How I write a custom running training plan

I can't tell you how invaluable I have found your explanations to be! I've been running for 3-4 years now and starting to get discouraged with progress (or lack of progress). With responsibilities of full time work and full time family, many of my runs start between 4- 5 in the morning. Despite consistently doing them, it can start to wear you down when you aren't seeing much improvement with the hurdles I go through to have the time to run. I had been trying to piece this all together myself lately but there is so much information out there it can be overwhelming...it's not easy! I'm training for my 3rd marathon this fall and would like to make sure that I'm spending my time productively and getting the most out of my training that I can. So many things that I've read here have resonated with my training plans in the past which didn't work well for me.

I'm glad you've found the explantation so useful! I can certainly understand the personal grind and feeling like I'm just spinning my wheels and not going anywhere. When I changed to something very similar to the system I laid out above, that's when things really took off for me. If anything doesn't make sense, or if you've got questions above and beyond the scope of what I covered here - ask away. Also, let me know if you'd like to work together on creating a custom training plan for your marathon this fall.

I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all the things you've put forward here.

I actually ended up on the boards because I was searching for information about training plans for Dopey, specifically looking for reviews of the Hansons' stuff. I feel like understanding the reasoning behind the training plan is so helpful when it comes to slowing down - because I can tell my body that this is worth it and important and this is the benefit I'll get out of it.

Part of me very much wants to learn how to build the training plan for myself (and I have been trying!) but part of me is tempted to ask for one just to I can learn through example too. What you manage to balance makes my little attempt look rather sad. (Also, you're probably less likely to go "but my mileage" which I admit is a problem I have. Ahem.)

Anyway, thank you, because the knowledge you share is so very helpful.

Well I'm more than willing to teach how I do it as well. So if you would prefer to write something on your own and send it my way to review, then I'm here for you. I could give you pointers on what I see and how I would suggest making alterations that would fit my personal philosophy on training plans better. Doesn't mean my way is the right way. Just another path to get to hopefully the same destination.

Well I'm more than willing to teach how I do it as well. So if you would prefer to write something on your own and send it my way to review, then I'm here for you. I could give you pointers on what I see and how I would suggest making alterations that would fit my personal philosophy on training plans better. Doesn't mean my way is the right way. Just another path to get to hopefully the same destination.

I tried to start a conversation with you about this and I'm getting an error that I can't start a new conversation with you as a recipient. I thought the number of posts required was 10?

I tried to start a conversation with you about this and I'm getting an error that I can't start a new conversation with you as a recipient. I thought the number of posts required was 10?

It's something about my account at the moment. It should be resolved in about two weeks.

It's something about my account at the moment. It should be resolved in about two weeks.

Then in the meantime, I've done another pass on my plan using the principles you put forward in this thread and there are a few things still where I have questions (if you have a chance to answer).

Do you feel that there are enough benefits to the Hansons' strength workouts such that leaving them as-is benefits a slower runner (that is, if the total workout time will exceed 120 minutes with warm-up and cool down added)? If not, what recommendations would you make to change them to a shorter workout that would provide the same benefits? What guidelines should I be looking at for duration for tempo workouts and/or speed workouts, given a 6 days per week running schedule? Would those change for fewer days running?

How strict are the restrictions on duration of easy runs during the week? You talk about the cumulative fatigue run; is having the others stay under 60 minutes more a guideline or a rule that should only be broken sparingly, if at all? What about doubling runs? I know the wisdom is generally that this is only necessary for higher mileage days but if we go by the logic that we're really looking at run duration and wanting to keep that below a certain level, two 5k runs of 35 minutes separated by 8+ hours might have less of an impact than a single 10k run of 70 minutes @ EA pace (for example).

Thanks in advance. :)

Then in the meantime, I've done another pass on my plan using the principles you put forward in this thread and there are a few things still where I have questions (if you have a chance to answer).

About to head to Disney for a week, so this will probably be my last chance for a longer response. This was quickly written so please excuse the spelling errors and such.

Do you feel that there are enough benefits to the Hansons' strength workouts such that leaving them as-is benefits a slower runner (that is, if the total workout time will exceed 120 minutes with warm-up and cool down added)?

The purpose of the Hansons Strength workout is two fold.

1) For specificity as it is a close to race pace pace being intervals at -10 seconds.
2) It is the Hansons version of a Lactate Threshold workout. Pacing around 60 min race pace with intervals of rest. The caveat is that the Hansons marathon plan and HM plan have the same "strength" workout as written, but the pacing is different. One is MP - 10 sec and the other is HMP - 10 sec. The true Lactate Threshold pace is closer to the HMP - 10 sec. Although one could make an argument that the cumulative fatigue of the marathon plan forces the LT to shift to a slightly slower pace and thus MP - 10 sec is an appropriate LT pace.

Since the "Strength" workouts are meant to simulate LT workouts, then I will defer to Jack Daniels definitions of LT workouts. The limits for them are 60 min at LT pacing with resting intervals of 1 min per every ~5 min of running. So let's say your LT is 10:00 min/mile. A good LT workout would do intervals that total somewhere around 30-60 min. So a 3 x 1 mile workout would be 30 total min at LT. The resting intervals would be 2 min in-between each mile. If you did a 6 x 1 mile workout, that would still be acceptable with 60 total min of LT and still 2 min RI. The max continuous time spent at LT is 20 min. So if LT is 10:00 min/mile, then you should do no more than 2 total miles (10x2=20min) continuous. So a good max LT workout would be 2 x 2 miles. The interval duration of 20 min LT would mean a total of 4 min of rest between sets. I usually vary those over the course of a training cycle. Spend about 6-8 weeks at this type of pacing. Build from something lower to something higher. Therefore, don't start with a 3 x 20 min workout (or 3 x 2 mile in the case of a 10:00 min/mile LT). I usually start with something in the 20-30 min total LT duration and build up to 40-45 min of total LT duration. I haven't found it necessary to take most all the way to the max. Additionally, most don't do enough training to justify a 60 min LT duration. The last rule of LT type runs is that the LT pace should be no more than 10% of your total duration in a week. So if you do 10 hours of running in a week (600 min), then you can hit the 60 min LT maximum. But very few need to go all the way to a 10 hr running week.

You'll need to also keep an eye on the total 80% easy and 20% hard for the week. That's why I aim for doing easy workouts first when building the plan as it gives me more of an understanding as to the hard maximums. When I write this type of workout, I usually max it around 90 min. So if you do 45 min of LT pacing, then I do 45 min of warm up, cool down, and RI.

What guidelines should I be looking at for duration for tempo workouts and/or speed workouts, given a 6 days per week running schedule? Would those change for fewer days running?

HM Tempo limit for a continuous workout is 60 min.

M Tempo limit for a continuous workout is 60-90 min. Daniels says 150 min, but I don't take people out that far. These are maxes and thus should only be hit 1-2 times towards the very end of the plan.

If you moved from 6 days down to 5 days, then I'd keep an eye on the 80/20 easy/hard %. In most cases, I've found that most people do best when dropping from 6 to 5, to also drop the hard days from 3 to 2. If you truly want to continue to boost the workouts, then switch the Tuesday "Strength/Speed" in a 5 day plan to a 90 min max EB workout. I call the 90 min EB workout a fatigue inducer.

How strict are the restrictions on duration of easy runs during the week?

Strict. An easy day for recovery purposes can't be easy if you continuously take it past 60 min. The only easy day I allow to go past 60 min is the fatigue inducer which I generally schedule once to occur on the day prior to the weekend LR. But predominantly the easy days need to stay around the 60 min time limit or less.

What about doubling runs? I know the wisdom is generally that this is only necessary for higher mileage days but if we go by the logic that we're really looking at run duration and wanting to keep that below a certain level, two 5k runs of 35 minutes separated by 8+ hours might have less of an impact than a single 10k run of 70 minutes @ EA pace (for example).

I've written over 200 plans and many have been very successful. I've only recently written one plan that includes a double day every 2 weeks. This particular plan it was necessary because the person is seemingly plateauing and we're pushing his weekly duration past the 10 hr mark. I scheduled the double building from a 30 + 30 to a 60 + 45. The 60 min duration limit still holds. And the evening workout cap is 45 min. A double is influencing the adaptation, stimulus, recovery response. By reducing the recovery time between workouts, you are forcing the body to adapt more quickly. I've found this tool as a last resort and I'd try many other tools in the tool box before I reach for this one.

About to head to Disney for a week, so this will probably be my last chance for a longer response. This was quickly written so please excuse the spelling errors and such.

Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy Disney. :) This gives me what I think I need to tweak for the HM plan, at least.

I am interested in talking to you about creating a custom training plan but attempts to send you a PM have failed. Maybe you turned it off while you were at disney but when you can please contact me. I'd love your help.

I am interested in talking to you about creating a custom training plan but attempts to send you a PM have failed. Maybe you turned it off while you were at disney but when you can please contact me. I'd love your help.

It's something about my account at the moment. It should be resolved in a few days.

i appreciate you taking the time to put all this down. while a good bit of it is beyond my level of expertise, there is a considerable amount of quality information strewn throughout. even folks who might not be interested in a training plan can benefit from a detailed read of this.

i just pulled together my marathon training plan for a race in october and i feel a lot better knowing much of what i was attempting to do corresponds with how you derive your plans. i was going back and forth on a couple of elements and your comments make me feel a lot better about what i finally settled on. obviously, my effort isn't nearly as detailed but, i know from experience, that's preferable. i haven't run a marathon in a few years and a more casual plan with a simple goal of getting me strong enough to finish is what i need (i got ambitious on my first marathon and paid the price).

that said, if i decide to take another stab at BQ after that, i might come a callin'.

i appreciate you taking the time to put all this down. while a good bit of it is beyond my level of expertise, there is a considerable amount of quality information strewn throughout. even folks who might not be interested in a training plan can benefit from a detailed read of this.

i just pulled together my marathon training plan for a race in october and i feel a lot better knowing much of what i was attempting to do corresponds with how you derive your plans. i was going back and forth on a couple of elements and your comments make me feel a lot better about what i finally settled on. obviously, my effort isn't nearly as detailed but, i know from experience, that's preferable. i haven't run a marathon in a few years and a more casual plan with a simple goal of getting me strong enough to finish is what i need (i got ambitious on my first marathon and paid the price).

that said, if i decide to take another stab at BQ after that, i might come a callin'.

Thanks! Glad to hear many of the core philosophies are reflected in your derivation of your new plan. I certainly know that ambitious first marathon experience.

Popping in here rather late as I have spent a lot of time reviewing lots of running advice on Dis and have some questions specific to this thread. Thanks for your patience and your time should you have some to spare!

The line of thinking that brought me to these questions is considering what kind of training plan is appropriate for a person with little range in pace. I can do all the calcs from your quintessential running post, but my pace is what it is and that is slow and not that variable if I want to maintain it for >30 seconds, so line me up early based on VO2 max and then just put me at the end of the line! While Galloway is totally time based, I'm not in love with his plan structure for reasons I cannot articulate, but I do see the appeal and legitimacy of lower total daily miles with cumulative fatigue.

Early on in this post, you discuss running a total time at a pace vs. running a distance at a pace. Your posts here and elsewhere indicate that you are more focused on cumulative time than distance. So, my question: (1)when you write your plan you are really calculating total time/week as opposed to the written distance/week? If so, I have additional questions (2) Is this time [or I suppose distance if the previous answer is no] uniform for all the plans you create or do you vary it? (3) is this total time [or distance?] independent of the pace a runner can hold?

Popping in here rather late as I have spent a lot of time reviewing lots of running advice on Dis and have some questions specific to this thread. Thanks for your patience and your time should you have some to spare!

More than happy to help! These are great questions and show you're really thinking hard about this.

The line of thinking that brought me to these questions is considering what kind of training plan is appropriate for a person with little range in pace. I can do all the calcs from your quintessential running post, but my pace is what it is and that is slow and not that variable if I want to maintain it for >30 seconds, so line me up early based on VO2 max and then just put me at the end of the line! While Galloway is totally time based, I'm not in love with his plan structure for reasons I cannot articulate, but I do see the appeal and legitimacy of lower total daily miles with cumulative fatigue.

The question is, how do you know you have a little range in pace? From my own personal experience and the experience I've gained working with others, this statement seems true on the surface for most of us. Most in fact struggle to slow down to the paces that I prescribe because in some cases it feels too slow or unnatural. It's definitely an individualistic process though as I've made modifications after a few weeks when some are unable to slow as much as I'm looking for.

When using run/walk, the first place I'd look to is the pace at which you run and the duration of the run/walk intervals. That tends to be where we can manipulate things in order to aid in slowing down or speeding up. So I'd say don't give up quite just yet on pace variation. If you tell me a recent 5k/10k time, then I can go from there in designing run/walk intervals. From there we can see what type of variation we can get.

Early on in this post, you discuss running a total time at a pace vs. running a distance at a pace. Your posts here and elsewhere indicate that you are more focused on cumulative time than distance.

This is true. In my view, the mileage is mostly irrelevant. It's merely a function of what I find to be the more important aspects of a training plan.

1) The relative current fitness pacing.
2) The duration at which you run said relative current fitness pacing.

It's my belief that effort defines the run. There are surrogate measures we can use to evaluate effort such as breathing, pace, and HR. I believe that choosing an appropriate pace structure is one of the single most important aspects of a training plan because of the myriad of benefits of the different paces across the spectrum. But choosing an incorrect pacing structure can lead to issues such as "Surviving the training, instead of thriving because of it."

I use the following chart as an example:

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.53.27 AM.png

Not the easiest to read, I know, because of it's small size. The pacing structure shown here goes from the easiest of pacing that requires little to no effort, to the fastest end of the spectrum (such as mile pace). You can certainly run faster than mile pace, but for the purposes of recreational endurance runners it doesn't serve a great benefit. Now the important part is choosing the pacing spectrum. If you choose based on "current fitness" you're choosing based on current relevant physiological responses in your body. How your body reacts to a nice and slow pace vs a Lactate Threshold pace vs a VO2max pace varies wildly. What I try and illustrate in this is that the pacing spectrum for easy/long is quite wide. But as the pace quickens, the window for that pace shrinks. So if you choose a pacing structure that's too fast, you could suddenly be doing a "5k" workout using "mile" physiological responses. You're likely to end up with a "Survive the training, instead of thrive because of it" situation. You'll either end up too tired to finish, too tired to do another workout the next day, or end up injured. The stimulus/adaptation/recovery response is the basis for the entire training model. Disrupt that and cause too much focus on the need for repair (because pushed too hard) and you'll find yourself with little time to adapt (and thus a stagnation of improvement).

Now on top of those paces themselves, is the amount of time spent at that relative fitness pace. I believe that each of these physiologically relevant paces have a window of duration that helps aid in that stimulus/adaptation/recovery response cycle. Too little time and you don't get the realized gains. Too much time and you disrupt the cycle and force stagnation. So my focus is on the duration of particular paces that are relevant to the user based on their personal history for each individual workout. The mileage that comes from that is simply a by-product. I could write the plans as more time based, but people don't like that. We as runners tend to like seeing a mileage based plan. So I write the plan based on time, and then give it to the person based on mileage. All along they're following a time based plan though.

(1)when you write your plan you are really calculating total time/week as opposed to the written distance/week?

Neither really, but #2 will explain it.

(2) Is this time [or I suppose distance if the previous answer is no] uniform for all the plans you create or do you vary it?

No. The plans are based on question #8:

8) How many and which days are you willing to run each week? How much time on those specific days are you willing to devote to running? (Most important question, so the more detailed response the better.)

When I write a training plan, I have one big goal (and several smaller ones). The big goal is to write something that the user can follow 100%. It won't be followed 100%, but as close as the user can get is ideal. So rather than write a plan that the user has to work their life around. I write a plan that works around their life. The user tells me how many days per week and how much time on those days. So that means the custom plan can be 3, 4, 5, or 6 days. The time per day could be limited to 30 min or 180 min. Or it could be no running on Tues/Wed/Sun for some variety of reasons. Every individual is different in their response to this question and that's where the game begins for me. Fit what I want to see the person do over the time period given to me (both from a weeks till race day and from a time per day allowed standpoint).

Now with that said, I believe honesty is the best policy. So if someone comes to me and says I currently run a 2 hour 10k, I want to train 2 days per week, am limited to 30 min per day, and I want to run a 2:30 marathon in 3 weeks (an obviously extreme example), then I'll be honest and say it probably won't happen.

So there's some back and forth to determine what can best be accomplished. If someone is doing a marathon is when I start to push the number of days per week. I like to see 5 days per week (or even a 4/5 alternating plan). I've done 4 days a week marathon plans, and they've been successful, but they do carry a bit more risk to them.

So the short answer is, no they're not the same. A 3 hour marathon plan might be 9-10 hrs per week. A 6 hour marathon plan might be 9-10 hrs per week. A 1 hr 10k plan might be 6 hrs per week. A 35 min 10k might be 6 hrs per week. It's all dependent on the user and how much time they have available.

But while the weekly time is not set in any way, the workouts which make up the week are in a way. As the pace X duration becomes a consideration based on the time available to me.

(3) is this total time [or distance?] independent of the pace a runner can hold?

Yes. Again, it's based on time available and the history of the runner. Someone could tell me they can do 9 hours per week, but have only recently been doing 30 min per week and I'm not going to take them to their max. Instead I'll build up gradually. Depending on the number of weeks available, they may or may not hit their max available time.

But I've had runners run 6 hour marathons and train for 9-10 hrs per week and I've had 3 hour marathoners do the same. Up until this summer, the hardest training plan I've ever written was for a 6 hour marathon runner. If I had translated that same plan based on my philosophies for most other runners (including myself), they would not have been able to do it. It was very very tough. But that runner showed they were capable of handling that training load, successfully completed the plan, and reaped the benefits.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
So. Many. Thoughts.
But the first is to say thank you for your always thoughtful response. I am always leery of taking up people's free time and I do appreciate your input.

I was hoping there was some sort of realistic standard time or distance used, but that seems to not be the case. This has been the challenge with all of the training plans I have seen, everyone has a different theory and I am not on board with all of it, nor do I think it fits life. For this reason, I believe your attention to question #8 is unique.

how do you know you have a little range in pace?
I believe I have little range in my speed relative to what you posted in your examples based on my fancy new watch giving me paces, and me starting a run saying 'go slow so you finish' followed by 'hurry up, the stop light is going to change and you will be stuck!' and seeing a 30 second swing between the two seems like a smaller delta than you write into plans. My target is to run the whole time, but I do slow down when tired or approaching a drinking fountain or hill and how fast I walk is quite variable, as I can see in the data.

I will premise this followup question with 'I disdain bar graphs, pie charts, and waterfall plots, they make my eyes cross.' But I think what you are saying is that because the window for the runs to the left is large, being too fast or too slow is less detrimental than if you are trying to pace for a mile. Is that correct? And based on your 80/20 ideal the 80% would have more leeway with the stated target paces/physiological responses?

So. Many. Thoughts.

:scratchin

But the first is to say thank you for your always thoughtful response. I am always leery of taking up people's free time and I do appreciate your input.

Free time, yes. But it's truly a passion and never a bother.

I was hoping there was some sort of realistic standard time or distance used, but that seems to not be the case. This has been the challenge with all of the training plans I have seen, everyone has a different theory and I am not on board with all of it, nor do I think it fits life. For this reason, I believe your attention to question #8 is unique.

And I do feel that's a very important take home message. The goal is to write something you feel you can follow 100%. So if that includes day care, evening dinners, family trips, etc. etc. Then I take that all into account. We can't assume that everyone has a nice set schedule or a wide open day. So best to accommodate the user by getting out in front and having them set the boundaries. Then I work within those boundaries.

I believe I have little range in my speed relative to what you posted in your examples based on my fancy new watch giving me paces, and me starting a run saying 'go slow so you finish' followed by 'hurry up, the stop light is going to change and you will be stuck!' and seeing a 30 second swing between the two seems like a smaller delta than you write into plans. My target is to run the whole time, but I do slow down when tired or approaching a drinking fountain or hill and how fast I walk is quite variable, as I can see in the data.

So that sounds a lot like "instantaneous pace" which just on its own is quite variable. I know from experience I can run a very steady and even pace. Yet, my instant pace will be all over the map even if I'm not trying to manipulate. But I'd venture to guess if you had an intentional pace you were trying to hit that was custom based on your current fitness, then you may surprise yourself with the range of paces you could do.

I will premise this followup question with 'I disdain bar graphs, pie charts, and waterfall plots, they make my eyes cross.'

:lmao: I'll do what I can... :surfweb:

But I think what you are saying is that because the window for the runs to the left is large, being too fast or too slow is less detrimental than if you are trying to pace for a mile. Is that correct?

You got it. That easy window physiologically is huge, and hard to miss if you know where it's at. But the faster you get relatively the tighter the window gets. And when you miss on long run pace, you're probably still in the general area. When you miss on 3k pace, you're asking for trouble.

And based on your 80/20 ideal the 80% would have more leeway with the stated target paces/physiological responses?

To an extent, yes. That 80% easy range is made up of three primary paces for continuous runners (EA, EB, and LR) and for run/walk runners there's just one (Galloway + 2 min). But strictly speaking they are all aerobic paces. They're just a big range to elicit roughly the same response. It's that 20% you need to be a bit more specific with. But generally the issue isn't how you make up the 80 vs the 20. It's generally that the 80 doesn't exist. Many people that I start working with are doing 0-20% easy and almost exclusively physiologically hard pacing. Once we switch the plan up, then things start to click.

But when it comes down to actual practice with the 80% easy. I tell the person:

Easy isn't easy if it doesn't feel easy.

So generally, I say don't go faster than X. But you can and absolutely should go slower if the effort warrants it.

But when it comes down to actual practice with the 80% easy. I tell the person:

Easy isn't easy if it doesn't feel easy.

So generally, I say don't go faster than X. But you can and absolutely should go slower if the effort warrants it.
And that sounds easier than it is. Running slower, when you did your previous workouts too fast, is not easy ;)

I asked Billy a few times, if I can go faster, because I could, but he still says no. Good thing is, my heartrate also gets down AND my legs are not sore the other day.

And that sounds easier than it is. Running slower, when you did your previous workouts too fast, is not easy ;)

I asked Billy a few times, if I can go faster, because I could, but he still says no. Good thing is, my heartrate also gets down AND my legs are not sore the other day.

This is SOOOO true. Running slower than you have is harder than it sounds. It feels like you are not being productive, but follow it. It works.

I asked this on the general running thread but things tend to get lost there so I wanted to post it here. I have started to pay more attention to becoming fat adapted and wondered what resources you'd suggest for me to start? I am reading up on the MAF method and am trying to find a local lab where I can get my metabolic efficiency tested and determine where my current crossover point is. I am going to look into the MAF test to see exactly what information that can get me as to my target heart rate as well.

Once this year's race season is over I plan to switch up my training and diet to concentrate on becoming fat adapted to see if that gets me over my hump and my time down to a BQ for my next full attempt. Looking over your information here (and I have it printed out to read in full as soon as I have some time) it looks like you promote training to burn more fat during a run and I was wondering if you have any resources I should check out that I don't have on my list already. I ordered Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance book and will be reading Mr. Maffeton's whitepapers and website on his method but any additional information you can direct me towards would be highly appreciated.

I really admire your scientific approach to training and while running by feel has gotten me pretty far I think switching over to a more scientific approach is what I need to reach my next goals.

I asked this on the general running thread but things tend to get lost there so I wanted to post it here. I have started to pay more attention to becoming fat adapted and wondered what resources you'd suggest for me to start? I am reading up on the MAF method and am trying to find a local lab where I can get my metabolic efficiency tested and determine where my current crossover point is. I am going to look into the MAF test to see exactly what information that can get me as to my target heart rate as well.

Once this year's race season is over I plan to switch up my training and diet to concentrate on becoming fat adapted to see if that gets me over my hump and my time down to a BQ for my next full attempt. Looking over your information here (and I have it printed out to read in full as soon as I have some time) it looks like you promote training to burn more fat during a run and I was wondering if you have any resources I should check out that I don't have on my list already. I ordered Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance book and will be reading Mr. Maffeton's whitepapers and website on his method but any additional information you can direct me towards would be highly appreciated.

I really admire your scientific approach to training and while running by feel has gotten me pretty far I think switching over to a more scientific approach is what I need to reach my next goals.

I haven't done a ton of research on this topic. Most of my information came from pretty general recommendations which was reflected in durations and the necessity for recovery. So I'd limit carb intake on any run less than 90 min and allow it on anything longer than 90 min. The primary purpose being making sure a person was fully prepared for the next training run. The idea being runs over 90 min start to dip "too much" into the glycogen stores to be fully prepared for the next run. So an allowance of carb intake was made. But runs less than 90 min didn't push this threshold much, and so limiting carbs allowed the body to work some on fat adaptation.

I don't generally recommend doing the glycogen depletion training (runs longer than 120 min without carbs) until it's been shown that other improvements in quality of training won't take you where you want to go. It's just slightly more risky, but can be beneficial if done correctly.

I do remember listening to this runnersconnect podcast on a similar topic:

https://runnersconnect.net/running-...y-training-bob-seebohar-ms-rd-cssd-cscs-mets/

I seem to remember one of the key things I got out of it was that a metabolic efficiency test was useful for in the moment, but that the bodies response could be changed in as few as a few weeks. So with that being said, I was interested in doing one, but cautious about spending too much (since the data could be irrelevant as quickly as 2 weeks later). Now if they had a staggered system where you got to test multiple times over the course of several weeks, then that's something that would be far more interesting. One thing this does reinforce is the idea of carb loading and the idea of fat adaptation 5 days prior leading to potential benefits.

My guess is this will provide some benefits, but likely in most cases only a marginal increase in performance. But, what works for one person may or may not work for everyone. So if you've exhausted other options in improving performance, then this is the next logical step.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter