How much discount do travel agents get off?

penlanspice

Addicted 2 disney
Totally unrelated but I have a quick question.

My brother-in-law is getting married next year and the summer 09 brochure is out Friday, his girlfriend said her cousin is a travel agent and can get us money off.
I know there are a few travel agents on here so my questions are -

How much discount would he get? he works in going places.
Is there a real need to book Friday (for some reason his girlfriend thinks there is more discount the day the brochure comes out!)

I'm just really weary and would rather book on my own.

Far and away I think.

If he works in going places would he only get discount off my travel?

Thanks

Sam

My wife was a TA until illness so what I can tell you is that it depends on who they are booking with,each supplier has different commision rates but also bear in mind that the commision rate is also what the TA makes for the booking.eg If they get 10% commision & she gives you 7% she only makes 3%(for the Agency!) Some suppliers,BA being one of them,pay very little commision. Also sometimes it is cheaper to book as a member of the public than as the TA so worth checking all avenues.
HTH SD:thumbsup2

Why don't you price up the holiday online. Then ask what price the TA would be able to do for you on Friday and then go from there.

Hi

I used to be a TA many many moons ago.

You do get different commissions from different travel companies. We could only ever offer between 5-10% but we would have to have them buying our insurance - or they got no discount and got free insurance - which ever worked out the best for the client.

Not sure why you need to book Friday? I never remember extra discounts for booking the day they come out but this could be something new? :confused3

I'd definitely price the holiday up yourselves as even by booking online most companies offer 5%. I know a lot of people price holidays up themselves and then ask the TA to match or better the price - or again offer free insurance.

Good Luck & happy planning!

Thanks for the replies.

Me and DH have decided that we won't be rushed into booking even if it means we lose out, my brother-in-laws girlfriend I think just wants to take charge and control it all.

We are a little weary as they are the sort of couple that would get a larger discount and not tell us! not that i'm being mean or saying they will do that. there should also be a free place as I think there's about 25 going.

They have asked everyone for a 25 pound deposit and are booking on the day the brochure comes out, I didn't think there would be any advantage to this! but I am a total control freak when it comes to holidays and like to get the best deal (everyone usually comes to me for advice!lol) they don't even know the price of the holiday yet. :confused3

DH rang First choice this morning and they said we could get some kind of discount if we have 10 or more booking!

I would have thought you would definitely get a free place if not 2 with 25.

A TA would be snapping your hands off for a booking like that - however, talking to the Tour operator directly could get you even more.

I would advise your BIL girlfriend to shop around as with those numbers there is some money to be saved.

If it were my family I'd want to be on the group booking - if it were my DH's family i'd want to be on a different booking preferably different dates :lmao:

If it were my family I'd want to be on the group booking - if it were my DH's family i'd want to be on a different booking preferably different dates

:lmao: My thought exactly!!!!

Even my DH doesn't want to go! I can think of better things to spend my money on that a 2 week holiday with the clampets! :rotfl2: only kidding they ain't that bad.. although I would rather be in Orlando.

For some reason she is so intent on booking with her cousin! I want to check everyone out!! she even said to DH's mother that if the hotel they have picked isn't in the new brochure then they will pick another!! (the hotel they picked is in about 4 brochures) so i'm guessing she only wants what he can get a discount on. Needless to say I'm not impressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter