Help please to train kitten, what do you do to keep off diningrm chairs & table

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
We did get a 3 month old kitten a month ago and after keeping him in our daughter's room we have let him loose while we are downstairs now and want to make sure he doesn't go on the dining room chairs and table.

Do you have any tips to keep him off the dining room chairs, table and kitchen counters?

Last edited:
I recently got 2 new kittens and all I do is every single time they jump up on the table they are removed. They have figured out that they are not allowed to go up there because now when I walk over they will jump off. Of course they are still jumping up there :rolleyes1 but like my other cats before them they will eventually just stop going up there.
One of them has jumped up on the kitchen counter as I was cooking and I freaked out which scared the you know what out of him. He hasn't attempted to get up there since. His sister hasn't tried yet but I know she will and I will just do what I do when they get on the dining room table. I've been lucky with all my cats in the past where them getting on the table and counters wasn't a problem so I'm hoping the same goes for these two.

I'm a volunteer with a local cat rescue and Trap-Neuter-Return organization. The best results we see are when a water squirter/bottle is used. Don't shoot the cat in the face - anywhere on the body though would make them stop after a couple of times. This works in my house with cats and kittens we foster and with our own cats.

I think a spritz or two would work with most kitties!
You don't have to full-on squirt and soak them. See if you have, or can find, a bottle with a less direct spray.

And, yes, I think some of them are like the one mentioned... they are going to just give you 'that look' and nonchalantly go about doing whatever they are doing!
Hahahaha!!!!
(that might be where the water might help)

We gave up that fight long ago! :laughing: I figure no matter what I do when I'm home, they probably get up there when I'm not home - so I should just assume there are kitty prints on the table, wash it often, and always use plates instead of putting food directly on it. :goodvibes

I know a guy who bought a can of compressed air (for use on camera lenses) who says it's a great deterrent for kitties, and then you're not spraying water around your house.
I think Jackson Galaxy (My Cat From Hell) uses some sort of activity triggered canned air in cat training.

I lost that battle with my cat when I first brought her home. She was about a year old and a very willful tortie. She found a spot on the table. My only solution was to put a blanket up there for her so, yeah, she won that battle. Sorry I can't help much with tips.

I lost that battle with my cat when I first brought her home. She was about a year old and a very willful tortie. She found a spot on the table. My only solution was to put a blanket up there for her so, yeah, she won that battle. Sorry I can't help much with tips.
Many find it's easier to train themselves to deal with a cat on a table than to train the cat to stay off the table. ;) I'm just lucky our 3 stay off the counters.

I've had 7 cats over the years. Used the canned air and spray water bottle method, didn't work with any of them.
Only thing I've ever been able to train a cat to do is to come when offered food.

I think the greatest challenge to owning a new cat is twofold. One - you have to understand that all cats have individual personalities, just like people. And two - having said that - any battle against a cat is a losing battle for the human who wishes to be a good, considerate owner. No matter what you squirt at the cat, it will do what it wants to do. Mostly they just learn to wait until you're gone to do that. Cats are just like that.

Good luck with your new furries!

Many find it's easier to train themselves to deal with a cat on a table than to train the cat to stay off the table. ;) I'm just lucky our 3 stay off the counters.

Yeah. She does stay off the counters, so it's not really an issue. I hardly use my table anyway sinc eI usually eat on the couch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter