HHI vs VB? Trying to decide which to try

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I am looking for some insight with respect to Vero Beach vs Hilton Head resorts. Which ash the nicer beach? Do they both/either have chairs/umbrellas at the beach? For HHI, how often does the shuttle run?

What is there to do around either when there is no sun or we have had enough beach? How is dining in the area?

Any good websites specific to those resorts?

Considering a trip to one of them in October.

All info greatly appreciated!

---Paul in Southern NJ

We like HHI much better. The beach is wider and not as steep. The shuttle runs about every 30 minutes I believe. The plus for VB is that it's right on the beach. Many more dining options close to the HHI resort also!

We've visited both several times each and really enjoyed them, though the vacation experience is very different from one to the other. I'm sure it's personal preference, but, to us:

Both have beach equipment rentals and beautiful beaches that stretch for miles. HH has a more level beach. At VB you're right on the beach (especially if you rent a beach cottage) and at HH you might have a view of the marsh from your villa but you need to take the shuttle that runs every 30 minutes or walk a couple miles to get to the beach house. The pool at VB feels larger.

VB resort is not close to much of anything (20 minute drive to restaurants downtown), more peaceful, and has more space overall, especially including the recreation area across the street. HH is right in the middle of things and feels a lot smaller but the villas are in smaller buildings and are more spaced out. Parking can be tight at HH.

We think the biking at HH is treacherous with all the traffic there, it's nice at VB but the number of potential bike routes is more limited.

The picnic spots and grills are limited at VB (at the north end near the campfire pit) and don't have a view. But, there are several public picnic spots on the islands on the Indian River that are right on the water and have really nice views, only a 2 minute drive from the VB resort. The picnic spots at HH are more plentiful and scattered about and most have a nice view of the marsh.

I don't have recent activity lists of both to factually compare, but, it felt like there were more activities offered at VB.

And finally, both have Dole Whips :yay:, though HH has them only at the beach house.

You should have a great time at either resort. Have fun choosing and have fun on the trip!

We have not stayed at VB but have stayed at a similar type resort for a beach trip. We also just stayed at HHI in May. It really comes down to whether you want a more isolated beach vacation or not. While we loved the beauty and privacy of the first resort, we found that the amenities that were just 5 -10 minutes away were better for our family. HH offers so much and it was so close by, but you do lose a bit of the beauty and privacy by doing that.

HHI has a lot to do nearby. We don't mind the quick drive over to the beach house and can even bike over there. Hilton Head is one of my favorite places. It has everything you can want but it's not all built up and commercialized like other beach places (like OC MD for example). Can play putt putt (or golf for real), do fishing charter, paddleboard, kayak...they have a nice pool at resort side and one at beach side. They have food counters at both pools. The 3BR GV have wood burning fireplaces and they will provide free wood. The staff there is fantastic and friendly and helpful. We enjoy playing shuffleboard and cornhole all over the resort (they also have horseshoes and table tennis and table soccer). One negative is the parking is very tight. Another is the walls are thin so I advise you request top floor (but keep in mind only elevators are in main buildings where only 1BR and studios bookings are).

Vero is nice and will be warmer in Oct (but HOT sun in summer...my DS got bad sunburn there on an Aug trip several years ago). But it's pretty remote. There is a restaurant, counter and oceanfront bar/pub at resort but not much else around the resort. It's very 'natural' and you drive into town (about 12-15 minutes) to get to grocery and dining. There are no lights or walking the beach at night due to turtles nesting. The place shuts down and becomes a ghost town. We were there 4 nights before going to Universal for 2 nights. Honestly, 3 nights is enough and is nice to add on to something else like Universal or a cruise. You cannot see ocean from villas (can from OV inn rooms and get sliver of a view from top floor villas...on tippy toes at railing of balcony...I suppose good views from the 3BR cottages but never stayed in one though watched UTube reviews).

I would vote HHI every time. Just a place we adore. Vero, to me, is a good 2-3 night add on to another vacation. We hope to do that again soon.

We have been to both, always travel toward the end of May, so crowding was not an issue at either resort, however, starting in June for summer months, I would say that Hilton Head Island becomes more crowded than Vero would. If you are going in October, shouldn't be an issue. If going toward end of October, would think Vero would be warmer. Have been to Vero, three times I think and HH, once. Many more restaurants in HH to choose from, which are more convenient imo. Depending on time of year of October, snow birds could start flocking to Vero, whereas HH would probably be more quiet. We stayed a week in HH, had great choice of restaurants, enjoyed biking to beach, did ZipLining, did jet skis at Lighthouse also. We have only stayed a maximum of 4 nights at Vero, for us and our 2 older sons, Vero would be "too slow" for a weeks vacation. We usually combine Vero with either Fort Lauderdale, which we enjoy or the parks for a few days, then head to Vero for a "wind down" from the parks. We rode bikes at Vero also, found good restaurants, but the drive is longer to get to restaurants. Vero is certainly a lovely resort, but much quieter. IMO, if you are doing a weeks vacation, would definitely do HHI. Both are lovely so enjoy whatever you decide! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

We're looking HHI next March...it would be our spring break trip. How exactly do you get to the beach? Can we take our own vehicle?

We're looking HHI next March...it would be our spring break trip. How exactly do you get to the beach? Can we take our own vehicle?

You can drive your car, but the parking is limited at the Beach House. You can also take the shuttle from the front of the resort. You can also rent bikes and ride over. We did all three the week we stayed there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter