Hotwire canceled my room for Thur Night due to Irma. Help?

Gillbob316

Mouseketeer
So quick backstory...

I have a trip booked Thur the 14th through Sun the 24th. Flying in the 14th. The hurricane obviously impacts many trips of many people right now, but at present my trip is/was still on track to happen.

I was originally supposed to leave the 15th, but plans changed and I was able to tack a day onto the front of my trip.

My original booking was for a Hotwire Hotrate Hotel 15th-24th. Baymont Inn & Suites. It's one of the better reviewed cheap-end hotrate hotels in the area. But still cheap. Hotwire has a 1-time per booking offer to add nights onto your say, I exercised that option and added a night the 14th to 15th. (That option is now gone, as mentioned, it's 1-time per booking)

This morning I received an e-mail from hotwire notifying me my booking had been canceled due to the hurricane. Thankfully they only cancelled the 1 additional night, and not the entire booking, so my stay the 15-24 is for the moment intact. But that leaves me with nowhere to stay the night I arrive, and my trip is only 5 days out.

What baffles me is Hotwire is still accepting bookings for the same hotel the night of the 14th. You can also book that night on the hotel's website. Why are they still booking the same stay they cancelled on me? It confuses me. I consider re-booking, but for all I know it will just be cancelled again. (Same applies to the idea of calling to try and undo the cancellation. Furthermore most Florida locations are discouraging calling for bookings after Tuesday right now, due to more immediate hurricane concerns.) If they're shut down they're shut down, but if so, why are they still booking that night? It's leaving me confused about how to proceed...

Do I rebook the same stay in a new reservation?
Do I call and try to undo the cancellation?
Should I wash my hands of this and book a night at another hotel for the night I arrive?

I was trying to avoid hotel hopping for 1 night on my first day, which is why I initially extended my stay at Baymont, but it's ultimately not the end of the world if I have to. There are far worse problems to have (this week especially).

I'm considering just booking a night at a Disney resort, but the price difference is significant. I'm travelling solo and could never afford to stay onsite myself all week, but I can swing 1 night. I imagine Disney will have a much better handle getting back on track in the hurricane's aftermath than most smaller hotels. Plus hey... free grey magic band. lol.

I'm... hopeful (since they haven't cancelled my booking and are still taking new bookings for the moment) that Baymont will be ready by Friday? But who knows. For all I know they could cancel the rest of my stay as the weekend rolls on. *Shrug* I guess we'll see how the weekend unfolds.

Thoughts? Opinions? Sage words of advice?

Last edited:
I would try Galleria Palms. It's right by Baymont. I like they have interior corridors for their rooms.

Update:

Got another e-mail from Hotwire just now, several hours later. They say the original cancellation was made in error and they've confirmed that the Baymont will be open and accepting guests, and I should proceed there as scheduled. *Facepalm*

When I check the booking on hotwire.com, it still says cancelled... so... I'll certainly be printing said e-mail and bringing it with me. But in any event... sounds like this whole thing was moot. Luckily I hadn't booked a new hotel yet.

Maybe just call Baymont Inn and Suites and book directly through them - don't know if it is possible but may be worth a shot. I often book hotels through hotwire but in this case might just leave it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!