How Much Cash Do You Usually Carry?

A $5 note and some coins at the bottom of my bag. I usually EFTPOS most things.

When I go to the bank, I always try and bump my wallet up to $100. We predominantly use our credit cards, so that is money that is used solely for incidentals, almost like petty cash and doesn't run out very quickly. I think my wallet is currently down around $20, so I will be bringing that total back up soon.

This is just what I do. It can be 2 months or more between trips to the bank.

I live in Switzerland and paying by cash is the norm here (at least the part of the country that I'm in). Totally normal to see people handing over 100 or 200 Franc notes (Swiss Franc and US dollar are basically on par, though it bounces around). Many ATMs don't give anything less than a 50 Franc note (and usually default to 100 Franc notes as the smallest). I carry a lot more cash than I ever did living in Canada or the US.

Things have definitely become more automated over here. First came the cards. Then came chip-and-pin cards. Now we have contactless. We even have Apple Pay. And with interesting technologies such as facial recognition and thumbprint recognition appearing in our iPhones, cash may become a thing of the past! Heck, even taxis recognise contactless cards over here these days!

How bizarre. I can't tell you the last time I paid for gas inside the station.
While ARCO is phasing it out, many of their stations still take cash at the island. Of course they stopped taking credit cards 20 years ago to keep their prices down.
348s.jpg

$100-$200 and same for DH. I replenish it each time I get my paycheck, twice a month. I generally use cash for anything under $20. DH uses cash for most of his personal purchases. DD16 is gone so much with activities I'm frequently handing her money for her meals. We would feel very uncomfortable having no cash in our wallets.

I don't have a debit card. I do a mix of cash, checks, online or auto payments, and cc. Love racking up SW points on the cc, but also don't charge absolutely everything to it, because I don't like the balance to build up super high. So I mix it up.

$100-$200 and same for DH. I replenish it each time I get my paycheck, twice a month. I generally use cash for anything under $20. DH uses cash for most of his personal purchases. DD16 is gone so much with activities I'm frequently handing her money for her meals. We would feel very uncomfortable having no cash in our wallets.

I don't have a debit card. I do a mix of cash, checks, online or auto payments, and cc. Love racking up SW points on the cc, but also don't charge absolutely everything to it, because I don't like the balance to build up super high. So I mix it up.

This was mentioned awhile back in another post and I don't get it.
A debit card here is your bank card. There is no way of not having a debit card and using an ATM or even a bank teller to get cash.

This was mentioned awhile back in another post and I don't get it.
A debit card here is your bank card. There is no way of not having a debit card and using an ATM or even a bank teller to get cash.
We have both. When we opened our account we were given an ATM card to use until our debit card came. They’re in the safe and have never been used but are still valid. If our debit card is lost or stolen we can use the ATM cards to get cash and do banking. If you have only a Savings account you get an ATM card vs a debit card. Debit cards have replaced what used to be your check card, what you’d show with your ID when you wrote a check. Debit and ATM cards are two separate things though you can use a debit card at an ATM. Clear as mud?:rotfl:

I always keep $20 in my phone case, I don't carry a wallet. Use credit cards for everything else. I'm going to enjoy my free flights to Florida in 2 weeks, for an unplanned trip. :D

We have both. When we opened our account we were given an ATM card to use until our debit card came. They’re in the safe and have never been used but are still valid. If our debit card is lost or stolen we can use the ATM cards to get cash and do banking. If you have only a Savings account you get an ATM card vs a debit card. Debit cards have replaced what used to be your check card, what you’d show with your ID when you wrote a check. Debit and ATM cards are two separate things though you can use a debit card at an ATM. Clear as mud?:rotfl:
I'm feeling really dumb now. I have a card that automatically withdraws money from my bank account when I make purchases, I always select "credit" never "debit" on the card reader at stores, it has the name of my bank and a Visa logo on it but I'm not carrying a credit card balance on it. I can use it at ATMs and I've never had a separate card for that. I've always referred to it as my check card. What is it supposed to be called?

I'm feeling really dumb now. I have a card that automatically withdraws money from my bank account when I make purchases, I always select "credit" never "debit" on the card reader at stores, it has the name of my bank and a Visa logo on it but I'm not carrying a credit card balance on it. I can use it at ATMs and I've never had a separate card for that. I've always referred to it as my check card. What is it supposed to be called?
It’s your debit card from your checking account. Selecting credit still comes from your account but that Visa logo lets you do things like reserve a hotel room or rent a car. I’ve never been sure why you’d select one over the other when it comes to general shopping, it doesn’t have any fees to select credit. I usually tell the cashier to select whatever is easiest or select debit myself. My DH always selects credit but he doesn’t have a valid reason why he does it, he just does.

edit to add: We usually avoid ATMs and get cash at the grocery store but our debit card can be used in an ATM. We can’t make purchases with an ATM card, just get cash from the ATM or bank.

It’s your debit card from your checking account. Selecting credit still comes from your account but that Visa logo lets you do things like reserve a hotel room or rent a car. I’ve never been sure why you’d select one over the other when it comes to general shopping, it doesn’t have any fees to select credit. I usually tell the cashier to select whatever is easiest or select debit myself. My DH always selects credit but he doesn’t have a valid reason why he does it, he just does.
I always thought, and maybe this was once the case but is now outdated, that selecting debit was to have the option to get cash back from the register along with your purchase. Do stores even do that anymore? So many questions... Lol.

I always thought, and maybe this was once the case but is now outdated, that selecting debit was to have the option to get cash back from the register along with your purchase. Do stores even do that anymore? So many questions... Lol.
Debit or charge will work for general shopping. I think you’re right though, you need to select debit to get cash. It’s the only way I get cash unless I need more than they allow (you can get $200-$300 at Smith’s and Walmart). If I need more I go to my bank. I refuse to pay fees at an ATM for my own money.

Personally, I prefer to use Apple Pay. Can’t wait for the day that Apple Pay, Android Pay, Google and the like are mainstream. The ability to use gift cards with it would be icing on the cake.

No such thing as separate ATM and debit cards here. Your bank card is your bank card. You use it for the ATM and to make purchases at merchants.

Do any Canadians out there have 2 cards for your bank account?

No such thing as separate ATM and debit cards here. Your bank card is your bank card. You use it for the ATM and to make purchases at merchants.

Do any Canadians out there have 2 cards for your bank account?
I suspect not many Americans have two but that's how my bank does it. If you have only a savings account it’s an ATM card only, no debit. Debit is your “check card.” To be clear, I can use my debit to access checking through ATM and my savings. I don’t need an ATM card but I was given one.

You lost me at check card...:rotfl2:

I usually have $0. I find that for me I will spend the cash without much thought. With a debit card I more aware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter