How new WDW additions could affect runDisney

rteetz

DIS Veteran
There is a ton of stuff going on at WDW right now. New rides, shows, parking, transportation, etc. New resorts are also popping up and Disney seems to be looking at a resort at the front of Epcot. While nothing is confirmed land clearing of a forested area near the Epcot parking lot began today. If they do indeed begin going forward with a hotel in the front of Epcot how do we think they will handle the start and finish lines for runDisney races?

Do we see more usage of the Magic Kingdom parking lot? What about moving things back over to ESPN like they have done for a few races?

A lot of this is speculation but also with some fact and strong rumors. Just thought it be an interesting discussion going forward.

ESPN Wide World of Sports for finishing I heard was a disaster with the first Dark Side & when we started Wine & Dine there it just seemed smaller to me, so I can't see them going there.

MK parking lot, maybe, but I can't see them adding MK on after the park is open, so the last park, the same way EPCOT is for right before the finish. So, then you'd have MK first and EPCOT last still, but a whole stretch of just road into the finish sounds anti-climatic. They haven't had races end at MK yet either and have all the traffic exit, I could see that being a disaster with park guests and it's just a tighter area that EP.

I don't like the idea of a resort at EPCOT's entrance area/near there at all, so I'm hoping it's all rumor. Isn't it on the other side behind Seas anyway the rumored land clearing/permits? So, then the parking lots we start/finish in aren't being touched are they unless they have to move the bus area over since that would get demolished? Or am I off, I haven't read a ton on it since I don't like the thought of a resort being that close to EPCOT's entrance.

ESPN Wide World of Sports for finishing I heard was a disaster with the first Dark Side & when we started Wine & Dine there it just seemed smaller to me, so I can't see them going there.

MK parking lot, maybe, but I can't see them adding MK on after the park is open, so the last park, the same way EPCOT is for right before the finish. So, then you'd have MK first and EPCOT last still, but a whole stretch of just road into the finish sounds anti-climatic. They haven't had races end at MK yet either and have all the traffic exit, I could see that being a disaster with park guests and it's just a tighter area that EP.

I don't like the idea of a resort at EPCOT's entrance area/near there at all, so I'm hoping it's all rumor. Isn't it on the other side behind Seas anyway the rumored land clearing/permits? So, then the parking lots we start/finish in aren't being touched are they unless they have to move the bus area over since that would get demolished? Or am I off, I haven't read a ton on it since I don't like the thought of a resort being that close to EPCOT's entrance.
Yes the potential new resort is on the other side by the Seas. However this would change the bus loop and parking on that side which could very well affect the Wonder lot where runDisney sets up. That’s why I brought this up.

This is an interesting topic for discussion. I would hope that with all the property they have, they could figure out a way to make it work and won’t have to cancel the races altogether with all the construction and changes. With the new land areas opening in some of the parks, I think it could lead to some fun new potential ideas for the courses (I’m already jealous of those who have run 2017 Wine and Dine and this year’s Dark Side that included Pandora!)

I’ll be curious to see what happens.

Is the Guardians ride going to be taking up any of the Wonder parking lot area? Moving the bus loop would swallow even more. And I'm not sure how pleased deluxe resort guests would be to have the start line fireworks (and Carissa....) waking them up pre-pre-pre dawn.

Although I think it would lose quite a bit of the Magic and it would mean runners losing out on having the monorail resort advantage, WWoS seems to be the most viable option.

That being said, the starts in the MK parking lot have surprised me and haven't been as bad as I expected.

Is the Guardians ride going to be taking up any of the Wonder parking lot area? Moving the bus loop would swallow even more. And I'm not sure how pleased deluxe resort guests would be to have the start line fireworks (and Carissa....) waking them up pre-pre-pre dawn.

Although I think it would lose quite a bit of the Magic and it would mean runners losing out on having the monorail resort advantage, WWoS seems to be the most viable option.

That being said, the starts in the MK parking lot have surprised me and haven't been as bad as I expected.
Guardians is not taking up any of the the wonder lot.

Guests at Port Orleans do hear the start for the half and full since it’s so close already.

Interesting. I actually think starting in the AK parking lot, running the route backwards that the full runs between MK and AK, and then running to Epcot would be a cool half. I would have to play with Google Earth a bit to make the mileage work. It is likely they would drop the starting fireworks since it is so close to AK but I would be fine with that.

Since Disney owns Marvel, the marathon could start at Universal Islands Of Adventure Spider-man ride and end at the new Disney Guardians Of The Galaxy ride.

Call it the Marvel Universe Marathon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!