How do you handle childcare

DD is school age, during the summer I pay $210 for 4 days, you can drop off after 7am pick up before 6pm.

School year (same place) $115 for 5 days (same drop off p/u times)... Incl school vacations and half days and school bus back and forth...

I love them though they are the greatest!!!

Outside of their hours I depend on DH and other family...

Oh man, that's rough. That's a lot of money. I'm sorry you're experiencing this!

I try to only work when DS is scheduled to be with his dad. Otherwise, my mom keeps him. I looked into care.com as a backup, but I just couldn't hire a stranger to keep DS, especially overnight. Plus, it's very expensive for an overnight nanny (especially for a baby). I travel for work.

I use a drop-in facility. They actually do afterschool care as well, picking them up from school. For a set amount ($400/mo) I get that transportation and they will keep the children for 4 hours from the time they pick them up, which means I have until 7:30pm. For an additional $5 per child they can get dinner if they are there past 6pm. It's $9 for each additional hour and they are open until 9pm. I don't use them for before care. I drop off in car pool. They don't open until 8:30 in the morning anyway. But I can also use them on Teacher's Workdays if I need to and they are still open (so far) in bad weather. Perhaps there's a place like that near you that can take him in the evenings? I hope something works out. My two have Godparents and my mom is close but there are times when no one is available, especially when school is closed because they work too.

Thankfully, my dad is retired now, so he gets DS from the bus stop and stays with him until I get home. Before my dad retired, though (and before DS was in school), I used an in-home daycare. My dad actually saw a sign in the front yard on his way home from work one day. Through my personal experience and talking with others, I've found that in-home programs tend to be much easier to work with in terms of cost and schedules. The one I used would charge per day based on your income. They also have smaller group sizes, so I felt much more at ease that he was actually being watched. I know it seems scary, but try searching Craigslist for in-home daycare? I would absolutely meet with them ahead of time and get references and all that, of course.

Have you priced in home nannys or au pairs? A co worker has an au pair that seems to help with everything around the house. I think there are agencies that coordinate finding one and there may even be options for doing a share with another family.

If my mother wasn't serving as my nanny I'd be lost so I can't even imagine the struggle it is to find someone that you trust. Hopefully you'll find some better options soon.

Currently, my mother who is retired helps with childcare. This is the first year my daughter's school doesn't have before and after care. Before, I paid the school $35 per week for after care only. Now that she's at a school with no before or after care I drop her off in the morning and my mom picks her up in the afternoon and cares for her at her home until I get off from work.

Have you looked into your local YMCA? In my area (Louisiana) they provide before and after care for about $50 per week. This includes help with homework, activities (swimming every friday), and transportation to and from school. I thought about using their services this year if my mom wouldn't have been available since they are located in my neighborhood. I heard they also grant scholarships on a needs basis.

I know Craigslist can be scary but there are good people out there. I found my daughter's sitter on Craigslist 2 years ago and I love it! And she only costs $100.00/week. I do not have to pay her for holidays or when we are on vacation. She is very accommodating and is wonderful with the kids. We were able to tour her house and she gave us references. I will be using her until next year when my daughter goes to Kindergarten. We were even invited to her wedding this spring. Definitely tour the home and get references.

I would talk to your boss and if they are going to make you work nights/weekends, I would start looking for a new job. All your money is going to sitters and you and your son are missing time together.

Au pars are usually found through word of mouth or an agency. In home sitters who come and go as needed are usually found the same way. What major city is nearest you?

As crazy as it sounds is there a college near you? When I was in school a lot of us worked as baby sitters and were pretty affordable. Most of the people end up sitting for the same family for years.

Happy to report that I started a new job 6ish weeks ago! My son now spends about 1/3 of the time in daycare that he used to and we are much happier :teeth:

Thanks for the update! You are pretty active here so when I saw it come on the suggested posts in that stupid google thing at the bottom I didn't think to check the date. Silly me. Glad everything worked out well.

So glad it worked out so well for you!! Daycare is rough and it was obvious your previous job wasn't fitting your life or your needs well.

Congrats!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!