Help!!! AKL or Poly - I'm ready to FTP it!

bigkat

Earning My Ears
I'm planning to book a 7 night FTP in mid-September for our family of 4 (kids are 3 & 7). We are leaning toward an AKL deluxe Savannah room but the Poly sounds intriguing as well (both are similarly priced).

The search engine seems to be having some issues so I apologize if this has been heavily discussed before.

The way I see it based on reading all of the helpful posts on this board...

AKL advantages - animals (obviously), newer property, more secluded/relaxing environment?

Poly advantages - room size, transportation options, beach

Unsure: best pool, dining options, overall property ambience, etc.

I would appreciate input from those who are familiar with both properties as I would love to get this trip nailed down.

Stayed at the Polynesian for my 20th birthday in 1972 8months after it was opened and have been staying there 80% of the time each year since. I love the Polynesian. Very convienent to the parks via the monorail. I think for me the biggest perk is to be able to see "MY CASTLE" lit up at night from the pool. The pools are heated and from the pool with a cold drink in your hand you can look over and see the castle. Never stayed at AKL but for me Animal Kingdom is not my thing. I am a die hard Disney nut (Walts) Disney. My thing is the MK or Epcot. That"s my little bit of input... Enjoy

I've stayed at both, Poly maybe 4 times and AKL once, (with another AKL trip next month). The difference in room size between the 2 is really a non-issue for us. AKL may be a little smaller, but not enough to make a difference. We like the pool better at the AKL, they have 2 hot tubs, the Poly has no hot tub. While the Poly has good dining options at 'Ohana & the other full service place who's name escapes me now...The Poly has a hideous counter service place. Mara, (counter service), at AKL is large, clean and offers a wide variety. Some people like Boma, (Though I'm not one of them). And Jiko is supposed to be very good.

On my last couple visits to Poly, the place has been horribly crowded and a nightmare around the pool....I think there's some unauthorized pool-hopping going on at this joint.

The Poly has monorail transportation to the MK, but, we found the transportation from AKL to be the best from ANY resort we've stayed at.

We prefer the ambience at the AKL over the Poly any day.

If my choice were to stay at these two resorts, I'd choose the Poly hands down. The room decor at the Poly isn't to my liking, but other than that the Poly wins. The Poly has a better atmosphere, and has GROUNDS, whereas the AKL just has savannahs, leaving you trapped in your room or at the pool area. Both have zero entry pools, so they are pretty much the same, the AKL pool is a little larger and slide tamer. The Poly pool backs up to the beach, and there is nothing like relaxing by the pool with a view of the Castle in the background. Dining options abound at the Poly. There are three restaurants, all or which are pretty good, with Captain Cooks being your standard counter service. All are casual and family oriented. Also at the Poly you have all the restaurants at the other Monorail hotels at your disposal, at AKL you have to take a bus to eat somewhere else, and only a park then without transfering. At the AKL there are three also, but Boma is an expensive option for breakfast, since it's a buffet, and then your only other option is the Mara, AKL's counter place. Jiko the other restaurant is upscale and delicious, but that's it. I did enjoy my stay at the AKL, but after the first few hours of OOH and AAHS of the animals, they were just there. I'll equate it to going to the Grand Canyon, when you get there it's like WOW, but after a couple of hours, you realize it's just a big hole in the ground. AKL had that same effect for me, it was nice at first, but by the 3rd day, it was oh yeah, there's animals out there. There is nothing more relaxing that sitting on the beach at the Poly and gaxing at Cinderella's castle in the distance. Being able to watch the fireworks or Electric water pagent and then slowly walk back to your room on tiki torch lit paths. Now, after reading this glowing review of the Poly and my sort of bashing of the AKL, you'd probably think that the Poly is my favorite resort and I would never stay at the AKL again. WRONG!! I'd stay at the AKL again(only a few nights though), and actually my favorite resort is the WL. My favorite monorail resort isn't even the Poly, it's the GF.

Why not split your stay, if you can? That way you can try both resorts!

We stayed in both resorts last week: 4 nights at AKL and 3 nights at the Poly. There's just two of us (no kids) so our needs will be different than yours, but I prefer AKL. Here's why:

Ambiance: AKL wins hands down. From the moment you enter the lobby, you are totally immersed in the African theming. I find it to be peaceful and relaxing.

Dining options: That's a tough one. Jiko and Boma are two of our favorite restaurants on property, although they may not be appropriate for young children or picky eaters. However, we also enjoy Kona Cafe and make sure to have at least one meal there each trip. We tried 'Ohana for the first time last week and thought it was just okay. The food court (Mara) at AKL, though, can accommodate more people than the food court at Polynesian. It feels less crowded and offers more choices.

Another reason I prefer AKL over the Poly is that the sinks are outside the bathroom. This may sound trivial, but when you're trying to get ready in the morning, it's a lot easier when the mirror isn't getting all fogged up because someone else is in the shower.

They're both beautiful resorts. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of which one you choose!

Hope this helps!

hi bigkat, i just posted a similar thread a few days ago......we have opted for the FTP for 7 nights at the polynesian. we have stayed here twice before......and LOVE it. there is nothing like looking at the castle changing colors in the evening. the transportation with small children is the best on disney property. i do want to try the AKL soon, but with this new FTP, you can't really split your days up to save the extra $$$$.

I have never stayed at the Poly, but AKL is my absolute favorite. The theming is wonderful, the room service is great, Boma's is incredible (and I am a PICKY eater), and Mara is better than some food courts :)

AKL is just so peaceful.

Hi.. I think it is a matter of personal taste... I have walked through Poly several times and it just does nothing for me.. the buildings remind me of the the 1970's/modern.

I totally fell in love with AKL the moment I walked in the towering lobby.. it was so warm and cozy and totally unique. Seeing animals off our balcony was an amazing experience - morning coffee or a cold drink at night just taking it all in.

Pool was beautiful, lots of chairs. Restauants were great (Boma and Mara) I id not have a chance to try Jiko.

There is absolutely nothing to compare this resort to - but have a great trip no matter where you choose.

>>^..^<<

Everybody has gone through all the details so I'll just give my vote, Poly. We've eaten at AKL several times and the resort is very nice. I'll just repeat my mantra here; location, location, location.

steve

Originally posted by Bob NC
we found the transportation from AKL to be the best from ANY resort we've stayed at.

OK Bob, I'll bite. Seeing that the AKL is a hop, skip and jump from Rt. 192, how do you figure the AKL has the best transportation?

As far as transportation goes you can't beat BW, Y&B Club or Swan & Dolphin. Walk or boat just outside the resort to Epcot or MGM. You do have to bus to AK or MK. I don't think any of the other resorts can beat them on transportation.

steve

Originally posted by smfnj
OK Bob, I'll bite. Seeing that the AKL is a hop, skip and jump from Rt. 192, how do you figure the AKL has the best transportation?

Well, all I can speak about is my personal experiences. I've stayed at Poly 4 times, CBR, CSR, Shades of Green, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Disney Inn, CR. Granted I have never stayed at the Boardwalk area resorts, but that is because they do not impress me in the least. Transportation from there really doesn't effect my decisionmaking, because I know I'll never stay there anyway.

I DETEST waiting for buses. At ALL of the above mentioned resorts, (except AKL), we tried the bus service and then switched over to using our car exclusively. In MY EXPERIENCE AKL has the best bus service of the resorts I mentioned above.....BY FAR.

I'd choose the Polynesian. I love the theme, it's a beautiful resort to walk thru, has boats to rent to use in Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake, monorail and restaurants. The AKL doesn't appeal to me at all for some reason so if it were me, I would definitely go with Polynesian.

Thanks for all of the opinions, but I'm still torn. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We've stayed at the Polynesian for close to thirty vacations now and I had a solo two night stay at the AKL. The AKL is beautiful and I hope to return for a SHORT stay someday but for a week....Polynesian all the way. As Lori explained at the AKL there are no grounds and I would feel cooped up after a few days. The dining options are so much more varied at the Polynesian if you don't mind hopping a monorail to the MK, GF or CR as well as the Polynesian's own great Kona which I personally prefer to Jiko. You can also take the short walk to the TTC and have all the Epcot restaurants to choose from after a quick monorail ride. Shopping is better at the Polynesian too and again a short ride away to other options.

I also find the Polynesian very, very relaxing. Just thinking about it makes me sigh.

You have picked two great resorts. Have a great trip whichever you choose.

Here is why I agree about the bus service at AKL:

AKL has one bus stop and does not share a route with any other resort. If you are at the Polynesian and want to go somewhere other than the Magic Kingdom or Epcot, you'll have to take a bus that also stops at the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary (although some of them might now just stop at the Contemporary - there are bus stops now reading Polynesian/Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian, but the one time I caught a bus from the Contemporary last week it stopped at both the Polynesian and the GF).

I'm someone who ends up at Downtown Disney nightly and I like that the AKL bus goes straight there and straight back. I was staying at the Boardwalk last week and their bus has four other stops (Swan, Dolphin, Yacht and Beach clubs) before getting to the Boardwalk. I would get off at the Swan and walk, it took less time.

bigcat:

As you can see, everyone has their own favorite. WDW has a wide variety of resort options because everybody prefers something different.

I've stayed at many resorts and the ONE thing I can tell you that is true for us is: We have been VERY SATISFIED with every single resort we've stayed at. Choosing between 2 Deluxe Disney resorts is not like choosing between either a Motel 6 or a Hyatt. The quality of the 2 resorts you are deciding between are about even. Look at the pictures of the 2 resorts and pick one, then don't look back.

Comparing Poly with AKL could boil down to the little things:

We like a hot tub and Poly doesn't have one.

Maybe you think your kids want to ride the monorail A LOT, then Poly is for you.

AKL has a balcony with a view of real live animals, this comes in very handy in the mornings when the kids are itching to get going while the adults are still taking showers. Something to keep them occupied.

The Poly has a more romatic 'feel', walking around at night. (We stayed there on our honeymoon).

I'm sure you'd get more responses if you were asking if you should stay at Poly vs. All Star. Comparing 2 deluxes simply comes down to personal preference. I know it seems like a tough decision now, but after you pick one and arrive at your resort, you won't give another thought to where else you could have stayed.

Here is my input...
We have stayed at the Poly once and the AKL twice before,but only on concierge level. As you can see from my countdown on our upcoming trip we are splitting our stay with both resorts (plus OKW).
I understand with the FTP you can't split your stay.
The AKL is my absolute favorite between the two, but we thought it would be nice to be near the MK for July 4th.
The Poly is nice but it is not that unique. It has a wonderful tropical feel to it. However, The AKL is an experience in itself, not found in any other hotels around the US.
If you are going to be park commandos and not get the full benefit of the resort, then stay at the Poly. It you like to take a slow pace and enjoy the atmosphere of a terrific resort then try the AKL.
I really don't think you can go wrong with either resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter