HHI - Crab Cakes

gracelrm

<font color=teal>Wow - you learn something new eve
We'll be at HH DVC in 28 days ( not that I'm counting down the days!!!!) and want to know who has the best crab cakes. I love crab cakes and we'll probably only be going out to nice restaurants twice while we're there - I want the best crab cakes I can get while I'm there. Any advice?

Funny you should ask this question. We were at HH in July and my dd age 12 ate crab cakes every night. In her opinion the best crab cakes she had was in shelter cove harbor at the Ocean Grill and her second choice was at the crazy crab. Enjoy your crab cakes.:drinking: :drinking: :stitch: :cat: :dogdance: :coffee: :welcome: :figment:

The BEST crab cakes are the ones that Chef Gordon used to make for "A Private Affair". Unfortunately, that program is no longer offered, so you can't get them any more. :sad1: Gordon was nice enough to share his recipe, however, and we often buy crab meat on the island and make our own. (Yes, we make them at home sometimes too, but they taste better in Hilton Head! :rotfl2: )

Let me know if you want the recipe. :ssst:

We just got back from HH and had crab cakes twice. The first time was at Old Oyster Factory and they were delicious. The second time was at Scotts. The ones at Scotts were delicious also and IMO better than Old Oyster Factory BUT they were not on the regular menu, they were a special.

Some other seafood recommendations - try the Captains Kettle at Wreck of the Salty Dog and the Seafood Pot Pie at Salty Dog Cafe. Both were outstanding. DW and I were talking on the way home and feel like we had better seafood over the last week than we've had in a very long time.

Scotts, Crazy Crab, Old Oyster Factory....the three places we HAVE to go when we're there! All have good crabcakes!

And if Scotts has SheCrab soup like it did last time we went, have some of that. It is a South Carolina thing, and is absolutely delicious! Scotts does a good job, in fact my DS said it was the best he's had...and he's had a lot!

(OK, for all of you picky people, I know they can't actually make REAL she-crab soup...some sort of endangered something-or-other...but they still make a pretty mean substitute!)

If you don't mind driving, come over to Savannah, go to Tybee Island, and have the crabcakes at the North Beach Grill. My wife loves crabcakes and says they are the best in the universe. There is also the River House on River st. here in town that she gives the thrumbs up to.

Me? I don't eat seafood.

Although I can't remember where we got crab cakes, DH had a crab cake sandwich for lunch at the Salty Dog Cafe in Sea Pines that he's still raving about.

(OK, for all of you picky people, I know they can't actually make REAL she-crab soup...some sort of endangered something-or-other...but they still make a pretty mean substitute!)

They can too make real she-crab soup! Supposedly the meat in the females is sweeter, but it's debatable whether you are getting a "true" she-crab or just a fresh crab mix at a large restaurant. The only prohibition to harvesting the she-crabs is the egg sack...if she is carrying one then the crab has to be returned to the ocean.

They can too make real she-crab soup! Supposedly the meat in the females is sweeter, but it's debatable whether you are getting a "true" she-crab or just a fresh crab mix at a large restaurant. The only prohibition to harvesting the she-crabs is the egg sack...if she is carrying one then the crab has to be returned to the ocean.

OK, I'll defer to the real expert.:goodvibes Either way, he-crab, she-crab, they-crab, the stuff is delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter