Help please to train kitten, what do you do to keep off diningrm chairs & table

This worked for our dog. Would probably work for a cat too.

Buy some old fashioned snap type mousetraps. Set them and put them where you want them. Cover them
With a towel. When the cat jumps up the traps snap but don’t hurt the animal because they’re covered by the towel. The snap scares them. They jump off.

Our dog was 10 minthsbold when we got him. Wasn’t well trained to stay off furniture. We used this technique four times...twice on one couch and twice on the other.

He never jumped on the couches again.

We did get a 3 month old kitten a month ago and after keeping him in our daughter's room we have let him loose while we are downstairs now and want to make sure he doesn't go on the dining room chairs and table.

Do you have any tips to keep him off the dining room chairs, table and kitchen counters?

The only guaranteed way to keep him off the dining room chairs and table is to put them in the garage, and not let the kitten in the garage.

I'm a volunteer with a local cat rescue and Trap-Neuter-Return organization. The best results we see are when a water squirter/bottle is used. Don't shoot the cat in the face - anywhere on the body though would make them stop after a couple of times. This works in my house with cats and kittens we foster and with our own cats.

That probably works for normal cats, but I've got a couple of weirdos who LIKE being sprayed with water like that. They try to catch the water.

Update on our kitten going on the dining rm chairs....

I first posted about this on Jan 1st and I have been somewhat successful at keeping him off the dining rm chairs meaning I catch him sometimes on them but not often. I did pick up a super duper water bottle at Lowes and the spray reaches the kitten when I am on the couch all the way to the dining rm chair lol then he gets right off. So far I have not caught him on the dining rm table but maybe he can't get on there because the chairs are pushed in.

This worked for our dog. Would probably work for a cat too.

Buy some old fashioned snap type mousetraps. Set them and put them where you want them. Cover them
With a towel. When the cat jumps up the traps snap but don’t hurt the animal because they’re covered by the towel. The snap scares them. They jump off.

Our dog was 10 minthsbold when we got him. Wasn’t well trained to stay off furniture. We used this technique four times...twice on one couch and twice on the other.

He never jumped on the couches again.

Thank you DisneyDoll, I will tell my DH about the mousetraps and see if he wants to do this.

Regarding our dog, I think I got lucky with a dog that doesn't want to get in trouble because from the day we got him at 6 months old, I just had to tell him once not to go on the couch and not to go upstairs and he never does.

Update on our kitten going on the dining rm chairs....

I first posted about this on Jan 1st and I have been somewhat successful at keeping him off the dining rm chairs meaning I catch him sometimes on them but not often. I did pick up a super duper water bottle at Lowes and the spray reaches the kitten when I am on the couch all the way to the dining rm chair lol then he gets right off. So far I have not caught him on the dining rm table but maybe he can't get on there because the chairs are pushed in.

Probably when he gets bigger, he'll be a better jumper. When he's bigger, he likely won't need to use the chairs as an intermediate step to jump up on the table, he'll be able to bypass the chairs and jump straight from the floor to the table. My husband once got the bright idea that he could keep the cat in the hallway by putting one baby gate above the other one, creating a wall that was about 6 feet high. It kept the cat in the hallway for about a minute and half, until he decided that it wasn't too hard to jump that high right over the two baby gates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter