How do YOU take pictures in the parks?

KVH

DIS Veteran
Just what the title says. I see lots of posts of people taking shots and uploading but not a lot of discussion and I'm very curious. Of course, it assumes you have an adjustable camera.

When you go into one of the parks, do you just set it on Automatic and click away? Do you not even go to Program mode (or one of the priorities)? If you do, do you adjust your metering mode too? Or your drive settings? Or other unique settings on your camera? All of these questions are predicated on you changing something based on conditions to get a shot a certain way (backlighting, etc).

How many of you have been busy changing a setting and totally missed the shot you wanted?

And now, having asked this, I wonder if I'm gonna be depressed by the answers.

Interesting question. I'm sure the answers will be all over the place.

First - I try to get the shot, rather than fiddling with adjustments. Then, if time, I'll do another one adjusting as appropriate.

To expand: I like to shoot things like landscape or architectural details and seldom get actions/people in my pix. So I normally walk around with my camera set on Aperture Priority mode. Then when I see something I want a shot of, I grab a quick one. If it looks like a different setting or framing would help, that's when I'll start fiddling with stuff. I've also been able to compensate for some failures on that end by doing some post-capture editing on the computer.

Aperture Priority - 90%of the time adjust F to get the DOF I am looking for, also been playing with auto ISO, but most of the time set ISO on the fly 60-800 range. Full manual if I am doing fireworks or flash work.

I usually pick a lens each day and use that the entire day, unless I know ahead of time what shot I am going for.

Great question! Much like OKW Lover I just try to get the shot without worrying too much about settings (I know, practically blasphemy). I generally care more about the angle of the shot and the subject. Having been to WDW many times I now look for unique things; things that the average person would ignore or miss. Unlike many photographers I truly enjoy editing and I know my pictures would start out better if I spent time adjusting the settings but it works for me.

Aperture Priority - 90%of the time adjust F to get the DOF I am looking for, also been playing with auto ISO, but most of the time set ISO on the fly 60-800 range. Full manual if I am doing fireworks or flash work.

I usually pick a lens each day and use that the entire day, unless I know ahead of time what shot I am going for.
I like that one lens a day. Going to try that next week. With that and my Joby Sling, I won't have to take a bag into the parks and that's huge in the heat.

I like that one lens a day. Going to try that next week. With that and my Joby Sling, I won't have to take a bag into the parks and that's huge in the heat.
I have 3 favorites right now. Shooting with a z7ii and the 26mm 2,8 pancake....so small and compact but has a perfect focal length for mid range shots. Can do some full body portraits and landscape.

Also love the 24-120 4.0 for its versatility. 4.0 not very good for indoor stuff, but the z7ii is useable to above 6,000 iso...so I am adapting.

and of course 50mm 1.4

Without my FF body, I'll be taking APS-C only so concentrating on as wide as possible. Plus maybe a big sensor P&S. Can't decide on the superzoom. God, I hate travelling and having to pack a camera bag. I see so much I'm not taking and start freaking. Need to get back to basics I think.

Its about getting the shot for me.

If I am taking shots on rides (don't know if its still allowed or not and it's been a while since I've been to a Disney park), then before I get on the ride, I'm already changing over to the appropriate lens and adjusting settings depending on if it's a dark ride or not; or if it has a hybrid.

After that, on the ride, it's just getting the shot.

Ofc. First and foremost. Enjoying the ride is prime. :)
If I miss the shot, either I get on the ride again or I just let it go.

Without my FF body, I'll be taking APS-C only so concentrating on as wide as possible. Plus maybe a big sensor P&S. Can't decide on the superzoom. God, I hate travelling and having to pack a camera bag. I see so much I'm not taking and start freaking. Need to get back to basics I think.

FWIW.

I recently had a trip to the UK and had to consider what I put in the bag. In the end, I decided less was more; and for Europe, I ditched the superzoom. I think there was only one instance where I wished I had it in the bag.
You'll adjust your shooting style and subject/focus based on the equipment you take with you anyway.

More importantly....I am glad the superzoom stayed at home. My international flight carrier was pretty pedantic about carry on weight. They weighed my camera bag and it was under the limit. If the superzoom had gone in, the bag would have been over.

On hindsight. I don't think I would have wanted to be walking all through the UK with that much weight in the bag anyway.

I typically set it in Aperture priority and auto iso and just worry about selecting the aperture for the effect I want. Last trip was the first with the grandbaby, so she was the priority in getting pictures. I also do the just one lens a day, this trip was mostly my 24-70 2.8.

These days, I don't. It's been a very long time since I was at the parks. We'll eventually start going back, I hope.

If I did, on most days I think I'd just bring my phone and grab occasional shots with that. I am now more binary in my shooting - either it's very casual and a phone or GoPro is enough or its much more serious and my focus is primarily on photography.

If I went with the intent to focus on my photography, I'd spend most of my time in aperture priority mode. I'd adjust my ISO based on the lighting conditions and my aperture based on my creative decisions. As a general rule, I don't pay much attention to shutter speed except to make sure that it is fast enough.

There are exceptions. For some shots, shutter speed is my primary concern and I might switch to shutter priority. An example would be wanting a particular amount of motion blur on a ride. Sometimes I just don't care that much and leave it on auto exposure. I can imagine scenarios where I would switch to manual, but I don't think I've ever done it at Disney. If you're worried about missing shots, manual mode is the worst option.

I shoot full manual. Sometimes AUTO ISO but that's also burned me. Yes, it's sometimes torturous, but also fulfilling and challenging. Makes it overall more enjoyable; at least for me.

I also shoot all prime lenses which is another burden but I love the quality and being able to shoot wide open at f/1.2-1.8.

Last edited:
For the most part I use the various program modes.

For things at night/in the dark I do use manual setting - for example HHN - as a PP said its not always perfect.

I have three cameras - a full frame cannon R8 with several prime lenses (17, 24 and 50).
A several year old Lumix pocket camera that has an F1.4 - been trying to find something to replace it but there are not a lot of options for that type of camera that are better than the Lumix.
This year I am thinking of using my Pixel Pro a lot more, sacrilege I know but they have come a long way.

For vacation photos that probably just go in a folder and don't get looked at so much I am starting to think that is the way to go. I am sort of tired of lugging around the camera bag and prime lenses. On my recent trip to Portugal I decided to skip the camera and lenses. I still brought the pocket camera since I'm still iffy about the phone - but I am really impressed with the photos out of the Pixel Pro 6 and assume the 8 will be that much better.

Its very unfortunate that Samsung gave up on the NX line of cameras - they were doing things that are just now part of the Pixel Pro 8. I feel the rest of the industry is only starting to catch up to that camera from 2016.
The NX500 is still pretty impressive for a compact camera.

For HHN this year I am still on the fence - Ill probably bring my Canon full frame - but if the Pixel Pro 8 works out I may be leaving it in the room for the most part.

One added bonus of not carrying an SLR style camera - I didn't have anyone asking me to take their photo.
For some reason I am constantly asked to take peoples photos.
BTW - this is something you don't want to do in Portugal - its a common scam there for people to ask you to take their photo and then drop the camera when you hand it back to them and make a scene - so I was really wanting to avoid that this time. There is very little crime in Portugal other than pick pockets and its very safe, but this is one thing you want to watch out for.

Last edited:
For the most part I use the various program modes.

For things at night/in the dark I do use manual setting - for example HHN - as a PP said its not always perfect.

I have three cameras - a full frame cannon R8 with several prime lenses (17, 24 and 50).
A several year old Lumix pocket camera that has an F1.4 - been trying to find something to replace it but there are not a lot of options for that type of camera that are better than the Lumix.
This year I am thinking of using my Pixel Pro a lot more, sacrilege I know but they have come a long way.

For vacation photos that probably just go in a folder and don't get looked at so much I am starting to think that is the way to go. I am sort of tired of lugging around the camera bag and prime lenses. On my recent trip to Portugal I decided to skip the camera and lenses. I still brought the pocket camera since I'm still iffy about the phone - but I am really impressed with the photos out of the Pixel Pro 6 and assume the 8 will be that much better.

Its very unfortunate that Samsung gave up on the NX line of cameras - they were doing things that are just now part of the Pixel Pro 8. I feel the rest of the industry is only starting to catch up to that camera from 2016.
The NX500 is still pretty impressive for a compact camera.

For HHN this year I am still on the fence - Ill probably bring my Canon full frame - but if the Pixel Pro 8 works out I may be leaving it in the room for the most part.

One added bonus of not carrying an SLR style camera - I didn't have anyone asking me to take their photo.
For some reason I am constantly asked to take peoples photos.
BTW - this is something you don't want to do in Portugal - its a common scam there for people to ask you to take their photo and then drop the camera when you hand it back to them and make a scene - so I was really wanting to avoid that this time. There is very little crime in Portugal other than pick pockets and its very safe, but this is one thing you want to watch out for.

Interesting about people not asking you to take pictures when you're using your Pixel Pro. Now I find that when I use my Pixel 7 people ask all the time. And yes, your Pixel 8 will be wonderful for pictures! I took almost all my night pics and inside attractions pics with my Pixel 7 including fireworks at the MK. But I still use my Sony a6000 for landscapes etc. with a Sony 18-135 lens almost exclusively.

In the past, I've packed a dual combo - a body with 24-xx f/4 equivalent and a fast prime (usually the Nikon 16-80 f/2.8-4 or 24-120 f/4, along with a 35 f/1.8 or similar), and for a second camera I have my Coolpix A with APS-C, pocket-sized, and 18.5mm f/2.8. The CPA fills the gap of something competent and small, and something I can hand to somebody and get a good pictures.

Now with mirrorless, the D500 DSLR body is being dropped in favor of a Zfc, though keeping the same 16-80 zoom. I'm also bringing a Zf with 24-70 f/2.8 (my Z8 is out to the shop at the moment).

For settings, the Coolpix A is set to aperture priority, auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed, and person detect AF. It shoots fast with no setup. The larger body (historically a D500) I can have in the correct exposure mode and dialed in within 1-2 seconds from any mode - though usually I leave it in aperture priority and twiddle the EC and ISO manually. Going with Zf/Zfc bodies without the modern Nikon controls does slow that down significantly, but for this trip I don't care much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter