Hogwarts acceptance letter and more questions...

mamamac

Mouseketeer
Again this is my first trip to Universal and I am not all that up to date with the HP stuff, but don't worry my girls are. I am surprising them so I can't ask them questions.

1. When you go to Disney, they send you your arm bands / tickets prior to leaving in the mail. Will Universal send me anything or is it all in my confirmation email?? I'm thinking like the personalized maps you can do for Disney? Anything?

2. I've looked on Etsy for an "Acceptance Letter", does anyone have someone they recommend?

3. T-Shirts - I found some on Amazon that I thought were cute, but since I don't know enough about each of the different teams, which one is "cool" for a 12 or 11 yo girl?

4. Lanyards - I think I found the ones I want. They have the little pouch to put the tickets in but will we need to take the cards out every time for the express passes? Or do you just hold it up to the thing?

5. Any other ideas on how to surprise them? My thought is - A box is delivered (I actually will put it on the front porch) while we are in FL at the beach with the acceptance letter, a t-shirt, and the lanyard. Is there anything else that is a "must have HP thing before we get to the park?"

Thank you for helping me make this an awesome trip. Again last night my 12 year old sat at the dinner table telling us that she is sort of upset that we haven't been to Disney in 4 years and now there is all this HP stuff at another park "like Disney, but it's not Disney." It's getting harder and harder not to just blurt out that we are going!!

We got our acceptance letters through WB/Noble.

http://www.harrypottershop.com/prod...hoglc.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

You will get your actual tix, etc once you check into your hotel. Registration will explain process.

Harry is part of Gryffindor, but if your girls have been sorted on Pottermore, I would find out what House (not team) they were sorted into.

If lanyard pocket is clear, you should be good.

Thanks for the link! Holy cow! One stop shopping there!
Now to see what Pottermore is...
Thanks!

You can ask them what house is their favorite house at Hogwarts, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Gryffindor (Harry Potters house). If they have been on Pottermore as noted above and been sorted into a house they will tell you.

You can include the shirt and lanyard that goes with their respective houses in with their acceptance letter.

Make sure to get the lanyard that has the plastic zip closure. Keeps tickets dry. Put ticket facing one window and Express pass on other side. All you will have to do is turn it to be scanned. It is easily scanned this way.

If you want to send their experience into the stratosphere the following suggestion will wow them.

In their letter of acceptance include a list of supplies needed for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Hagrid took Harry shopping for his supplies before he started school at Hogwarts. ex..house robe (they can purchase the robe of their selected house) at Madam Malkin's in Diagon Alley. Make sure they stand in front of the magic mirror in the store for the mirrors comment.

Attend the show at Ollivanders wand show In Diagon Alley and hopefully they will get picked for the show. Get their interactive wands at Ollivanders wand shop. They can choose the wand of the character they like. The wand includes maps to all the interactive magic sites in both parks. These are also marked by metal medallions on the ground in front of the sites in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

Take them to Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade for a meal and The Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley for a meal.

Frozen butterbeer at the Hogs Head pub in Hogsmeade.

They can purchase a stuffed animal at the Magical Menagerie in Diagon Alley.

They have started selling cute charms for necklaces that are nice keepsakes.

A chocolate frog (has a wizard picture inside) and a box of every flavor jelly beans.

They can also purchase their house shirts there.

Have a great time.

Your girls will be absolutely thrilled with whatever you plan to surprise them with.

Last edited:

T-Shirts - I found some on Amazon that I thought were cute, but since I don't know enough about each of the different teams, which one is "cool" for a 12 or 11 yo girl?

Don't just choose. Ask. I'm surprised you don't know already!

You can ask them what house is there favorite house at Hogwarts, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Gryffindor (Harry Potters house).

Yep.

Hint: doing ALL of what robo mentioned will get expensive. :)

I'd personally just give a gift card with the letter. It's so much cooler to pick exclusive stuff out at the park, imo.

All the items I mentioned above could be purchased for about
$ 290.00 per child. That's including taxes.

That's the price of some handbags.

You all are great!! Unfortunately my Money Tree in the backyard has been lacking! But I love the gift card idea for when we get there! I will have to somehow, casually bring up what their favorite house / team is. I am going to stick with the letter, one t-shirt, lanyard, and then the gift card. Thanks a bunch!

My suggestion:

Save money for a wand and try to get them chosen.
Do go for the interactive wands. Then they can practice spells in the park- fun! We had grandparents chip in for that $50 souvenir.

We went through the show 3 times and not picked. No biggie. :)

Wands are a must. Personally I don't think the ollivander 'show' is worth the wait, and as said, if picked, you don't get the wand for free.

If you can't establish their favorite Houses, then purchase "Hogwarts" stuff for the big reveal. Can't go wrong with Hogwarts.

All the items I mentioned above could be purchased for about
$ 290.00 per child. That's including taxes.

That's the price of some handbags.

Not *my* handbags. :)

I wasn't saying to not get the things. After all, between hubby and son we have 6 or 7 wands (one or two each are interactive), ds has robes, an owl, Scabbers (renamed Max). We have house tie lanyards. Etc.

But those were purchased over time and with knowledge of the expense. Not in one trip. :)

So the OP needs to make sure those things are in her budget, that's for sure. And I would wait for most of it until they are there. Since she doesn't know what houses the girls identify with I would back off from any prepurchases, even Hogwarts stuff. Because if the girls want house-specific items, the budget has been watered down with those purchases. At least that's how it would work in my household.

My 11 DD loves going to Hot Topic and she picked out two of her house shirts there (and bracelets). There usually have sales. We saved our money for the kids wands and my DD to get her house robe for her bday present. Have fun!

That website for the acceptance letter is great! When reading the reviews it said it does not include the supplies list, any idea where I could get one of those too? Thanks!

You all are great!! Unfortunately my Money Tree in the backyard has been lacking! But I love the gift card idea for when we get there! I will have to somehow, casually bring up what their favorite house / team is. I am going to stick with the letter, one t-shirt, lanyard, and then the gift card. Thanks a bunch!

You didn't say how soon you were going, but if you still have a month or two, you can get lovely Harry Potter items on Ebay for dirt cheap if you're willing to wait at least a month to get them from China. Here's how:

Go to Ebay and put "Harry Potter" as a search term and "All Categories" and then once the bazillion results came up, change the setting on the upper right from "Best Match" to "Priced Lowest To High".

I have gotten MANY very cool items this way: Harry Potter ties and patches for cosplay, little stuffed Harry Potter keychains and Lego mini figs, Harry Potter magnets, and most of all, Harry Potter jewelry! :genie: Each thing has cost less than $4 with free shipping, with most costing less than $1! :love:

I have purchased several time turner necklaces(book 3), a SPEW necklace (book 4), a Slytherin-like snake bracelet, a Dumbledore's Army necklace (book 5), an amazing cord and charm Harry Potter bracelet, a Deathly Hallows necklace (book 7) and even a Resurrection Stone ring (book 6).

If you don't mind waiting a month or so for your item to arrive from China, it's well worth it to check these type of auctions out. Every single thing I've gotten as been terrific quality. Here's a Platform 9 3/4 necklace that I swear cost 60 cents, including shipping:
Platform 9.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter