Hotel Day Pass for Nassau, Excursions, Things to do/Not do

Kade

Earning My Ears
I'm preparing for our (DH, DS who will be 5 when we cruise, and I) 4 day Disney cruise to Nassau and Castaway Cay in April/May 2014. I've been doing some research on what we're going to do when we get to Nassau. I've heard of some people getting a day pass for the Sheraton or Hilton or Atlantis. I wanted to know, what is the purpose of getting a day pass for the Sheraton or Hilton to use their beach, pools, etc.? Are there no public beaches to go to? Or are the public beaches not nice? I'm just trying to figure out what's the purpose of paying $25 per person to use the beach, pool (which will also be on the cruise), towels (which I have), and non-motorized sports (which I don't really care for), if all I want to do is go to a nice beach? I'm trying to see if there is something that I'm not understanding that would make me want to spend the money for a day pass.

Also, is Atlantis really worth the money they are charging? I've heard some people tell me to skip it, it's not worth the money and I've had some people say, you have to go to Atlantis.

Lastly, does anyone have any advice on any excursions or things to do or not do at Nassau? This will be our first time going.

I think going to a beach at a resort is a great first experience with a little one. Atlantis is okay but a little pricey. I would go with one of the other hotels. The advantage of a hotel beach is that it is private to the hotel and only guests and paying customers can be on it. You don't have to worry about sketchy vendors and random people bothering you. While there are pools on the ship, they are a little small and can get quite cramped. Going to the hotel offers large pools that you can spread out in and ample chair space that's not on the ship. It's really nice just to get off the ship for a while.

I would avoid the Straw Market and most of the shopping on the main streets since your DS is so young. It's a very overwhelming place for adults and even more so when you bring kids there. It's not necessarily unsafe as it is full of very persistent vendors in the Market and lots of breakables in shops. :thumbsup2

I think going to a beach at a resort is a great first experience with a little one. Atlantis is okay but a little pricey. I would go with one of the other hotels. The advantage of a hotel beach is that it is private to the hotel and only guests and paying customers can be on it. You don't have to worry about sketchy vendors and random people bothering you. While there are pools on the ship, they are a little small and can get quite cramped. Going to the hotel offers large pools that you can spread out in and ample chair space that's not on the ship. It's really nice just to get off the ship for a while.

I would avoid the Straw Market and most of the shopping on the main streets since your DS is so young. It's a very overwhelming place for adults and even more so when you bring kids there. It's not necessarily unsafe as it is full of very persistent vendors in the Market and lots of breakables in shops. :thumbsup2

Thanks a lot for the feedback! So, are there no places to really go or tour with a young child, at Nassau, other than the beaches?

Most of the port adventures offered through Disney are marine and water based. (swimming with sea life such as dolphins or sea lions, harbor cruising, etc.) There are a couple that your DS might enjoy if he likes animals. The Discover Atlantis tour was pretty cool. You get a tour of the aquarium "ruins" with a guided tour and then time after but it doesn't include admission to the pools. They also have the Semi-Submarine tour which is a glorified glass bottom boat and I've heard it's fun for little ones. Other than that, the pool is probably one of the better options.

The only con to getting a day pass to a hotel not through Disney is that you have to go through another island tour company or get your own transportation. You are held responsible for your return back to the ship. With a Disney tour, your return on board in guaranteed. I haven't really heard of anyone who has had a problem returning to the ship on time for any excursion even outside of DCL. You have almost all day to be on the island and it seems that most people return to the ship by midday.

If you go to the DCL website, in the menu bar under Ships & Activities, click on the Port Adventures link and you can browse through all the excursions that DCL offers as well as price and level of age appropriateness. :cool1:

I'm preparing for our (DH, DS who will be 5 when we cruise, and I) 4 day Disney cruise to Nassau and Castaway Cay in April/May 2014. I've been doing some research on what we're going to do when we get to Nassau. I've heard of some people getting a day pass for the Sheraton or Hilton or Atlantis. I wanted to know, what is the purpose of getting a day pass for the Sheraton or Hilton to use their beach, pools, etc.? Are there no public beaches to go to? Or are the public beaches not nice? I'm just trying to figure out what's the purpose of paying $25 per person to use the beach, pool (which will also be on the cruise), towels (which I have), and non-motorized sports (which I don't really care for), if all I want to do is go to a nice beach? I'm trying to see if there is something that I'm not understanding that would make me want to spend the money for a day pass.

Also, is Atlantis really worth the money they are charging? I've heard some people tell me to skip it, it's not worth the money and I've had some people say, you have to go to Atlantis.

Lastly, does anyone have any advice on any excursions or things to do or not do at Nassau? This will be our first time going.

We have been to Nassau a couple of times now and are going back at the end of April on the Magic. Last May, my DH and I had planned to get a day pass at the Sheraton but unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. We were going to have access to a private beach, private pool, food/drinks, kayaking, snorkel gear, water trampoline, floatation mats, aqua cycle and paddle boats. If none of this interests you, then a day pass probably isn't for you. Pools on the ship are very small and very crowded and we weren't interested in Junkanoo beach which is the closest to the port due to feedback from other cruisers, so the Sheraton sounded like a perfect way to spend the day in Nassau. Since it stormed most of the day, we visited a couple of shops and got some shirts and other souvenirs and did a few things around the ship.

When we visit in late April we will be spending the day at Atlantis, weather permitting. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter