How much planning?

tj2002

Momager of 3
I booked a trip for the very 1st week of March at Cabana Bay with 4 day park to park tickets. We will be there 6 nights, because we want to take it easy two of the nights, shop, go out to dinner, etc. We have always been a Disney family, but decided to try something different with the crazy prices.

I have 3 kiddos, one of which will not be 40 inches yet. I am not looking forward to Universal rider swap because I’m used to just going and doing my own thing with my little, until the others are done and then doing the ride. Going through a line and waiting seems daunting (he has Down syndrome and can get testy…).

Anyway, how much planning do I need to do? I usually have a very involved spreadsheet for Disney, but from what I’ve read we can kind of swing it at Universal….back like when my parents took me as a kid in the 90s lol.

My husband is anxious that I don’t have a detailed itinerary, but do I really need one?

Will you have Express pass? If so, the only thing you should plan is when you want to do Hagrid’s. If you can be at the entrance 45-60 mins before early entry that’s a good time, lunch time (between 11 and 1) or right before park close. If you want to eat at the popular restaurants (mythos or Toothsome’s) or you want to eat in CW are park close you probably want a reservation. Other than that, usually itineraries are optional. If you don’t have Express pass I would recommend Touring Plans for a Park itinerary but you could wing it too.

I would highly recommnend making dining reservations to any sit down restaurant around CW. You don't have to overly think it, same day reservations are usually available except maybe toothsom/mythos.

I cannot remember the name of it, but I think Universal Orlando has a system to help make it easier for people with Down Syndrome and similar things. I cannot remember the name of it, but I am pretty sure it exists. It might be something worth looking into.

You do not need to do that much planning. I would have a list of rides/shows/things you want to do, but not the kind of detailed itinerary you would do for WDW. If you want to go to some of the popular restaurants in the parks (like Mythos) or in City Walk (like Toothsome,) I would recommend making reservations a month in advance at the most. You could make them closer to the date as well.

Thanks all. Already did my reservations for mythos and toothsome, so should be in good shape. Going to aim for hagrids the first morning we are there, have 3 days after that if it doesn’t work out the first time.

You don't need to micro manage everything at Universal like at Disney. It's one of the reasons we love it. However, if you are going at a busy time and don't have express pass, you will want to do some pre-planning to minimize waits.

How much you need to plan really depends on how much you are ok with waiting and what all you want to do. 4 days is more than enough time to do everything even if you wait in standby lines every day, but do you really want to?

Without express pass, arriving early is key to avoiding lines. If you can get ahead of the crowd in the morning, you can walk on and off a number of rides very quickly without waiting. Prioritizing the most popular rides early will help as well. You may also find that returning to your resort or even visiting a different resort (resort hopping is allowed) during mid-day is a good option as break from the crowds. When we don't have EP, we try to arrive an hour before early entry, ride everything we know will get a long line, stop for brunch / lunch about 10:30 / 11:00, and are usually heading back to the resort for a nap or a swim about the time everyone else is really starting to crowd the parks. This has always worked well for us.

I second the recommendation to look at the Touring Plans website. It should help give you an idea of which rides to prioritize when.

Another option is to look at possibly getting a throw-a-way room at one of the premier resorts for 1 night. This would give you 2 days of express passes for everyone on the room reservation. You get express passes for your check in and check out day. We did this our first trip, and it worked well. We focused on the rides with the longest waits and the ones the kids wanted to repeat ride over and over again on the days with express. We saved shows, parades, shopping, longer meals, play areas, characters meet-n-greets, and rides with shorter lines for the days we didn't have the passes. It worked great for us and gave us a little peace of mind to not stress so much our first trip as we got used to Universal.

As far as other planning not wait related, there are tons of fun Easter Egss, photo ops, play areas, and just little details in general that most people walk right past and never even notice. You might want to look into some of that before going. I posted a response here last week to someone asking for non-attraction activities that lists a number of those things, but there's way more out there if you do a google search.

Along those same lines, if you are HP fans, do some research on those areas as well. There's more to see besides just the main rides. For instance, bring a stamp and postcards or a letter, and the kids can send mail by owl post back home or to their friends. You can buy stamps and postcards there, but much cheaper to get them ahead of time and just mail them at the owlry.

Take time to familiarize yourself with all the dining options, table and quick service. Some of the quick service places are as good as table service with amazing theming. With everything at Universal so close together, it's no big deal to hop lands, parks, or go to Citiwalk if someone is cravings something specific.

Universal does offer a disability pass, but they recently changed the way you apply for it, and from what I have seen, people have had very mixed experiences. It is a lengthy process now involving a third party, documentation, and a phone interview that all needs to take place before you go, so that may be something you want to look into. It would need to be done at least a month ahead of time. If approved, then your entire family would either be directed to the express lines or allowed to virtual wait depending on the wait time of the attraction you want to visit. This could help with the child swap situation you mentioned.

Here's really the rest of what you need to know planning wise.

1. Citywalk. Citywalk is Universal's much smaller version of Disney Springs. It has a movie theater, mini golf, and an escape room as well as restuarnts and bars. Everything at Universal can be accessed from Citywalk. You enter both parks from Citywalk and transportation and walking paths to the resorts all come from Citywalk.

2. Security. You go through security before entering Citywalk, so you do not go through it again when entering either park. This makes switching parks and hopping to and from Citywalk and the parks, super quick and easy. You can take food and drinks (non-alcoholic) through security.

3. You have 3 options for transportation to the parks from CB
. 1) You can take a bus from CB to the Citywalk drop off area. Then, you go through general off-site guest security and enter Citywalk by the mini golf and Bubba Gump area. 2) You can walk down the garden path from CB to Citywalk, arriving on the IoA side near Margarittaville. It's about a 20 minute walk and has it's own dedicated security at the end of the garden path. It's a very nice sidewalk path that never crosses any roads with plants and trees alll around you. You pass the Sapphire Falls and Royal Pacific resorts on the way, so it's easy to stop at one of their pools on an afternoon walk back if desired. 3) You can walk to Sapphire Falls and take the boat to Citywalk. Security is at the boat dock before you board in this case.

4. Universal allows resort hopping. You can use the pool or gym at any other resort on the main property. You simply go to concierge at the resort you want to visit, and they will give you a pass that is good for the resort.

5. Park hopping. Unlike Disney where it can take 2+ hours to change parks, it's very quick and easy at Universal. The walk between the two park emntrances is 5 minutes. It's more like switching lands at Disney than switching parks, so it's not a big deal to switch back and forth multiuple times in a day.

6. The water rides get you wet.
I don't mean a little wet. I mean soaked like you jumped in a pool with your clothes on. I've even tried ponchos before and still gotten soaked because the water came up from below. We won't ride the water rides unless we are in our bathing suits. You must have actual clothes on, though, so I usually do a tankini and quick dry athletic wear over the bottoms. Just plan accordingly with a change or clothes or something.

7. Metal Detectors. Some rides require you to go through metal detectors before you ride. You cannot take anything with you on these rides, so be prepared to leave your stuff in a locker or with another person not riding to hold. You may want to look up the size of the lockers. It is quite small.

8. Universal purchases. You don't have to carry souvenirs around with you. You can either send them back to your resort, or you can send them to the Universal store in Citywalk to be picked up later. The Universal store is open much later than the actual parks are, so it is easy to stop in and get your packages at the end of the night, even after a late dinner.

9. Wear shoes that don't fall off. This is something I've noticed with people used to going to parks like Six Flags. They are use to just leaving their shoes at a ride and riding barefoot. This does not work at Universal as you do not enter and exit most rides from the same location, so you really need to have shoes on that are not going to fall off of your feet if your legs are dangeling down.

10. Motion Sickness Meds. Almost everything at Universal, even kiddie rides, try to make you sick. They have toned down the a few rides, and it is better, but they still have so many that are very motion sickness inducing. Nothing makes me sick at Disney. Everything does at Universal. I have to get a patch from my doctor for Universal. Just something to think about.

The last advice I will give, especially based on your husband's comment, is do what works for your family. If you guys normally plan and that makes everything go smoother, than plan. Our first trip, I also read that we didn't need to schedule every minute like we did for Disney, so we didn't, and it was a huge mistake. The kids were used to extremely scheduled vacations. Not being on a schedule ended up causing anxiety and behavioral issues. Worries about not being able to fit in something someone wanted to do, disagreements over where to eat, debates about what to do next, general anxiety about not knowing what's next, etc. It was a nightmare. I never would have guessed having a relaxing trip would turn into such a mess. Half way into the trip, in the middle of the night, I sat down and planned out a detailed itinerary for our last few days. I just couldn't take it anymore. I wish I had planned everything out all along. Was it neccessary for touring Universal? No, but was it neccessary for my sanity? Very much so! It was what they were used to and everyone just functioned better with a detailed itenary in place of what was happening when. I never would have dreamed not planning would cause such stress but it did, so just something to keep in mind if your family is used to very scheduled trips.

You don't need to micro manage everything at Universal like at Disney. It's one of the reasons we love it. However, if you are going at a busy time and don't have express pass, you will want to do some pre-planning to minimize waits.

How much you need to plan really depends on how much you are ok with waiting and what all you want to do. 4 days is more than enough time to do everything even if you wait in standby lines every day, but do you really want to?

Without express pass, arriving early is key to avoiding lines. If you can get ahead of the crowd in the morning, you can walk on and off a number of rides very quickly without waiting. Prioritizing the most popular rides early will help as well. You may also find that returning to your resort or even visiting a different resort (resort hopping is allowed) during mid-day is a good option as break from the crowds. When we don't have EP, we try to arrive an hour before early entry, ride everything we know will get a long line, stop for brunch / lunch about 10:30 / 11:00, and are usually heading back to the resort for a nap or a swim about the time everyone else is really starting to crowd the parks. This has always worked well for us.

I second the recommendation to look at the Touring Plans website. It should help give you an idea of which rides to prioritize when.

Another option is to look at possibly getting a throw-a-way room at one of the premier resorts for 1 night. This would give you 2 days of express passes for everyone on the room reservation. You get express passes for your check in and check out day. We did this our first trip, and it worked well. We focused on the rides with the longest waits and the ones the kids wanted to repeat ride over and over again on the days with express. We saved shows, parades, shopping, longer meals, play areas, characters meet-n-greets, and rides with shorter lines for the days we didn't have the passes. It worked great for us and gave us a little peace of mind to not stress so much our first trip as we got used to Universal.

As far as other planning not wait related, there are tons of fun Easter Egss, photo ops, play areas, and just little details in general that most people walk right past and never even notice. You might want to look into some of that before going. I posted a response here last week to someone asking for non-attraction activities that lists a number of those things, but there's way more out there if you do a google search.

Along those same lines, if you are HP fans, do some research on those areas as well. There's more to see besides just the main rides. For instance, bring a stamp and postcards or a letter, and the kids can send mail by owl post back home or to their friends. You can buy stamps and postcards there, but much cheaper to get them ahead of time and just mail them at the owlry.

Take time to familiarize yourself with all the dining options, table and quick service. Some of the quick service places are as good as table service with amazing theming. With everything at Universal so close together, it's no big deal to hop lands, parks, or go to Citiwalk if someone is cravings something specific.

Universal does offer a disability pass, but they recently changed the way you apply for it, and from what I have seen, people have had very mixed experiences. It is a lengthy process now involving a third party, documentation, and a phone interview that all needs to take place before you go, so that may be something you want to look into. It would need to be done at least a month ahead of time. If approved, then your entire family would either be directed to the express lines or allowed to virtual wait depending on the wait time of the attraction you want to visit. This could help with the child swap situation you mentioned.

Here's really the rest of what you need to know planning wise.

1. Citywalk. Citywalk is Universal's much smaller version of Disney Springs. It has a movie theater, mini golf, and an escape room as well as restuarnts and bars. Everything at Universal can be accessed from Citywalk. You enter both parks from Citywalk and transportation and walking paths to the resorts all come from Citywalk.

2. Security. You go through security before entering Citywalk, so you do not go through it again when entering either park. This makes switching parks and hopping to and from Citywalk and the parks, super quick and easy. You can take food and drinks (non-alcoholic) through security.

3. You have 3 options for transportation to the parks from CB. 1) You can take a bus from CB to the Citywalk drop off area. Then, you go through general off-site guest security and enter Citywalk by the mini golf and Bubba Gump area. 2) You can walk down the garden path from CB to Citywalk, arriving on the IoA side near Margarittaville. It's about a 20 minute walk and has it's own dedicated security at the end of the garden path. It's a very nice sidewalk path that never crosses any roads with plants and trees alll around you. You pass the Sapphire Falls and Royal Pacific resorts on the way, so it's easy to stop at one of their pools on an afternoon walk back if desired. 3) You can walk to Sapphire Falls and take the boat to Citywalk. Security is at the boat dock before you board in this case.

4. Universal allows resort hopping. You can use the pool or gym at any other resort on the main property. You simply go to concierge at the resort you want to visit, and they will give you a pass that is good for the resort.

5. Park hopping. Unlike Disney where it can take 2+ hours to change parks, it's very quick and easy at Universal. The walk between the two park emntrances is 5 minutes. It's more like switching lands at Disney than switching parks, so it's not a big deal to switch back and forth multiuple times in a day.

6. The water rides get you wet. I don't mean a little wet. I mean soaked like you jumped in a pool with your clothes on. I've even tried ponchos before and still gotten soaked because the water came up from below. We won't ride the water rides unless we are in our bathing suits. You must have actual clothes on, though, so I usually do a tankini and quick dry athletic wear over the bottoms. Just plan accordingly with a change or clothes or something.

7. Metal Detectors. Some rides require you to go through metal detectors before you ride. You cannot take anything with you on these rides, so be prepared to leave your stuff in a locker or with another person not riding to hold. You may want to look up the size of the lockers. It is quite small.

8. Universal purchases. You don't have to carry souvenirs around with you. You can either send them back to your resort, or you can send them to the Universal store in Citywalk to be picked up later. The Universal store is open much later than the actual parks are, so it is easy to stop in and get your packages at the end of the night, even after a late dinner.

9. Wear shoes that don't fall off. This is something I've noticed with people used to going to parks like Six Flags. They are use to just leaving their shoes at a ride and riding barefoot. This does not work at Universal as you do not enter and exit most rides from the same location, so you really need to have shoes on that are not going to fall off of your feet if your legs are dangeling down.

10. Motion Sickness Meds. Almost everything at Universal, even kiddie rides, try to make you sick. They have toned down the a few rides, and it is better, but they still have so many that are very motion sickness inducing. Nothing makes me sick at Disney. Everything does at Universal. I have to get a patch from my doctor for Universal. Just something to think about.

The last advice I will give, especially based on your husband's comment, is do what works for your family. If you guys normally plan and that makes everything go smoother, than plan. Our first trip, I also read that we didn't need to schedule every minute like we did for Disney, so we didn't, and it was a huge mistake. The kids were used to extremely scheduled vacations. Not being on a schedule ended up causing anxiety and behavioral issues. Worries about not being able to fit in something someone wanted to do, disagreements over where to eat, debates about what to do next, general anxiety about not knowing what's next, etc. It was a nightmare. I never would have guessed having a relaxing trip would turn into such a mess. Half way into the trip, in the middle of the night, I sat down and planned out a detailed itinerary for our last few days. I just couldn't take it anymore. I wish I had planned everything out all along. Was it neccessary for touring Universal? No, but was it neccessary for my sanity? Very much so! It was what they were used to and everyone just functioned better with a detailed itenary in place of what was happening when. I never would have dreamed not planning would cause such stress but it did, so just something to keep in mind if your family is used to very scheduled trips.
This was so helpful, thank you for all of the super useful info and details!!

As others have said, make dining reservations. Other than that, you don't need to do that much planning. I'd get a general idea of the park layouts. We were there last week and found that ride times went down significantly the last 2 hours before close. So utilize those hours if you can, we didn't do rope drop so the late hours worked for us.

Definitely watch Borne (don't sit in the front, sit more in the middle or back) and the Horror Make Up shows. They are not to be missed.

This was so helpful, thank you for all of the super useful info and details!!
I'd just like to ad that we have been a disney family only but switched to Universal with all the negative changes at WDW these days. We love Universal! You don't have to plan if you want. You can wander the parks and just stop and ride whatever you feel like! No rushing to get to a ride for your LL or whatever that is.
If you are staying onsite,, you can ride their boat transport (premium only) or buses. I have never heard anyone complain about either one. They seem to have plenty of buses available without those long waits at disney.
The fast food is good too.
If the kids like HP, you should make sure to eat at the 3 broomsticks or the other HP themed restaurant at the studios (can't think of the name right now) They have good food at reasonable prices. We found it very affordable and delicious. I love their fish and chips. The theming is over the top. The kids will love it. Make time to just wander around HP lands and take it all in.
To me, Universal is like disney used to be. You can go and not plan at all if you want. We never do plan, just go where we want when we want! The TM;s we have met all are happy to be there and very helpful.
I think you will love it:)

As others have said, make dining reservations. Other than that, you don't need to do that much planning. I'd get a general idea of the park layouts. We were there last week and found that ride times went down significantly the last 2 hours before close. So utilize those hours if you can, we didn't do rope drop so the late hours worked for us.

Definitely watch Borne (don't sit in the front, sit more in the middle or back) and the Horror Make Up shows. They are not to be missed.
Awesome heard about Bourne, but not the other show. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter