Help - How to teach math to 4th grader?

disney4dan

DIS Veteran
Alright, how can I help my little angel 4th grader get back on track in math? The poor thing is in tears because "she doesn't get it" and does not want to talk to the teacher about it. I'm trying to figure out how to teach the concept of "mental math", concepts of simplifying addition and subtraction by rounding at first, etc.

It's so hard to explain something that comes easy, when it's been 30 years since I was learning this. I also suspect that they have "new" ways or concepts they are trying to use to help kids make the connections. She wore her mother out and was sobbing by the time I came in, actually hysterical over it. She's a straight A student in all else, but seems to be having a difficult time with abstract concepts.

Sorry if this seems to hard to explain, but I figure there are some teachers and parents of kids this age who may have figured this one out already.

OK, I have been teaching my kids homeschool math for 7 yrs and have taught grades K through 6. I must say that I hate the "new" math they are teaching. One problem that I have with public schools is that, quite often, the curriculum used is not a long term tested curriculum but some person's "theory" of what should be taught. I think that is why more kids have problems now than in the past. In an effort to "raise" standards, they have lost sight. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They should have left well enough alone. Anyway, off my soap box.

Here is what you need to do, if you have already tried this, then just blow me off. Use a number line. There is also a method involving a balance scale, but that is more complicated. If you need me to explain it, let me know.

I am sure you know what a number line is, but just in case, it is a line that you draw and then put marks along it and put 1 number at each mark, starting at one. write the 0's and 5's in bold or larger. Then ask her which the number is closer too. it is a little hard to explain. If you have questions, just ask. I am busy right now, but I will go into more detail when I have time.

My daughter is being taught the same way. I can't teach her math like I learned. The number lines seem to work for them nowadays but I have no idea how to help her.

I wish I lived closer to you guys so I could help better. I am currently tutoring a friends son. He is struggling with fractions. I use a LOT of manipulatives. Current thinking is that it is not good for the kids to have the manipulatives. They are focused more on mental math. Trying to train them to do math in their heads w/o pen and paper. It has been my experience that mental math cannot be taught. Some people are just born being able to do it in their head. What is funny is that 10 years ago my son was given a hard time for doing mental math. They wanted him to show all of his work to show how he got the answer. He had a hard time because he did not know how he got the answer, he just "knew" it. Now they are trying to teach kids to do it that way.

How I explained to my friend and her son is that all people's brains are wired differently. Some people just get math, some don't. Same goes for most other subjects. Some people are mechanical and others don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold.

I think it is crazy that they expect all brains to work the same. Each of my kids have required different teaching methods. The people writing these textbooks usually only apply one method. It takes a good teacher to teach each concept using more than one teaching method. It takes me time, but it is the only way to make sure that each child gets it.:teacher:

If you live near a teacher supply store or homeschool store, stop buy and ask for manipulatives that apply to the concept giving your child problems. You may also be able to find games. Also, some homeschool moms tutor for extra income, and they don't charge as much as professional tutors. My friend went to Sylvan and they want over $7K for 3 months. That is ridiculous. I told her I would do it for half. :laughing: Just kidding, I am doing it for free just as a friend. She actually will come over and take my 3 and help them with their school work while I work with her one. She homeschools as well, but is a language arts person.

Let me know what you have tried and ask me any question. I will see if I can explain it in words. I am a math/science person, so words are complicated for me. :rolleyes: That goes for Donnie and Dan.

Donnie, maybe I can work something out and I can mooch off of your campsite and pay for it by tutoring Annie. :lovestruc

OK, I have been teaching my kids homeschool math for 7 yrs and have taught grades K through 6. I must say that I hate the "new" math they are teaching. One problem that I have with public schools is that, quite often, the curriculum used is not a long term tested curriculum but some person's "theory" of what should be taught. I think that is why more kids have problems now than in the past. In an effort to "raise" standards, they have lost sight. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They should have left well enough alone. Anyway, off my soap box.

my God it's everywhere. My son had such a hard time last year. Me, I 've been having trouble since he stared kindegarten. i though this math was just in philly. Do note that i work in a school and it's hard trying to help the kids with ths math. Sometimes when they ask I just show them the way I learned. Sometimes the old way is the better way.

My son is in high school now..but just a few years ago, we ran into the same thing in regards to math. They had to "show" everything. They would get credit even if the answer was WRONG. Yep..he could have the right answer..and loose points, because he didn't show every step. Yet he could have the WRONG answer and still get partial credit because he showed work, even if it led the wrong answer. It was all about the test scores, and the national tests. Horrible..I'm so glad we're past it. He was one of those who just "knew it"..and found it annoying to have to show every little thing. In fact..THAT confused him. Mind you..he's by no means a math genius..probably an average student. I also found myself trying to explain simple math problems (in the primary grades) to my kids..and would resort to just teaching them the way I was taught. They thought that was GREAT, and they "got it" ! :) It only became more of an issue when all the national and state testing kicked in and they had to show why they did what they did. I'm sorry...but it was just DUMB!:mad:

I homeschool and also agree with the suggestion about private tutoring. My sister is a former teacher now SAHM who does tutoring at home for extra $$$.

My daughter needed extra help this year with math and LA so she is using an accredited online school for her core subjects but is also going to a private tutor once a week for extra help with writing and grammar. It is $60 a month and she goes for one hour every Wednesday. I would suggest looking online for homeschool groups in your area and getting advice from them for affordable math tutors.

You can search on homeschool.com and hslda.org just to name a couple that I use.

Good luck!

I also found myself trying to explain simple math problems (in the primary grades) to my kids..and would resort to just teaching them the way I was taught. They thought that was GREAT, and they "got it" ! :) It only became more of an issue when all the national and state testing kicked in and they had to show why they did what they did. I'm sorry...but it was just DUMB!:mad:

ITA !! When I showed my 5th grader how I learned long division she was floored. It is SOOO much easier than the way they are learning it now. One division problem takes them a whole page of paper because they have to do a whole grid thing to figure out the answer.

I also showed them how to *cheat* by using your fingers to do the 9 multiplication facts. They thought I was the COOLEST mom ever. I have no idea who first came up with it...but my 4th grade teacher showed us and it stuck with me my whole life. I'm sure most of you know it...but just in case this is how you do it.

1) Hold your hands out in front of you so you can see all ten fingers.
2) Fold your first finger down and look at how many are left. There are 9. This means 1x9=9.
3) Now fold down your second finger. Look at how many fingers are before the folded finger and how many are after. When you fold your second finger you will have left 1 and then 8. 2x9=18.
4) This works for all of them. Put down your 5th finger.
That leaves 4 and 5. 4 x 9=45. Put down your 7th finger....that leaves 6 and 3. 7x9=63.

:teacher: :thumbsup2

Thanks guys, I ended up logging off and spent some time with her, but not on the math. I told her to wait until this morning when she is less tired, it's sunny and we'd go do some more. I'm on my way to google some of the tools you've explained, figure there are probably some good resources I can get to on-line that will help me.

Shannone - my 16 yo son was showing me the same thing with the fingers, and suggested that I try that with her. Maybe I can ask him to help tutor, after all, he's still the "cool" big brother.

I really don't want her to get frustrated with school now, she still has a couple of years before boys are something other than pests, and learning is fun.

Lots and lots of patience. I would have been a teacher if I had patience. I realized I'd end up in Attica though for killing someone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter