How to handle guest disputes?

If I saw a parent hitting their child in the park, particularly out of anger (which seems to be the case here), I wouldn't stay silent. I doubt that I'd think of a service dog an differently. Service dogs in particular (if this was actually one. you just don't know anymore) are some of the gentlest creatures on the planet. If this "man" were hitting one, the least I'd be doing was contacting a manager or security. None of my business? Sure, right up to the point that an innocent is being abused in a public place. That's when it becomes my business.

I have said this before in forums here because it's my biggest issue personally with disney (among many) parks. There are rules of behavior: post them, give them out in a flyer in many language and icons and photos. If you misbehave, you leave. out you go. goodbye. it's called thinning of our herd and we could have less crowds if the rudely behaved people just got kicked out period, zero tolerance. it's a private company they can do what they want and they should be a beacon of good proper behavior for all companies in the times we live. you poop in a bush, you leave. you yell at a cm, out you go, no excuses. done. a family member is an mk cm and people are very mean it's disgusting. they are way too tolerant of people's rude behavior there. there is no excuse i don't care the weather, i don't care you have mental health issues, i don't care. if you can't behave properly you should be shown the door. the bad never get punished. and we are stuck with them.

OMG - I almost don't know what to say, and am thankful your son is ok.

I would probably have spoken to a manager if for no other reason than to get it documented and witnessed should future ramifications have come up. And then I would have asked who to report the animal situation to while taking a picture of the mother, son, and dog to provide with my report.

I agree with the previous poster that it would have been a good idea to speak to a manager for documentation purposes, not necessarily expecting WDW “to do something about it.” The mom made a false accusation about you. Sitting here in the comfort of my home and not being in your place in the moment, I like to think I would have asked the manager to make some kind of incident report, to include the date and time of the incident and the name of the CM witness. I would have written down both CM names. I agree with you that the moment to speak to a manager has passed. It sounds like she made a complaint that went nowhere. You were wise to not engage with her.

I’m so sorry this happened to you.

I'm sorry to hear about this :( I don't have any words of wisdom other than to say I feel so sorry for you. I hope it didn't damper your entire trip.

So first this sounds terrible and I'm sorry you had that happen. Second most people don't want to cause a ruckus so I get not wanting to make something more of it than it already is but I tend to error on the side of caution in most cases. It sounds egregious enough that I would have wanted to speak to a manager knowing something may not come out of it but wanting to at least alert someone.

Now for other thoughts-

The mom and son pulled ahead, and the CM working the entry who witnessed the whole incident (it all happened directly in front of her) apologized to me and asked if I wanted her to call a manager. I was still in shock and said no. While we were scanning our MBs, I saw the woman get another CM and heard her tell him I hit her son (I didn’t hear her say a word about the kick; apparently nothing came of her complaint, at least from my perspective).
I know you were in shock but I think considering your previous observations of them on the boat would have given more push and cause for concern about the safety of other guests and potentially the safety of their own service animal.

I was worried that someone (a grown man at that)
Well let's remember this below comment:

The man obviously had some sort of developmental/mental deficiency,

Age and mental age are two different things. While in appearance he may have been a grown man in his 20s his mental age may have been nowhere near that. There's no excuse honestly but that identifier of grown man seems important.

As an example my cousin is 18 1/2; because of a cognitive disorder she has (that she developed when she was of elementary age) her mental age is around 14 or so. She's gotten a lot better but a good portion of that was adjusting her medication as time went on. She used to have meltdowns a lot more (several times the family had to miss out on Christmas because of it).

But I’m not sure what one would have even done?
That's a hard one. I think it would depend on a variety of factors including their hostility. Sometimes someone can be so hostile that Disney would rather risk PR mess but get them out of the park and sometimes not.

For future reference, should I have spoken to a manager or gone to guest services?
I would have spoken to a manager especially as you had a CM who witnessed their behavior right there.

What would they even have done (since he only maybe kicked my son, I’m not sure if it even qualifies as an “assault”)?
Again hard to tell what they would have done but again to me at least Disney would a least take a cursory examination if the guests present a disruption and/or danger to other guests. Combining your observation of the boat and the incident at the tapstile with the CM present may have at least had them keep some sort of eye out on them.

Again sorry you had to deal with that though and I hope you don't have to deal with anything like it again. I do agree with others. It happened it's in the past try to not dwell on it too much.

So so sorry. I hope the rest of your day went well. I would have been shaken up if someone kicked my child's stroller as well. Not sure what I would have done though. I guess you never know until you're in that situation. My heart breaks for the service dog :(. I truly hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

I was shaken up for a while after. (In addition to wanting to celebrate the 4th, yesterday was also our wedding anniversary.) I wish I’d spoken to a manager, I was just so shocked at the time.

I know you were in shock but I think considering your previous observations of them on the boat would have given more push and cause for concern about the safety of other guests and potentially the safety of their own service animal.
Age and mental age are two different things. While in appearance he may have been a grown man in his 20s his mental age may have been nowhere near that. There's no excuse honestly but that identifier of grown man seems important.

My comment about it being a grown man who kicked the stroller was about his physical size - I was trying to be understanding toward his mental capacity (I was honesty more upset at his mother’s behavior), but as a grown man, he could probably do much more damage to another person than an actual child could. Looking back, I do wish I’d spoken to a manager. I hope no other guests had any run-ins with the pair, and that he doesn’t have any more outbursts that could hurt someone (especially a child).

(My husband noticed AP sliders on their MBs. I was, and still am, nervous about running into them again.)

As a side note, I saw another first today. Someone blatantly emptied a catheter bag into some plants (that other people were sitting in front of) right by the the bathrooms in the path that lead from near the treehouse out into Frontierland).

My comment about it being a grown man who kicked the stroller was about his physical size - I was trying to be understanding toward his mental capacity (I was honesty more upset at his mother’s behavior), but as a grown man, he could probably do much more damage to another person than an actual child could. Looking back, I do wish I’d spoken to a manager. I hope no other guests had any run-ins with the pair, and that he doesn’t have any more outbursts that could hurt someone (especially a child).

(My husband noticed AP sliders on their MBs. I was, and still am, nervous about running into them again.)

As a side note, I saw another first today. Someone blatantly emptied a catheter bag into some plants (that other people were sitting in front of) right by the the bathrooms in the path that lead from near the treehouse out into Frontierland).
Ah I gotcha about the grown man comment.

Well I hope you don't run into them but try and enjoy your trip without thinking/worrying about running into them.

And um that is just plain gross on the catheter bag :scared::crazy2:. Sorry for those bad firsts at WDW :(

It’s so sad this happened to you and I’m glad your son is ok. If it makes you feel better, you handled it better than I would have. I yelled at a girl trying to touch my dd’s (about 7yrs old att) face once in AK. I didn’t know what the girl (young adult or late teens) had in mind. She just came at dd quickly with her hand extended like she was going to hit her. It was weird. Afterwards my DH said he thought the girl was mentally challenged, but honestly it didn’t matter. No one should hit or touch someone else, especially a child. So scary.

I do also agree with the post above about Disney enforcing rules. People act crazy cause they get away with it.

And the catheter bag.......yuck!!

Hope the rest of your trip is more magical!

Well this just sounds like a horrible situation. Unfortunate way to start a day, and I hope it got at least a little better.

As to a what Disney manager may have done if you had spoken to a manager, they probably would have opened an official report. In these types of cases, companies usually get the contact information of all those involved just in case one of the guests wants to either call the police or bring a lawsuit. The CM would have been able to record what she saw and support your side of the story. It doesn't seem like it will be an issue for you, so no harm no foul. But in the future, like in a car accident, if someone is willing vouch for your innocence, then try to get a report or at least the names so you can make sure you have all the information in your favor if something were to happen.

My comment about it being a grown man who kicked the stroller was about his physical size - I was trying to be understanding toward his mental capacity (I was honesty more upset at his mother’s behavior), but as a grown man, he could probably do much more damage to another person than an actual child could. Looking back, I do wish I’d spoken to a manager. I hope no other guests had any run-ins with the pair, and that he doesn’t have any more outbursts that could hurt someone (especially a child)...My husband noticed AP sliders on their MBs. I was, and still am, nervous about running into them again.
If these guests have APs and try any of that behavior on me or my child in August, you probably won't ever see them at WDW again. So maybe hope for that? Seriously, though, I'm sure that if they keep it up, they'll run into someone else who will not be paralyzed with shock when their child is purposefully kicked by a grown man. They will eventually be set straight.
:crazy2: Honestly. Couldn't they have walked the few steps into the bathroom and emptied it there?

As a side note, I saw another first today. Someone emptied a catheter bag into some plants (that other people were sitting in front of) right by the the bathrooms

I am sorry you and your son had to be involved in this.

Sounds, though, like that would've been the perfect time to start recording and letting the video go viral to highlight abuse of a service animal. I also agree with calling 911 because Disney Security is not likely to do anything. One day is bad enough, but the big picture is that this dog likely suffers from ongoing abuse. I don't think I would've let them out of my sight until I was sure this was well-documented.

As said above, they probably both had issues.. so in the end there was probably nothing anyone was really going to do about it unless a real crime was committed. Think Disney would have been much more scared of being seen as being mean to mentally challenged, even though they were in the wrong.
However I wouldn't have been worried about what they said, as that obviously wouldn't have gone anywhere either.
It sounds like a real crime was committed, i.e. physical abuse of an animal, though I'm not sure what Florida animal cruelty laws say. We had something similar happen recently where I live - the person hitting the dog was arrested, and I believe the dog was taken away. (And not saying that's what I think should've happened here, necessarily.) Cruelty laws, however, can vary from state to state.

Video evidence would be ideal. I'm sure you're not the only person who witnessed abuse that day. Hopefully many others intervened on behalf of the dog. (As I'd imagine they would.) It must be pretty awful getting smacked all the time, day in and day out. And it's likely illegal, too.

Ah, curiosity got the best of me: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...tute&URL=0800-0899/0828/Sections/0828.12.html

(2) A person who intentionally commits an act to any animal, or a person who owns or has the custody or control of any animal and fails to act, which results in the cruel death, or excessive or repeated infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering, or causes the same to be done, commits aggravated animal cruelty, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or by a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

OP very sorry you had to experience any of that. The behavior of this man/boy is more understandable than the lack of responsibility the mother takes of his behavior. My son has aspbergers and has never done anything of the sort as hitting anyone or anything was unacceptable in my house. While I agree with the other posters about reporting it to the manager I probably would have done the same thing you did just out of shock that anyone would allow those things to occur.
I know another poster mentioned calling service dog agencies to report the abuse, however, not all service dogs come from agencies many are trained at home and are still deemed service dogs because they can be trained to do specific things for the imdividual. I had a friend that trained his dog to do his laundry, open doors, and do a few other things that he wasn’t able to do on his own. He bought the dog as a pup because an agency trained service dog was out of his price range (think $10,000 or more) so he just did the training at home. While not every “service dog” is appropriately trained I bet the one mentioned was trained to assist the young man with overwhelming sensory overload.

I would have asked for a manager and had them detained. Besides the fact of doing something to your son, that young man clearly abused the dog and the mom allows it. She needs to be held accountable. A service dog is a privilege not a right. They do not deserve that dog. There are many on a waiting list for one who will not abuse it.

OP very sorry you had to experience any of that. The behavior of this man/boy is more understandable than the lack of responsibility the mother takes of his behavior. My son has aspbergers and has never done anything of the sort as hitting anyone or anything was unacceptable in my house. While I agree with the other posters about reporting it to the manager I probably would have done the same thing you did just out of shock that anyone would allow those things to occur.
I know another poster mentioned calling service dog agencies to report the abuse, however, not all service dogs come from agencies many are trained at home and are still deemed service dogs because they can be trained to do specific things for the imdividual. I had a friend that trained his dog to do his laundry, open doors, and do a few other things that he wasn’t able to do on his own. He bought the dog as a pup because an agency trained service dog was out of his price range (think $10,000 or more) so he just did the training at home. While not every “service dog” is appropriately trained I bet the one mentioned was trained to assist the young man with overwhelming sensory overload.
The dog may be trained to assist with his overload but the mom is responsible for stopping the abuse and she clearly did not. Animal abuse is a crime. The mom allowed him to do that. No service animal is trained to be hit and abused. Training for overload is to calm one, not to be a punching bag :(

The dog may be trained to assist with his overload but the mom is responsible for stopping the abuse and she clearly did not. Animal abuse is a crime. The mom allowed him to do that. No service animal is trained to be hit and abused. Training for overload is to calm one, not to be a punching bag :([/QUOTE
Op I was not nor would I ever imply that animal abuse was ok in any shape or form. I just noticed that several people implied that the animal in question might not be a service dog which I tried to address by noting that service dogs don’t necessarily have to be trained by a recognized organization they can be trained by the person who needs the services. If this animal was/is trained to help this young man his sole purpose would be so the boy could pat him to calm himself down not to kick or hit him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter