Help needed with US holiday.

Disneyfan.UK121

Mouseketeer
Help. We normally go to Disney for 3 weeks but funds don't allow this year so we are looking at an alternative holiday. There is 2 adults and 2 kids ( 9 and 5). We looked at European holiday but it was coming out ridiculous amounts of money for two weeks (£3.5k) to Majorca. More than our 3 weeks in Orlando last year at Easter! ( we booked 11 months out!). I begrudge paying that amount for a beach holiday in Europe!

We were wondering of some nice family friendly places to go in the US. Beach holiday, don't mind where. Happy with indirect flight from Heathrow/Gatwick/Birmingham or other airports. Anyone know of some good states to go to? Approx £2.5k. Thanks.

That isn't a very big budget for the US, regardless of where. We did the West Coast last year and the whole holiday for 3 of us cost us that, without spending money. But it was really expensive to eat out and, with the $$ rate so poor at the moment, you can probably get a better deal elsewhere. have you considered Canada?

Thanks for commenting. This would be just cost of holiday. Spending money would be separate I did think of Canada. Wouldn't have a clue where though for beach resorts, vancouver island maybe? It's a tricky one.

We loved Vancouver, although no beach as such the park and mountains are beautiful. You could combine with a beach-y place.

Help. We normally go to Disney for 3 weeks but funds don't allow this year so we are looking at an alternative holiday. There is 2 adults and 2 kids ( 9 and 5). We looked at European holiday but it was coming out ridiculous amounts of money for two weeks (£3.5k) to Majorca. More than our 3 weeks in Orlando last year at Easter! ( we booked 11 months out!). I begrudge paying that amount for a beach holiday in Europe!

We were wondering of some nice family friendly places to go in the US. Beach holiday, don't mind where. Happy with indirect flight from Heathrow/Gatwick/Birmingham or other airports. Anyone know of some good states to go to? Approx £2.5k. Thanks.
Some of the good places with kids I have been:

- Fly to Atlanta, few days possibly in Six Flags Georgia (tickets massively cheaper than Disney) go to Smokey mountains (can visit Dollywood if you have to do a park it is great there), Carolinas- Hilton Head is wonderful. Can have trips into Charleston and Savannah.
- Fly to Washington, few days touring the free museums etc in DC, can go into Virginia etc. Rehobeth Beach in Delaware is good (no sales tax) and can even get a fantastic ferry for about $15 a head over the water to New Jersey (Cape May) for a day trip, beautiful place but extremely pricey- they even charge you to go on the beach, so day trip only on the ferry from Delaware.
- Fly to Philadelphia, tour around that area, go to Hershey Park.
- Fly to Florida and don't go to Disney. I've been to Florida 20+ times- the Gulf Coast is cheap in summer. Better the further South you go down the coast- e.g. Sarasota/ Naples. Destin/ Panhandle Area is good. Could visit into beach areas of Alabama as well when up there. Visit Seaside where they filmed Truman Show- stunning place, but day trip only as a 1 bed apartment is £1m.

Will probably cost nearer 5k though I imagine with spending money.

Last edited:

As an Ex-Pat living on the West Coast, if you are looking for a 'cheap' holiday with good weather I would suggest flying into Florida and hiring a car and working your way up and down the South East Coast. Florida itself is a really cool place with great weather, there are some really cool visitor sites... Kennedy Space Center, Gator farms, Cocoa Beach, Ron Jon's etc... You can find really cost efficient hotels and motels all around that area set up for tourists. The Keys are awesome too! Just a little expensive.

Its not tropical beach-ish but the lake areas in New York are really beautiful in the summer. We used to vacation there every year and they don't get to hot. Lake George is a great holiday location and there is tons to do. The closest airport is Albany I think. Lake Ontario and Lake Erie are also really nice for relaxing but I think a little further away from a central airport.

Florida has a lot to offer even without a Disney visit like everyone has said. I can also recommend Galveston and Corpus Christi Texas theres some nice beaches and both are fairly accessible locations.

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. I will keep them in the bank for future holidays. Well, we buckled. We are not going away this year now and saving for a trip to Disney next March . Seemed like the best thing to do in the circumstance. Happy lady as I'm already planning!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!