How to manage the post-Disney trip blues

DisneyNewbieDad

Earning My Ears
We just got back from our 1st Disney trip. It was not perfect, but a great time! I am not surprised that I am feeling some sadness and blues about it all being over. I have spent almost 2 years planning for this trip, and now it's all over. Any good tips for getting through the post-trip blues? Thanks.

Listen to music from the parks, make a scrapbook with park pics (ours is digital because I’m not crafty), use the shampoos/conditioners/lotions etc from the resorts if you brought any home, and my favorite way to beat the post WDW blues is to plan another trip.
Glad you had fun!

Plan another one lol
Yep, that's us. We first went in 2014. 6 adults, me, DH, my parents, my brother and my SIL. When we left, DH and I said "We'll have to come back - but just the two of us". I said yes, but we need to wait until some of the new stuff is opened. That didn't work. We went again in 2016, just us two as planned. We had tears in our eyes while waiting for DME to return home, and we said we had to go again. I again said I wanted to wait for more of the new lands (I'm a big Star Wars fan). We started making jokes about opening a savings account, and then we weren't joking anymore. We have a special savings account that we've labelled "Disney emergency fund". The plan was to use it to put aside money with no pressure or specific time frame, but that way we'd have some money saved up when we felt an urgent need to return. We'll be back next year :mickeyjum

I think there is a board on here where you can find out what candles/room fresheners smell like your resort (I found one for AOA lobby). Smelling it always makes me feel better.

Plan your next trip asap. We go during the cheapest times of the year so we can afford to go twice per year.

Follow photographers on instagram that do disney only. They do live streams and videos and it helps me.

Souvenirs you can use around the house to remind you daily.

The first trip is the hardest to get over. It took me months. It ruined Christmas in fact because “nothing was as awesome as Disney”. I was comparing everything to Disney which made it all worse lmao!! It does get better! Start planning again and it’ll take your mind off it.

Sit down and make a photobook NOW while your memories are still fresh. It's not just about the photos but about documenting what you felt when you finally got to do the things you had dreamed about for two years. (I personally like Shutterfly because they have a lot of discounts.) Make your own Disney music station on Pandora or Spotify and listen while you work. Watch Disney movies, start with the classics. And last, but not least, start planning your next Disney vacation!

Personally, it helps to remember all the crappy things. That way, it'll take me a while to want to return. There were plenty of those things on our Post-Irma debacle this September. By the time the negatives subside, it's been long enough to plan another trip.

Ugh I am not looking forward to the post Disney blues either. I am having so much fun planning our April trip right now. I already know we'll be going again in about 3 years, so that helps. Have you written a trip report? That's always fun and then others get to share in your memories and learn from them. And you can re-read it too. Have a pizza movie night in your pjs and look through photos.

Wish we could bottle that magical feeling!

Another way we deal with the post-Disney blues is to attend Disney on Ice! I don't know where you live but they come through our city twice per year. Some of the shows are too "princess heavy" but we try to attend at least every other year.

Here on DisBoards I suspect you'll read a lot of "Start planning your next trip." Which is what I did for many years.

Followed closely by "spend more time on DisBoards, especially the trip reports". Yup, did that too.

Nothing unusual about your feelings of sadness. And that you note that the trip wasn't perfect. After two years of planning and anticipation it is tough for even Disney to live up to all the expectations. But the fact that you are feeling those post trip blues reinforces your "...great time!" summary.

Remember the fun parts and let those small disappointments fall away. Except perhaps to note what not to do next time.

Check in with the family and see if there is interest in a return visit.

Oh yes, one last thought... write a trip report. Re-live the memories.

I'm new to all this, but I have tried to have a future trip planned before leavng for the current one. We take short trips, but it helps knowing another is on the horizon.

We went last time in 2012 with our teen DS & DD
Now they are finally done with college, and us paying for most of it, we are planning a 2020 WDW DH & DW only trip, for our 35th wedding anniversary.

The DIS boards are the best !

Start planning! What better way to cope with post-vacation depression than booking your next trip? :thumbsup2

Some of the other things that have helped me in the past is using the Disney soaps and shampoos from the cruise and resorts, listening to Disney soundtracks (especially from the theme parks!), and spamming social media with all my vacation pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter