How Much Cash Do You Usually Carry?

Generally under $5. I sometimes feel like I should carry cash, but it seems like I rarely if ever use it, since it is so easy to pay with a card.

Every so often though, I get $20 cash back when I am checking out at the grocery store or Target.

We are only doing cash now. Getting ready for retirement so no debt is are big deal. So right now 300.

When I go to the bank, I always try and bump my wallet up to $100. We predominantly use our credit cards, so that is money that is used solely for incidentals, almost like petty cash and doesn't run out very quickly. I think my wallet is currently down around $20, so I will be bringing that total back up soon.

We are only doing cash now. Getting ready for retirement so no debt is are big deal. So right now 300.

What does retirement have to do with it? :)

We are retired (several years) and we keep credit cards (one each). So convenient, and to us, safer. We keep a small amount of cash with us - if under $5, I pay cash!

We don't like to carry a lot of cash with us.
We 'always' pay them off each month, so no interest accrued.

Other than that, of course, no debts, mortgages etc.

What does retirement have to do with it? :)

We are retired (several years) and we keep credit cards (one each). So convenient, and to us, safer. We keep a small amount of cash with us - if under $5, I pay cash!

We don't like to carry a lot of cash with us.
We 'always' pay them off each month, so no interest accrued.

Other than that, of course, no debts, mortgages etc.

We have a couple credit cards but we prefer a cash no debt life. Planning retirement has a lot to us maybe not your system but ours.

I use my credit card for almost everything, so I usually have less than $5 in cash on me- sometimes none at all! About once every couple of months I'll take $60-$100 out of the bank and put it in our household cash-stash, just in case we go someplace that we KNOW will only take cash.

A few random coins maybe? I try (and often fail) to at least always have a loonie (CAD $1 coin) for a shopping cart. If something specifically calls for cash I have to make a special trip to go get it.

I practically never use a credit card, except on-line. :blush: We totally missed the boat on the whole "points and perks" thing. We were early-adopters of debit when it first became available 30'ish years ago and there's virtually nothing we need that can't be purchased that way. We have all our regular bills set up as direct-debits from our bank account so we don't really write cheques anymore either.

Last edited:
We have a couple credit cards but we prefer a cash no debt life. Planning retirement has a lot to us maybe not your system but ours.

I pay the credit cards in full every month, so we are happier using them and building up travel points, as well as earning a little interest on our bank accounts, than we'd be paying in cash for everything. However, I always have a very good idea of the credit card balance and we are good about using them, so we CAN pay the balance every month. I know that doesn't work for some folks, but it's how we do it. We never put more on the cards than isn't budgeted for (barring an emergency, of course)- and retirement planning is already dealt with on its own!

I use my credit card for almost everything, so I usually have less than $5 in cash on me- sometimes none at all! About once every couple of months I'll take $60-$100 out of the bank and put it in our household cash-stash, just in case we go someplace that we KNOW will only take cash.

That's exactly what we do too

None, usually. But my older kids are just getting to the age where they can do things like walk to the store for me and pick up something that I need, walk to the farmer's market on Saturdays, etc. So I've started having some cash at home so I can send them out on errands, since they can't use a card.

None, usually. But my older kids are just getting to the age where they can do things like walk to the store for me and pick up something that I need, walk to the farmer's market on Saturdays, etc. So I've started having some cash at home so I can send them out on errands, since they can't use a card.
Sweet! Our DS is 21 and having him run errands means having to give him one of our debit cards, leaving us without. It's not a great option.

Never much unless it is for a specific purpose. My barber only takes cash for example, so I'll have a twenty if I am going that week. I may have the leftover change from that for a while, but it'd only be a couple of bucks.

I usually have $100 in my wallet. I do use credit cards for most purchases, but like to have cash on hand.

I don’t think I have two nickels to rub together in my wallet. Everything is paid for by debit or online.

I always think I should have cash on me-just in case- but never get around to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter