"High School Musical 4" Returns to Television

CoolTrainerTerry

DIS Veteran
From WorstPreviews.com

The fourth installment of "High School Musical" will return the franchise back to where it started: the Disney Channel. Featuring a new cast, the "High School Musical 4" telepic is scheduled to begin production later this year and premiere on Disney Channel in 2010.

Peter Barsocchini, who penned the first three installments, returns as screenwriter. Bill Borden and Barry Rosenbush are also back as executive producers. Disney Channel did not say whether Kenny Ortega would return as director.

"High School Musical 3: Senior Year," helmed by Ortega, took in nearly $250 million last year in worldwide theatrical release. Several of the cast members are now starring in Hollywood films.

As if we couldn't have guessed. Shocking, ain't it?

I'm not surprised that there is a 4th installment -- the 3rd pretty much set that up to happen. I am surprised it is going to premiere on TV -- I can't imagine the revenues are bigger there. :confused3

Ugh, I see this one tanking. My family loved the first last 3 and it was really the end of it for us with this last one. I could see how they were trying to set it up with some of those characters but I can't see those characters being able to take over the franchise. Let it go and start something else.

The decision to take it back to TV seems obvious to me. I think Disney is following the same strategy as it did with the first three films. It'll test the new characters in a TV movie first. If they catch on, they'll make their way back to the big screen. :)

I thought they were done?
rolleyes.gif

Just watch and see.. they'll have a whole TV show of it someday..
rolleyes.gif

:headache:

I can see it now, High School Musical: The Series.
And eventually, High School Musical: The Animated Series.

I enjoyed the 3rd installment. But what will Disney really gain from this? More merchandising revenue? This franchise is going to be like Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney keeps making movies of these series, people still go to watch them even as the quality declines. I'm rather mad that they didn't end the HSM saga with Senior Year.

^ITA. Why couldn't they just left it at those three movies? I don't like this one bit.

My DD is a big fan. Sort of feel bad, though, that they're probably going to take the fun out of it for her.

I wish they'd just let it go. It had a great run and it's done. It wouldn't be the same without the main characters anyway.

The set-up for a new installment did not excite me. Those characters were no replacement for the current cast.

Personally, I was never a huge fan of HSM. I liked the first one, but it's gotten way too much hype, in my opinion. "You can't beat pigs with pigs." Why can't Disney let it go?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter