED! It was $15 pretty but not $15 tasty.

I know what you mean I have a drawer filled with them. I bought a custom one in the parks I mostly use now that has BB8 on it.

LOl this is funny. I try to do something different every time we ride this.

This looks great!

All your food at the Boathouse looked great. I'm glad you had a good dinner there.

We have grown to really love the Boathouse! And of course we always try to do funny stuff on Spaceship Earth too but it's so hard when you only have your head to work with... I'm just always amazed by the weird non-round shapes you can wind up with... like yeah, this is my trapezoid head! :laughing:

:rotfl2::rotfl2: How have I never noticed that this is Space Jesus!? I will have to look for him next time!
It's definitely one of my rituals to greet Space Jesus on every trip! (Other rituals include screaming out "OH NO, THE TRACK'S OUT!" on like every roller coaster because Disney imagineering apparently only has that one gag...) I have never put him in a report though because I was afraid to offend anyone :blush:

:laughing: You look so unimpressed with that salad/produce on the table. Like, "Salad, I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed."
I know, I was dying when I saw this scene. I look so haughty, like an old lady with a british accent who FOR SURE is disappointed with the salad!

On the topic of big Disney food dreams, I was just discussing with Nathan the other day about how they should have a breakfast buffet at Disney that's more reasonably priced, where they only serve Mickey waffles and toppings. Like a giant waffle bar, with all our favourite toppings from all the best restaurants, like the bread pudding toppings at Boma, the tonga toast strawberry sauce from Kona, the seasonal fruit/pecan/syrup toppings from GF Cafe, etc.
Okay so on this epic Dismeet trip we need to arrange a private Illuminations dessert party with this menu... :rolleyes1 (Can you tell I have been listening to too many Disney Wedding Podcasts?) That would be the best buffet in the history of ever.

Craving fish and chips is always acceptable. It's shortly after breakfast time here, and now I'm craving fish and chips right now.
Every time I post it makes me crave whatever I've written about! Now I want them too, all this time later... haha

No way! I never would have guessed such a delicious burger could be found, of all places, at the BOATHOUSE. I keep meaning to go, and then we never get there. We so rarely eat at DS, and when we do, it's usually just quick service. (Paddlefish and Homecomin' are also on that list that I never get to. :sad1:) I'll have to make it a priority sometime, because Nathan would looove this burger.
It's so funny because there's so much great stuff there that we never get to experience it all. Like, the Morimoto Street Food QS has been on my "wish list" for forever and I still haven't made it there. Always a great new thing to try!

Oh my word that burger looks amazing . I don’t know why it is so hatd to fnd a place that cooks them properly . BOAthouse is on my to try list.
SO SO GOOD. The only place at Disney that competes (or used to, I had one bad one and haven't been back) is Crew's Cup Lounge between Yacht and Beach Club. Boathouse is definitely using good beef!

Hi stranger :wave2: Love your balloon wedding picture and in case I haven't said it, congratulations party:
Thank you :flower3::flower3::flower3:

I am not even close to done! I have fallen off the band wagon.
Well I am finally ON the band wagon and caught up on BOTH your reports!

This def sounds like a beer I would like!
I think you would! Don't you like sours? I can't do very sour but this is a nice mellow fruity beer that's not sweet.

I feel that those log cakes tend to be dry.... And you would think they would be super moist to roll...
Right? Like how did this not turn to crumbles when you did that??!

Morgan would love this!
She's my kinda gal for sure. Or just me, 20 years ago :rotfl:

Now that is all I am going to see...
Well, welcome to the club! It's all I see!!!!

We get down there on the 18th and will be going to AK and then I think MK on the 19th. Let me know if you'll be at either of those places. Probably couldn't meet for a drink, since we'll have friends with us, including my best friends hubby who is about at anti-Disney as it gets so should be interesting :-)
Right now we have MK on the 18th and the only thing on the 19th is a homecoming brunch reservation. I will message you when the time is closer and we can swap numbers to see if we can meet for a selfie. I know it's hard to coordinate when you're traveling with friends, but if it works out that would be cool.

Jason and I were totally talking about tamales last night and now its official I must have one today!!!!
NOW I WANT ONE AGAIN :sad: I gotta quit writing about all this yummy food...

Yikes that doesn't even look remotely good. Just looks like someone threw a bunch of christmas looking crap in a glass :P
:rotfl: Yes, I can see it on the menu now:
Christmas Crap in a Glass, $15 - Angel's Envy Bourbon, lightly stirred over ice with whatever junk we could find behind the bar or steal from the closest tree that looked remotely festive. Notes of poinsettia and highway robbery. Recommended Pairing: Wagyu beef with cranberries

Yum, this looks so good. Did you try the truffle fries? Some of my favorites! Speaking of favorites. Wow! Jason had this on our last trip and loved it too!
I honestly can't remember if we did on this trip but I for sure upgraded to them in June!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 SO GOOD. And of course Jason loved it, he is a man of distinguished and refined tastes (wish I could find one of those excellent portraits you always post of him to really punctuate this point :P)

Real life update:

Work has gotten insanely busy, I am backing up some of my bosses while they enjoy their summer vacations (the audacity of them taking vacations, how rude!) so I've been super stressed and spending more time lurking on other people's dining reports, trip reports, and PTRs than finishing my own. Plus I got a nice long weekend in Asheville, NC :drinking1 over the Fourth of July and have been binging on Disney Wedding Podcasts (and browsing the accompanying photos) to relax. I have updated the Hawaii engagement trip report a few times but I am committed to finishing this one and then maybe working on a 2018 trip report over on the trip reports board covering a few different visits, including my bachelorette (wheeee!)

So, without further ado:

December 23, 2017, or, "I bet you never thought I was going to finish this @*^%$#& thing did you?"

We have come to the final day of this little mini-trip, and the final installment of my "Fall" dining report.

We were up and out early this morning, headed to Animal Kingdom with no fastpasses. Our first stop of course was flight of p Kilimanjaro Safaris! :laughing:

This was the best safari we've ever had, I'm fairly certain. First thing in the morning in December is the time to go!

I was so excited, we almost never see the black rhinos up and moving. They're usually obscured by something or just chillaxing so I was excited to see this big guy

y5TNyok.png

(Is it a rhino that Stacey calls a chunker munker on the must do loop? :scratchin Looking at you as the resident Stacey expert, @MeghanEmily )

R gets all the cool pictures, check out that giraffe creepin by his head

bArtudg.png

And I heard it was the law to post a giraffe pic from every safari. Looking at these photos I am just in awe of how incredible of a safari ride we were treated to that morning - I am trying to post only the noteworthy photos but there were a lot of animals up and moving that are usually pretty still.

DALRO3T.png

I feel like I normally see the cheetahs snoozing, but they were up and prowling this morning.

XxRGzb0.png

This guy (or gal) got right up to the truck

NZjVZs0.png

Several lionesses were visible on the rock

OUr09Yh.png

And this guy was giving his best ANTM Tyra Banks "smeyes" :teeth:

rqnAFuq.png

We had an even closer encounter with the Rhinos before making our way over to Expedition Everest standby. While in line, I convinced R to ride Dinosaur with me (he kinda dislikes it but I love it) and so when I went on the app to find a fastpass, I got this instead and nearly lost my mind:

O2rLjOs.png

Yeah, I was ecstatic! We'd come to the park with no fastpasses so getting a fp for Flight of Passage good starting in 25 minutes was crazy luck.

Due to my tendency toward motion sickness I knew I'd need to put something carb-y in my stomach prior to getting on FoP, so we headed to find snacks. We ended up at the Yak & Yeti local food cafe (quick service) and I nabbed my morning snack from a nearby vendor:

vF3IJ1D.png

d5MGjD9.png

Meanwhile, R chose the Breakfast Burrito ($9.99) Which is stuffed with Eggs, American Cheese, Chorizo, Peppers and Onions. Served with Hash Brown Bites. Ain't she a beauty :scared:

sAYoBOw.png

I believe it came with more hash browns than this but we ate a few before remembering a photo.

The hashbrowns were super delicious and the burrito was fine, nothing I'd go out of my way for.

Reasonably assured I would be okay on Flight of Passage, we made our way over for our fastpass!

7E3YLDy.png

AF1yw9g.png

nXpdBsu.png

I love that ride! Though I did have to look at the sides and the back a lot this time without any medication. :faint: Worth it though!

It was getting close to time for us to think about departing WDW to go have Christmas with family, so I could think of only two things that would relieve my sadness:

OCALskf.png

9wtusAh.png

1.) a Moara margarita. Those boba balls are amazing!

sL1ytDD.png

2.) BABY TIGER! I had been dying to see them and I was so excited to finally get to see one, even if he (?) was hiding behind mama.

4ph7Eqm.png

The Maharajah Jungle Trek is one of my favorite parts of Animal Kingdom. It's just so incredibly well themed.

We hit a shop on the way out to pick up something my mom wanted, and unfortunately said our goodbyes to Walt Disney World.

And because I refuse to exhibit any restraint or decorum and end my dining report on a high note with my over-filtered photo of the gorgeous Belvedere Palace Ruins on the jungle trek, here is a photo of a half eaten sandwich I got on the way to Ft. Lauderdale:

1grk82Q.png

:rotfl:

Hey, I can't help it, it was my last "taste" of Disney! And pretty dang good for a turnpike service plaza fast food option.

Fortunately, it wouldn't be long until we'd be back at WDW, as we used the last drops of magic on our APs for the year visiting over a long weekend for the Festival of the Arts. I already wrote up some of the dining we experienced while there if you haven't seen it:

Quick Festival of the Arts and Geyser Point Review

I will come back with a link when I start my next report. Until then, bye, pals! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter