• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Good News/Bad News

Disney Anna

DIS Veteran
Here's the deal! The Good News: I may be getting a giant promotion at work. More money for my planned WDW trip, WL, 9/19/01 through 9/25/01.

The bad news, I won't know if I'll get the promotion till the end of August/start of Sept. My boss said that if I got the promotion, he doesn't think it would be in my best interest to take my trip. He thinks I may have to cancel my plans.

I could handle this huge disappointment, but the big problem is that I'm going on this trip with my sister and her 2 kids. She can't afford the trip on her own, only if we split it.

I don't want to disappoint them. Obvious option, if I have to I'll cancel my plans but still pay my half.

But, do any of you have any ideas of where I could book them - someplace reasonable? I was thinking of All-Stars, $77 a nite. Or maybe Marriott at $49 per nite.

I would cancel their Sept trip and re-book us all for later, but I think there is a huge penalty on their airfare (ATA, booked on internet).

Yes, the cancelation penalties from airlines can be brutal.

Wasn't the Courtyard Marriott offering rooms for less than $30/night?
I'd say, check mousesavers.com, stay away from packages, book on your own and use every savings tip you can.

But when a boss tells you that, I'd say, don't count your chickens before they hatch!

Good luck,

Wanda

Can you explain this to your boss that you already have airline tix and the sis and kids are looking so forward to going with you? I would think he'd understand (or so I hope). You'd be losing $$ and kids will be very disappointed. Also, doesn't the All Stars have $59/night right now?

If you have to cancel/change vacation plans for business related reasons the business should be willing to reimburse you for your cancellation expenses (airline fees). I'd go with the Allstars (sister have access to Disney transportation). Try the discount codes from www.mousesavers.com

It is tough when your boss tells you outright "it may not be in your best interest". I know what it is like to have to balance work priorities and it leads to some difficult decisions. If you want to reschedule the trip there would be a cost involved in changing the airline tix - usually $75 or so. If ATA is like southwest who just charges the difference in fare it may not be that bad if there are cheap fares still available - worth checking out before you make a decision. Even if you paid all the change fees and rescheduled it may be cheaper than paying for half of a vacation that you can't even go on.

If you want to consider keeping the vacation as planned see if there is something major going on at work that you will need to be involved in in your new position. If not you may be able to push a little. Not sure what line of work you are in - but if the company is willing to invest in you and give you a significant promotion it is likely you are valuable enough to them that they would let you take the vacation you already have scheduled. If you don't ask you don't get. Only you know the political environment and your value to the company so only you can make that tough decision.

I hope you get the promotion and work out your vacation issue. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Here's what I plan to do:

1) Book an alternative just in case for my sister and her kids. I'll try for the All-Stars. I think all I can get is $77 per nite at this time, the $59 starts on Oct. 1 and our trip is for 9/19-25/01. I'll check mousesavers, etc., to try to get the best deal.

In any event, I think I can cancel out 5 days prior to trip and I should know what to do by then.

2) I'm still going to push the issue with my work. I think it's highly unfair for this to happen at this time. I'll just be careful not to push to much. I don't want to go from a promotion to a termination. Yikes.

I'm hoping my superiors will understand the position I'm in.

3) re the Airline tix. ATA charges $50 per change. Yuck. Southwest has a much more liberal policy.

Try checking expedia and travelocity. I thought I saw some good AS deals (except movies) something like $59/night for some dates in September. I'm not sure if they're gone though...good luck!

Just make sure you are dealing with CRO and not WDTC for the new reservation so you get the 5 day cancellation policy. Sometimes when you call 407 W Disney you do get WDTC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter