Hershey Park???

MrsMud

<font color=green>Thinks the Ghostbuster wearing t
We are heading down to Lancaster, PA for Mother's Day weekend. We had originally thought of going to Dutch Wonderland since it is only a couple minutes away, but from what I have read, it would be worth the trip and extra money to go to Hershey instead. It will be Me, DH, and 2 Dds, 5 and 7. We have never been to Hershey Park before. I see that they have quite a few water rides which I assume won't be open, and also a few roller coasters which DH and I would love to try, but won't be able to do with the kids. So apart from that, are there a lot of fun family type rides? Also it will be the season grand opening, should I expect it to be very crowded? We are visiting the park on Mother's Day (Sunday). Thanks for any imput;)

Actually, considering the ages of your children Dutch Wonderland would be better choice. I've always felt that they were geared towards younger kids. Not that I'm against HersheyPark, mind you, there is plenty to do, and lots more to do and see. Since the water rides are within the park and not a separate park, they should be open. Have you been to their websites? Hershey will be open 4 hours longer that Dutch Wonderland that, the first, weekend of the season. Either way, you're sure to have a great time.

www.hersheypa.com
www.dutchwonderland.com

Your family will love Hershey park. I was there this past summer, and the summer before that. Its is wonderful. You can expect a big crowd, though. We went on normal weekends in July i think (it was REALLY hot) and I was very crowed, but that was i'm sure partly due to Rod Stewart in concert that weekend. The rollorcoasters are great! The Great Bear is definately the BEST (in my opinion anyway) and all the other coasters are great too. The water rides are pretty good, but it wont be awful to miss them. Their newest water attraction (which is some sort of water rollorcoaster) always has LONG lines, and was not very exciting anyway. There are some very good family rides, including one slow rollorcoaster (which we brought my 4 yo brother on and he liked it) and many other types. Sorry i cant base this on any comparrison, though. I've never heard of Dutch Wonderland. You will have a good time at Hershey.

Hi
We've been to Hershey 3 times starting when my DD was 18mos(now 5) and Ds was 5 (now 8). Next to WDW that is their favorite place to go. There is a mild upside down coaster the Super Duper Luper that my Ds was able to ride on at age 5. (he's average height). What is nice is that "family" rides are spread out through the park,so you can see the whole thing. also take the chocolate world tour(it;s free) It's cars you sit and ride in and they show you how they make chocolate. you get a free Hershey bar at the end.Like others said try the web site. I don't think it will be too crowded since schools don't let out till mid June.....

Hey, we'll be there the Saturday of Mother's Day Weekend!:bounce: They are holding middle school chorus competiton there that day and my DD is in it. :) We're taking the whole family down for the day!!

The best coaster at Hershey Park is Lightning Racer. I rode Thunder and Lightning 9 times each. The Comet and the Superdooperlooper are good classic rides. Great Bear is good, but not the best B&M.

FYI, the Travel Channel is running a show on Hershey Park right now!

Personally I prefer Hershey Park over Dutch Wonderland. To me Dutch Wonderland is for the 5 and UNDER set. My son ( a thrill ride nut) got bored quickly at DW.

But Hershey is fun... the Chocolate World tour is fun, same with some rides. There are some decent coasters, like Comet, and Sooperdooperlooper.... (my then four year old went on both of them!)

Roller Soaker is a fantastic ride, but you will get soaked. Lightning Racer is a very decent wooden coaster (my favorite kind).

As for kiddie flat rides, there are tons of those as well.

Hershey is really fun - there is something for everyone there. And definitely make sure to take the Chocolate World tour - it's really cute.

Hershey park is really a nice park. If you get bored, you can do what others have sugeested. Go to Chocolate World. By the way, chocolate world now has a 3D movie that is absolutely adorable. What's cuter than dancing hershey kisses?

I've heard the streets at Hershey's smell like chocolate.:) I've always wondered if that was true or not.:)

Years ago I went to Hershey Park with camp and I remember being stopped to take a Hershey bar taste test. I had to try little pieces to see which is better and being told to drink water between each sample. It was pretty cool and they gave us a free chocolate bar! Then we went on the chocolate tour and got more free chocolate, I gave mine away because it was just way too much chocolate. Do they still have the taste test?

There is also Zoo America that is part of Hershey Park. It is a nice way to get away from it all. Many times, Giant food stores have discounted tickets....just read the fine print for any black out dates.

Karen

Thanks for all the replies. I am REALLy hoping for nice weather, as that's the only day we can go.
Many times, Giant food stores have discounted tickets....just read the fine print for any black out dates.
Sadly, we don't have Giant Food stores where we live. Does anyone know of anywhere else I might find discounts? Thanks again!:D

well, there may be a Giant food store on the way... depending on where you are driving from. Also Martins is the same store as well.

I think the website is www.giantpa.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter