Help with Scrappers

jazzyfizzle

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

I'm pretty new at pin trading, and I heard Instagram trading is actually a pretty big thing. I bought some pins and i think they might be scrappers...can someone take a look at them? Pic's to compare would also be appreciated so I can see what reals ones look like! Thank you so much in advance.

The top pin (the rainbow Mickey) is most likely a scrapper because the paint is not smooth and flat. From the picture, it looks like the red, orange, and yellow stripes within the ear are indented, which is usually a sign of a scrapper. You can find a photo at pinpics.com.

Nothing about the cupcake pins jump out at me as being obviously scrappers from the photos. The colors look a little darker than the images in pinpics.com, but that could be due to the camera lighting and/or photo processing.
Goofy: http://www.pinpics.com/pinMT.php?pin=82951&pinno=82951&keyw=
Minnie: http://www.pinpics.com/pinMT.php?pin=82949&pinno=82949&keyw=
Pluto: http://www.pinpics.com/pinMT.php?pin=82952&pinno=82952&keyw=

Judging for the back of the pins I'd say the Cupcake Goofy and Cupcake Ploto are fake.

Cut and paste from ****************.com

The edges of a pin can tell a person a lot. Fake pins often have rough cut edges that are caused by the quick work and shoddy workmanship put into each pin. A fake may also be a bit too thin, and feel too light. Obviously each pin’s weight varies from pin to pin based on size, but if one large pin clearly weighs less than a smaller, less exciting pin, it’s probably fake.

Because of the enormity of the Disney Pin Trading program, there really is a pin for everyone. Kids love to trade pins and often don’t care if a pin is real or not. It’s all a matter of perspective. If your kids are in it for the fun of the game, let them trade with impunity. If you’re a serious adult collector, however, and want to keep your collection authentic or perhaps even make some money on eBay from a rare and valuable find, these tricks will help you avoid the counterfeits and keep your collection clean.

http://www.****************.com/features/20140526/18214/7-ways-tell-if-disney-pin-genuine?page=1

Adding on to what Stan Solo said, I think another problem is that the backstamp is missing parts of it on the Goofy pin and looks very lightly embossed on the Pluto pin. The backstamp, that says "Authentic Official" at the top should be clean and clearly visible.

This is not 100%, because sometimes poor quality pins make it into the stores and mystery packs, but this should help:

• Jagged Edges
• Outside of edges not cut clean
• Lines in surface of pin
• Dull/matte finish
• Coloring is very bright and very glossy
• Dips in surface of pin
• Incorrect coloring
• Uneven coloring
• Back of pin is very hard to read
• Pin colors have yellowing or too much green, which are clearly not something yellow or green
o This is faces, grey-scales, light blues, etc.
o Pluto has a green tint o Goofy has a green or yellow tint

• Incorrect coloring
• Pin feels very light
• Pins from 2012 and forward should have serial numbers
• Should have prongs on back
• Small holes (pin holes) in surface of pins
• Mickey heads do not run off back
• **Most Hidden Mickey and Cast Lanyard Pins Have Been Scrapped
o Mickey Ears are not defined on Hidden Mickey series pins

I pin trade a lot. Out of all those I would think the top one and the minnie cupcake were fine. The goofy and Pluto cupcake look like scrappers. If you look at the Minnie cupcake the Mickey printed stamps on the back go all the way to the edge. On the other two the print seems to have a thin boarder around it. And just because the pin isn't perfect doesn't mean it's not real. I've seen some pretty terrible looking pins being sold at Disney.

Again I am no pro. I just pin trade a lot and if I were to come across those pins that would be what I thought of them. :)

So, I have one of the same questions... are the reals typically matte finish or glossy? The matte finish tends to be smooth across the surface. The glossy tend to have raised lines and sunken colors (I hope that makes sense). Thx. Liz

So, I have one of the same questions... are the reals typically matte finish or glossy? The matte finish tends to be smooth across the surface. The glossy tend to have raised lines and sunken colors (I hope that makes sense). Thx. Liz
I've seen glossy pins that you can buy from the store (which I assume are legit because you're buying them from Disney directly - either at the parks or the Disney Stores), but when you say "raised lines and sunken colors" that sounds more like a scrapper/fake to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts