Help us decide on Aulani vs Waikiki

I may be in the minority, but Aulani feels like a Hawaiian themed Disney resort that may or not be in Hawaii. If it were the only place I'd ever visited in Hawaii, I wouldn't be that impressed with Hawaii. I mean it's a great resort and we're going back for our second visit but only because I have a conference in Waikiki (making us spend time in Oahu instead of annother island), we have DVC points to use, AND my five small kids love the pool and kids club.
I'm not a huge fan of Waikiki either. It's fun to explore and experience for a few days, but the real feel of Hawaii and perfect place to relax to me is Maui. Driving and hiking to secluded wonders and relaxing on amazing beaches with great snorkeling.
If you're using Aulani as a comfortable home base and plan to explore Oahu a lot, then it will be nice (but maybe more loud and crowded than you'd like.) It's a great resort especially for families with young children, but IMO Ko'Olina is too secluded (although I hear building up) and the beach is a man made lagoon making it more like a swimming pool. Perhaps it's better as it ages? It's been five years since we've been there.

7 days? Do you really want to stay on one island? How about going on POA cruise for a week and then check out Aulani for a few days. Just be aware that NCL is not DCL.

7D_HI_Hon_Hon-041816-c.gif

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruises/7...s&itineraryCode=PRIDE_AMER7HNLOGGITOKOANWKHNL

I've lived on Oahu, and would not let kids go on the bus alone. Waikiki is touristy, but also, sadly, very, very high crime.

That being said, you could also look at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club next door. Their 2 bedroom villas sleep 8, and are quite large! They rent for much less than Aulani, and the property is very spread out, unlike Aulani which is more concentrated (we've walked around Aulani, and thought the pool chairs were really close to one another and there were none free).

I'm just offering another option.

I agree that Aulani could be in Disneyworld or Disneyland. It is cute and fun, but you are paying a premium for the Disney characters and things for very young children.

We used to stay in Waikiki often, even when we lived on Oahu for a staycation. It is very busy, and slow traffic, and now when we go back "home" we don't even go there much if at all. It's loud on the weekends, and not my style.

Good luck deciding!

7 days? Do you really want to stay on one island? How about going on POA cruise for a week and then check out Aulani for a few days. Just be aware that NCL is not DCL

I've lived on one island for 4 years and I'm still learning things about my adoptive home. lol Beaches I didn't know about, local grindz hiding in random places, or even that the Punahou Carnival is the place to be. It's not like the Caribbean or one of those other places where a day or two on each island is fine. I find that people who go to many islands in a short amount of time really don't see much. It's just more for the privledge of saying they touched down on each one.

I've lived on one island for 4 years and I'm still learning things about my adoptive home. lol Beaches I didn't know about, local grindz hiding in random places, or even that the Punahou Carnival is the place to be. It's not like the Caribbean or one of those other places where a day or two on each island is fine. I find that people who go to many islands in a short amount of time really don't see much. It's just more for the privledge of saying they touched down on each one.

I've taken my kids back ten times now, and couldn't agree more! We go to Oahu for two weeks, and love it. I remember the first time I took them on the Atlantis sub that departs from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was so fun, and I never considered doing it when we lived there!

Next summer, DD and I are going two weeks ahead of the boys, so we'll be there a full month. She and I are going to go to the Big Island for just a few days (not long enough, but to see a childhood friend of mine who lives there and she wants to see volcanoes park).

I find that people who go to many islands in a short amount of time really don't see much. It's just more for the privledge of saying they touched down on each one.
That makes it sound a little snobby. I'm doing POA but not for bragging rights. I'm doing it in case I never get to Hawaii again, I've seen a bit of 4 very different islands. And if I do get to go back, I'll have a better idea of where I want to explore next.

Here we go again. Rule number one, there is no best way to do Hawaii. SO many options, everyone has their favorite. My next door neighbor goes to Maui every other year and loves it, I work with a guy who goes to Kauai 3 times a year and loves it, I have never been on the POA cruise but have talked to people who love it, I have never been to the big island but met someone who was devastated when Aloha canceled their Kona Orange county flight because they Love the big island. Its not like going to a typical island, its a group of very diverse islands. Just enjoy. The common this is the Aloha spirit, you are traveling to the safest place on earth, great weather, safe water and you do not have to change currency

That makes it sound a little snobby. I'm doing POA but not for bragging rights. I'm doing it in case I never get to Hawaii again, I've seen a bit of 4 very different islands. And if I do get to go back, I'll have a better idea of where I want to explore next.

Saying that your were privileged enough to do something and being snobby are not the same thing. It's very normal for people to be happy to give a sizeable list of places they've seen, things they've accomplished, etc. That does not make them snobs. I've worked with tourists at my side-gig, so I've met many people who went the cruise ship and did 1 or 2 days on each island and they were very pleased and proud. This is a non-issue for me.

My concern was seeing the question "do you really want to stay on one island" followed by a suggestion of an itinerary that quadruples the amount of islands in a 1 week time span. I took that as an implication that people who spend 7 days on one island not making the best use of their time. Essentially that quantity is better than quality, and that's for each traveler to decide. Obviously, I'm very much about quality. One of my side-jobs here in Hawaii was helping board guests onto their cruise ships bound for Australia, New Zealand, or another Hawaiian island. The Hawaiian island tour was run by NCL, so I have talk to over 100 families that took that route. Hearing their opinions actually one of the biggest influences in regards to my opinion on touchdown visits.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority, but Aulani feels like a Hawaiian themed Disney resort that may or not be in Hawaii. If it were the only place I'd ever visited in Hawaii, I wouldn't be that impressed with Hawaii.

Meant to also quote this with my previous post. I remember someone else saying this on the forum and I agree. You could stick Aulani pretty much anywhere that has tropical weather and it'd be the exact same experience minus having actual Hawaii locals working there. Of course, this only applies if you don't leave the resort. Once you're out, it's a different story. When I go to Aulani, it feels like one of their themed hotels you see around parks. It's kind of ironic to have a Hawaii themed resort located in Hawaii. It's genius, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter