Hey guys! I wanted to share my story about being stuck in Disney during Irma!

Tonyz

How do ya do? Pretty good, sure as you're born!
I stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge during Hurricane Irma and just want to share my experience. I originally was planning on leaving early on Saturday to avoid the hurricane. I love Disney World, but when the potential “storm of the century” is coming, it’s time for me to go. So everything was all well and good until Friday morning when I get a text that says my flight is canceled. So I started to panic and scramble. I called every airline that flies out of Orlando for a flight. I didn’t care about going home, I just wanted to get away from this storm! Nothing. Nada. Not a single flight was available to anywhere.

So then I realize that I’m going to be stuck in Florida for what is being hyped as maybe the most devastating storm to every hit the state. And hey, the eye looks like it’ll go right over Orlando! What a great end to a Disney trip…

I was resort hopping this trip, three nights at The Poly and then two nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I was still scheduled to stay there until Sunday night, so my hope was to try and book two more nights. Because the only way I could see saving this trip and riding this thing out was to do it on Disney property. Luckily, I’m able to keep my hotel room for two more nights (and at a 40% discount). Thank the Tiki gods! I bring my stuff to the room, grab some water and food from the gift shop and get ready.

Disney in a hurricane. The stuff of legend. This would be a test. I had faith that Disney would rise to the occasion, but I couldn’t help but remember last year’s “wait in line for an hour to pay 20 bucks for a cheese sandwich” debacle. Matthew was a practice round.

Bring it, Irma.

Riding out that hurricane in Animal Kingdom Lodge ended up being one of the best experiences of my life, because it completely reinforced everything I love about this place and these people.

Now before I go forward, I want to issue a disclaimer. We got lucky. Everyone knows it. Irma stalled in Cuba and came out much weaker than expected. This could have been bad… very bad. So I don’t want people to think that since we got lucky with this storm and had a great time during it that means every hurricane will be like this. One day the big one might hit, and it won’t be fun and games.

Sunday morning we were giving information on what to expect for the new two days. There would be a channel that played nothing but Disney movies if you didn’t want to leave your room (I watched Beauty and the Beast and Mulan for the first times ever). There would be activities every hour in the lobby, concluding with a screening of Aladdin at 8:30 that night. The gift shop would be open. The Mara would be open. Boma would be open… and only 20 bucks! Housekeeping would not be happening, but we were given extra towels, toilet paper, coffee and a flashlight.

The whole day there were good vibes throughout the place, even with a massive storm right around the corner. Kids were singing in the hallways as they rushed down to the lobby to meet Rafiki. There was face painting and drum circles, trivia and games. The best was watching the dance parties the cast members would have. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched kids and parents do the YMCA with the cast members and Safari Goofy, or sing You’re Welcome with Rafiki. Later in the day Goofy would lead a dog parade through the lobby (people were allowed to bring their pets which was awesome on Disney’s part), and with the storm starting to pick up around 8:00 PM, kids were still in the lobby singing Let It Go. It could have been a very scary experience for these kids, but the cast members turned it into a party.

So Irma hits Sunday night. I slept through it. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a fortress. If you didn’t know it was a hurricane, you would have just assumed it was a bad storm. And (of course) we never lost power.

The morning after it hits, it was basically business as usual for the resort. I went down to The Mara at about 8 in the morning and kids were already in the lobby playing games with the cast members. The pathway to The Mara was currently being cleaned so we were taken through the backway that the cast members use. A couple hours later everything was cleaned up and you were free to go outside to The Mara or walk the pathways in the savannah. Safari Mickey made an appearance in the lobby and led another dance party. Later that day Minnie made an appearance too. Boma was open and delicious as ever. And at 20 bucks it felt like stealing.

That night as the activities were winding down and the movie in the lobby was starting, I went around to get some of the names of the cast members who had been there for both days so I could write to guest services about them. I thanked every one of them that I talked to. One of the cast members told me that ending these two days was like saying goodbye to all her friends at summer camp.

Never tell me ever again how guest service has gotten poor.

Every single cast member was incredible the entire time. From management to Mouse-keeping to The Mara to the gift shop, everyone was top notch. This could have been scary, this could have been boring. This could have been a mess and a chance for Disney to price gouge. But they stepped up, and not only did they prevent it from being a bad experience… but they actually made it a great experience. In the end, I was actually thankful my flight out got canceled.

This is what Walt wanted… this is how he wanted his employees to treat the guests. In the most stressful time for WDW in over a decade, Disney proved that they’re still the best in the business when it comes to customer service. Bravo… and thank you.

-------------------------
Oh and best part of the trip... I MET CRAIG!! Highlight of my life!

Last edited:
Wow, Tony. I knew you had been there just prior, but since we didn't hear ftom you, I assumed you were just busy. Had no IDEA you rode it out there. Thank goodness you're okay.

Also - thank you SO much for posting your message with all its positivity. I was smiling the whole way through reading it. And on top of reaffirming my belief in "the good side of Disney", and wonderful, guest-service-centric CM's, I just need to feel some positivity, and you have given me that, in spades.

So - glad you're okay, had a "lemonade out of lemons" experirence, and took the time to share it with all of us. HUGS!!!

Last edited:
I have been through a tornado, an earthquake, a flash flood, had to evacuate due to the possibility of a fire changing direction at summer camp as a teen, plus numerous severe thunderstorms and every sort of winter storm-blizzard, ice, ect that you could ever think of and then some. I have never been through a hurricane but if I ever have to go through one I would want it to be at Disney

Thank you for your story! I helps renew my faith in humanity. I wish I had been there! Road out the storm in Kissimmee, and didn't sleep at all.

Thanks for sharing Tonyband glad it went as well as it could - when the do it right still nobody is as good as Disney

:love:
I stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge during Hurricane Irma and just want to share my experience. I originally was planning on leaving early on Saturday to avoid the hurricane. I love Disney World, but when the potential “storm of the century” is coming, it’s time for me to go. So everything was all well and good until Friday morning when I get a text that says my flight is canceled. So I started to panic and scramble. I called every airline that flies out of Orlando for a flight. I didn’t care about going home, I just wanted to get away from this storm! Nothing. Nada. Not a single flight was available to anywhere.

So then I realize that I’m going to be stuck in Florida for what is being hyped as maybe the most devastating storm to every hit the state. And hey, the eye looks like it’ll go right over Orlando! What a great end to a Disney trip…

I was resort hopping this trip, three nights at The Poly and then two nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I was still scheduled to stay there until Sunday night, so my hope was to try and book two more nights. Because the only way I could see saving this trip and riding this thing out was to do it on Disney property. Luckily, I’m able to keep my hotel room for two more nights (and at a 40% discount). Thank the Tiki gods! I bring my stuff to the room, grab some water and food from the gift shop and get ready.

Disney in a hurricane. The stuff of legend. This would be a test. I had faith that Disney would rise to the occasion, but I couldn’t help but remember last year’s “wait in line for an hour to pay 20 bucks for a cheese sandwich” debacle. Matthew was a practice round.

Bring it, Irma.

Riding out that hurricane in Animal Kingdom Lodge ended up being one of the best experiences of my life, because it completely reinforced everything I love about this place and these people.

Now before I go forward, I want to issue a disclaimer. We got lucky. Everyone knows it. Irma stalled in Cuba and came out much weaker than expected. This could have been bad… very bad. So I don’t want people to think that since we got lucky with this storm and had a great time during it that means every hurricane will be like this. One day the big one might hit, and it won’t be fun and games.

Sunday morning we were giving information on what to expect for the new two days. There would be a channel that played nothing but Disney movies if you didn’t want to leave your room (I watched Beauty and the Beast and Mulan for the first times ever). There would be activities every hour in the lobby, concluding with a screening of Aladdin at 8:30 that night. The gift shop would be open. The Mara would be open. Boma would be open… and only 20 bucks! Housekeeping would not be happening, but we were given extra towels, toilet paper, coffee and a flashlight.

The whole day there were good vibes throughout the place, even with a massive storm right around the corner. Kids were singing in the hallways as they rushed down to the lobby to meet Rafiki. There was face painting and drum circles, trivia and games. The best was watching the dance parties the cast members would have. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched kids and parents do the YMCA with the cast members and Safari Goofy, or sing You’re Welcome with Rafiki. Later in the day Goofy would lead a dog parade through the lobby (people were allowed to bring their pets which was awesome on Disney’s part), and with the storm starting to pick up around 8:00 PM, kids were still in the lobby singing Let It Go. It could have been a very scary experience for these kids, but the cast members turned it into a party.

So Irma hits Sunday night. I slept through it. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a fortress. If you didn’t know it was a hurricane, you would have just assumed it was a bad storm. And (of course) we never lost power.

The morning after it hits, it was basically business as usual for the resort. I went down to The Mara at about 8 in the morning and kids were already in the lobby playing games with the cast members. The pathway to The Mara was currently being cleaned so we were taken through the backway that the cast members use. A couple hours later everything was cleaned up and you were free to go outside to The Mara or walk the pathways in the savannah. Safari Mickey made an appearance in the lobby and led another dance party. Later that day Minnie made an appearance too. Boma was open and delicious as ever. And at 20 bucks it felt like stealing.

That night as the activities were winding down and the movie in the lobby was starting, I went around to get some of the names of the cast members who had been there for both days so I could write to guest services about them. I thanked every one of them that I talked to. One of the cast members told me that ending these two days was like saying goodbye to all her friends at summer camp.

Never tell me ever again how guest service has gotten poor.

Every single cast member was incredible the entire time. From management to Mouse-keeping to The Mara to the gift shop, everyone was top notch. This could have been scary, this could have been boring. This could have been a mess and a chance for Disney to price gouge. But they stepped up, and not only did they prevent it from being a bad experience… but they actually made it a great experience. In the end, I was actually thankful my flight out got canceled.

This is what Walt wanted… this is how he wanted his employees to treat the guests. In the most stressful time for WDW in over a decade, Disney proved that they’re still the best in the business when it comes to customer service. Bravo… and thank you.

-------------------------
Oh and best part of the trip... I MET CRAIG!! Highlight of my life!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It made me tear up a bit thinking how Disney made such magic for everyone there. Knowing my home away from home is as hospitable as my home (Houston) warms my heart.:love:

AND you got to meet Craig?!! Only thing better would have been meeting Ryno too!

Thank you for sharing your story, Tony. I am glad you are safe.

I thought as I read it, no mention that those cast members had homes and families affected by the storm as well. Goes to the character of the cast members that all you had to write about was a fun and positivity and sense of community they provided during the event.

Happy to know you are not only safe, but that you had such a positive experience. Including your account and those of friends who weathered the storm in Art of Animation, Boardwalk Inn, the Poly (and even at Portofino Bay at Universal where several friends rode out Irma) ... it sounds like everybody was well sorted by the cast members and staff at all the resorts.

Wow <3 Just wow. Thank you so much for sharing. When people ask me, "Are you going to Disney AGAIN!?" I will share your story as one reason why

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter