How many out there, sells their points to do this...

tinkrbells

Faith, trust, & a little Pixie Dust
We are thinking of buying into the VWL this month.
How many of you purchased DVC, but then sold/rent some of your points (except enough for a 5 night stay), to off set your expenses?

I was just curious how many do this, it really makes DVC very affordable if you did this until you had it paid off.

;) tinkrbells...hope to be new DVC members soon!

What I mean by my question is this...

How many of you bought into DVC as more than just vacationing, more of an investment.
Or both? By only using enough points for a 4 or 5 night stay, I can sell the rest to others who need them and I can pay off the loan in almost half of the time I have it financed for.

If there is anyone who does this, can you give me a few ideas or pointers on 'dos and donts' of point selling, trading, transferring, etc.

Thank You!
;)

tinkrbells:pinkbounc

By the rules, you are prohibited from renting your points as a "commercial" venture. There have been a mountain of posts on the DVC board relative to this, and the interpretation of "commercial".

There are those who NEVER rent their points, those who rent those about to expire, those who rent enough to pay their annual dues, and a few who appear to be clearly in the business of renting.

Most will advise you not to buy into DVC as an "investment", but as a pre-paid 42 years of vacations. All investments carry risk, and DVC is no different. There is no guarantee you can rent your points, or at what figure you can rent them for.

We would be purchasing for vacation purposes. So that we will not be paying more and more every year to stay at a resort AND we love the Wilderness Lodge. I was just asking that question because we only go to Disney once a year, for 5 days, and would have the extra points. I would not want them to just expire, but for someone who needed them to get some use out of them, which in turn would help me payoff my investment.

tinkrbells

That's pretty sound logic.

If you can't rent them in a given year, you can always bank them, but there are banking deadlines based upon your use year, so planning is required.

Since I'm one of those who never rents; we either use them or I give them to relatives, I can't give you any tips on renting, but you'll probably be able to find some perusing this board.

Good Luck!

What you suggest--buying enough points so you can go for 5 days and then have enough points left over to rent to cover dues and some of your mortgage payments--is from what I have seen on these boards over time done by a number of people although I suspect it is a small minority. It is allowed under the DVC documents (that would not be considered a "commercial venture"). I think more think about doing it than actually do it because: (a) they end up using all the points themselves (and wishing they had bought more); and (b) renting requires quite a bit of time and effort (listing, phone calls, contracts, possible changes, etc.) and there is risk involved (for example, what happens if the customer backs out past your banking deadline and you have only 60 days to use the points?). Nevertheless, if you can devote the time and effort and accept the risks, it is something to consider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter