Hotel Del Coronado?

westie55

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

My family is headed to Disneyland in August. We have 3 children (7, 5, and an infant). We are considering staying at Hotel Del Coronado for 3 nights following our stay in DL. We are from the east coast and while we have been to Disneyland once, we have never been to Coronado.

Any tips or suggestions for us? Is the Del a great experience or not worth it? Do we need a car to get around or are the restaurants and shops on Orange Ave an easy walk? Is Coronado safe and clean? We've visited LA and San Francisco and found those to be a mixed bag.

Any dining recommendations that are family friendly? We love seafood with a view. I've heard great things about the Crown Room Sunday brunch and I really hope that returns! Is there anything similar nearby if it doesn't?

Thanks for any input! :)

DO NOT GO TO THE DEL right now. Hop on Trip advisor and see why. They are undergoing a huge reno project and the experience has not been positive for most folks. The rooms in the old building are in need of repair and not worth $700. Go walk around, but wait until construction is done.

I would stay down the road at LOEWS Coronado. More room for your family, exceptional experience for a third of the cost!

Worth it is very subjective…it’s very old fashioned designed to feel like in the early 1900s to the point where it FEELS run down. It isn’t AT ALL but just very old world feeling.

Coronado is safe and clean to the point where the only thing residents complain about are bike lanes being unsightly on the road.

If you’re staying on Coronado and only planning to eat on Coronado you don’t need a car. There aren’t any other brunch buffets on Coronado that I know of so you would have to go elsewhere either by Uber or the Ferry. The Ferry goes to and from Downtown San Diego and you could Uber to the Ferry Landing. Seaview in Downtown and Humphrey’s on Shelter Island are similar. If you plan to roam around more areas of San Diego than Coronado and Downtown I would say rent a car.

I can’t think of any specifically kid friendly restaurants on Coronado. Corvette Diner in Liberty Station is kid friendly so is Sugar Factory downtown.

I was going to say 3 nights is a long time, but I didn't realize there was a big project going on. I agree with above and think you might like Lowes better. Hotel del Coronado has direct beach access, which is awesome. So, if the current project isn't going to bother you too much, you might want to spend one night there. I live locally and have never stayed overnight, but it's a very fun place to hang out/walk around. I haven't been during this large project, so maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much right now.

You don't need a car if you are staying in Coronado the whole time. I find it to be excessive to stay there for 3 days, but if you really just want to kick back, maybe it's fine. You can take a ferry to downtown San Diego if you want to go to the restaurants there. I think the Cheesecake Factory is very close to the ferry landing on the city side. Downtown San Diego will be a mixed bag like the other big cities.

Its not the slightest bit convenient to Coronado Island, but I second dinner at the Corvette Diner. My kids LOVE eating there.

We recently stayed at Loews Coronado Resort, and it was nice for a family. However, it is not close to downtown Coronado and you would definitely need a car to be able to do anything. The hotel is pretty much isolated with very few dining options. I can't comment on staying at Hotel Del, but it was lovely to visit for a day.

We also have never stayed at the Hotel Del due to living locally, but it is my kids' favorite beach in San Diego and we love walking around there. It's an easy walk/bike ride around town and very clean/safe. Personally I wouldn't spend three days there but would hit the Zoo/Balboa Park at least, which was my kids absolute favorite when they were little.

We stay at the Del every few years combined with a DLR vacation. We love it. We easily spend three nights there. I have also stayed at the Loews down the way, but there's no comparison for us. The history and ambiance of the Del is something that we love (from the Disney connection and beyond). If the major reno is still ongoing then that would be something to consider. I can't wait to stay there again once the reno is complete to see what's new and different. The Del beach and neighborhood are far superior to the Loews -- which fronts onto the cityview side and not the beach (also you will take the shuttle to the Coronado commercial area vs being right outside your door at the Del). So for us it's one of our very favorite hotels. It is very kid friendly as well, lots to do onsite and of course that beach...

Last edited:
Our last stay at the Hotel Del was a year ago, early March 2021. We were assigned an epic room in the historic section: on the 5th floor, corner unit, easily identifiable from the beach. While the interior was "meh" -- the location was outstanding. (Using the attached photo, look for the A-frame section in the middle of the photo. The set of windows above the awning was our room. Simply fantastic!)

We stayed 3 nights and loved every minute. Parked the car and didn't move it. We either walked or rode our OneWheel boards everywhere we wanted to go including the Ferry Landing for dinner at Peohe's (seafood, outdoor table on the water with a view of the San Diego skyline).

FWIW, we booked that stay using DVC points and received lots of perks including breakfast vouchers. Granted, the Crown Room wasn't open, but the onsite dining at breakfast was fantastic. We were blown away with how perfect this stay-cation played out. We wouldn't hesitate to do this again ... :)

Attachments

• Hotel-del-Coronado-in-Coronado-California.jpg
    Hotel-del-Coronado-in-Coronado-California.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9
We stay at the Del every few years combined with a DLR vacation. We love it. We easily spend three nights there. I have also stayed at the Lowes down the way, but there's no comparison for us. The history and ambiance of the Del is something that we love (from the Disney connection and beyond). If the major reno is still ongoing then that would be something to consider. I can't wait to stay there again once the reno is complete to see what's new and different. The Del beach and neighborhood are far superior to the Lowes -- which fronts onto the cityview side and not the beach (also you will take the shuttle to the Coronado commercial area vs being right outside your door at the Del). So for us it's one of our very favorite hotels. It is very kid friendly as well, lots to do onsite and of course that beach...

We recently stayed at Loews Coronado Resort, and it was nice for a family. However, it is not close to downtown Coronado and you would definitely need a car to be able to do anything. The hotel is pretty much isolated with very few dining options. I can't comment on staying at Hotel Del, but it was lovely to visit for a day.

I checked out Loews and my thinking was similar to what you both mentioned. I think we'll be able to enjoy the Del's beach, pool, dining and nearby shopping for a few days. Being in the center of it all appeals to us due to the young ages of our kids. Thanks for the feedback!

There's a location close to the Hotel Del Coronado called 'The Tavern' which is reasonably priced and does have a great food menu. Do check it out if you get time.

I did not know it was part of DVC Interval but the Del is now owned by Hilton and I think it is consider in their new Signia Branding.
So also use your Hilton Honor Points if you are a member to compare value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter