Hello and Help

Hatbox

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a WDW vacation with 1 day built in for our very first trip to Universal. Yes, I know it's not enough time, but we don't have kids and are approaching it as We're just here for Wizarding World and if we get to do anything else it's a bonus.

I don't have a specific question right now -- I have a thousand of them. So this is just to say: Hi. Hello. I'll need your help :scared:

Hi, welcome!

For a first trip, check out the stickies here for basic info and Orlando Informer for detailed info on Universal and especially HP. They have free detailed HP touring plans, guides, and a crowd calendar. It’s a great place to start, and you can always post questions here as well.

I'm planning a WDW vacation with 1 day built in for our very first trip to Universal. Yes, I know it's not enough time, but we don't have kids and are approaching it as We're just here for Wizarding World and if we get to do anything else it's a bonus.

I don't have a specific question right now -- I have a thousand of them. So this is just to say: Hi. Hello. I'll need your help :scared:
when are you planning on going?

If you are only doing one day and want to do Wizarding World, you will need to buy the park to park ticket. The Wizarding World is at both Universal parks and I don't know how you would choose only 1. Plus, having park to park will allow you to ride the Hogwart's Express. The ride is different depending on which way you are going and some will say you need to experience both. I have done both and it was cool but I could have done without all the waiting for the second trip and I really didn't notice much difference to have it take up that much time if I only had 1 day at the parks.

If you're able to book a one night stay at one of the onsite deluxe hotels it would give you unlimited express passes which now includes the Harry Potter rides. This would help a lot to aid you in doing all the rides with minimal waits. You'd be able to do a lot in one day. Also, you could utilize early entry to the parks.

:thanks:

For a first trip, check out the stickies here for basic info and Orlando Informer for detailed info on Universal and especially HP. They have free detailed HP touring plans, guides, and a crowd calendar. It’s a great place to start, and you can always post questions here as well.
Thanks a lot! I didn't even know what stickies were so... that just saved me a lot!

:yay:

when are you planning on going?
Our USF/IOA day will be Saturday Aug 25th or Sunday the 26th - depends on how Disney FP planning shakes out! But probably the 25th. Touring Plans suggests that it should be moderate crowds either day.

If you are only doing one day and want to do Wizarding World, you will need to buy the park to park ticket. The Wizarding World is at both Universal parks and I don't know how you would choose only 1. Plus, having park to park will allow you to ride the Hogwart's Express. The ride is different depending on which way you are going and some will say you need to experience both. I have done both and it was cool but I could have done without all the waiting for the second trip and I really didn't notice much difference to have it take up that much time if I only had 1 day at the parks.
That's super helpful, thanks. I've done just enough research to know I need a park-to-park ticket and that I need to show up before the park opens - but it kinda stops there! My husband really wants to ride the Hogwarts Express both ways, but it's good to know it's not a MUST if we run short on time. (Which we shouldn't, because I'm a PLANNER.)

If you're able to book a one night stay at one of the onsite deluxe hotels it would give you unlimited express passes which now includes the Harry Potter rides. This would help a lot to aid you in doing all the rides with minimal waits. You'd be able to do a lot in one day. Also, you could utilize early entry to the parks.
I thought about staying at a Universal resort for one night for the privileges, but it's such a short trip (we're only in Orlando for four days) that moving hotels sounded like more than I want to deal with. I'll probably regret this later :-)

have fun and don't stress! we've done universal quite a bit in aug with just one day and had a great time! just have a reasonable expectation and make the best of it. you can get quite a bit done. drink plenty of fluids and enjoy!

Hi we love HP lands they are so amazing. We usually start in the studios with Diagon Alley. It is a bit narrower than Hogsmeade and feels more like people are on top of you. The first thing I would do is go on Gringotts. This ride can get very busy. I would walk around after the ride then I would take the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade in IOA. I would suggest going to Forbidden Journey first when you get there. The line will only get more crowded as the day goes on. If you are going to be there from open to close the crowds will thin out later in the evening.

If you want butter beer go inside the Hogs Head Pub connected to Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. There is usually not a line. The carts outside get very crowded. If you are going to eat at either Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron for lunch or dinner. I would go a little earlier. I would be there by 11:45 for lunch and by 5:00 for dinner. We enjoy both restaurants each as a little different menu so you might want to check them out before hand.

Explore every part of these two lands. Listen as you go in the bathroom in Hogsmeade. Over in the studios next to Diagon Alley is Grimauld Place look up in the windows. Nocturn Alley is part of Diagon Alley so don't miss it.

Personally I like both ways of the Hogwarts Express. It sets the mood for going to the land. We try to make sure we always have time for both ways. If you decide to only do HP stuff then you will have plenty of time to ride it both ways. If you decide you want to do other attractions then you might want to skip the other way.

The other thing is if you decide you want to do a lot more while you are there and worried about time restraints and it is busy you could always buy an express pass plan the day you are there. There is unlimited and one time only.

Enjoy your trip!

have fun and don't stress! we've done universal quite a bit in aug with just one day and had a great time! just have a reasonable expectation and make the best of it. you can get quite a bit done. drink plenty of fluids and enjoy!

THANK YOU. When I've asked elsewhere how to do US in 1 day, most responses have been along the lines of, "It can't be done. You really need like five weeks or you'll be sorry."

Hi we love HP lands they are so amazing. We usually start in the studios with Diagon Alley. It is a bit narrower than Hogsmeade and feels more like people are on top of you. The first thing I would do is go on Gringotts. This ride can get very busy. I would walk around after the ride then I would take the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade in IOA. I would suggest going to Forbidden Journey first when you get there. The line will only get more crowded as the day goes on. If you are going to be there from open to close the crowds will thin out later in the evening.

I think this is exactly what I'll start from!

THANK YOU. When I've asked elsewhere how to do US in 1 day, most responses have been along the lines of, "It can't be done. You really need like five weeks or you'll be sorry."

I think this is exactly what I'll start from!

very welcome! its all about expectations going into it. I've gone I think 5 different times one day at a time, and we always see something new. you definitely cant get everything done, but priority is HP you'll have a great time with just that, just enjoy and any extras is a bonus! I also think @bobbie68 has great advice. I'm working my way through a trip report now, it might be of interest, or put you to sleep, its rather wordy. but we just did universal in one day last week and had a blast!

You do need more than one day to see everything, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time with only one day. You just need to be ok with the fact that you won’t be seeing and doing everything.

One day can be a great way to test the waters to see if Universal is for you or not. People seem to either really like it or really hate it, so one day is a great way to find out which camp you fall in. Then, if you decide it’s the place for you, you can always plan for a longer trip in the future to hit all the stuff you missed the first time.

I’ve done a few one day trips. Both my mother, my sister, and a close friend only wanted to go for one day (each different trips). They each mainly wanted to focus on HP. My mother enjoyed HP and the old Lucy exhibit as well as a few other attractions, but overall was done after the one day and has no desire to return. She had a list of what she wanted to accomplish. She did those things, and now she’s good. Pretty much the same story with my friend. We actually went for two days, but we ended up doing two half days because there just wasn’t that much she was interested in. I really felt we should have only done one day. There just wasn’t enough she wanted to do to justify the two days. She has no desire to return either. My sister on the other hand was a completely different story. She went one day her first trip to check it out and fell in love. She couldn’t get enough. She now has a season pass.

The reason people tell you you need more days is firstly because people usually come on here asking how to save money or how to buy discounted tickets or how to do Universal for less than Disney, and the answer is you really can’t if you only plan on one day. You don’t start saving money until you start looking at multi day or season tickets. It usually comes down to the longer you stay, the greater the savings. Even the hotels have a special discount designated Stay More Save More. The more nights you stay, the cheaper the hotel room.

Secondly, it does take more than a day to see everything. Each park takes about 1.5 days to see and do everything. Of course, not everyone wants to do everything which I think a lot of people forget. You also have to factor in crowds, EP access, and personal touring styles. But I think it’s pretty safe to say that the average family would want at least a day per each park. This is because many people do want to try everything or close to everything on their first trips to determine what they do and don’t like for the future. This is why 2 to 3 days is usually suggested. However, you can definitely go for less time and still have a good time. You’ll just need to do a little planning and determine what your priorities are.

Third, people who are only doing one day usually don’t have EP because they just come over for the day and don’t stay in the hotel. This makes it even harder to accomplish very much in one day as they need to wait in standby lines. A day at Universal without EP can be a very different day to one with it. There have been many unhappy visitors who have come on here in the past to complain that they went only one day to Universal (without EP) and accomplished very little except for waiting in lines all day. People suggesting longer stays are trying to give others realistic expectations. You aren’t going to go one day only, peak season, no EP, and see all of both parks. On top of that, if you do decide you want or need EP, it is usually cheaper to buy a throwaway hotel room, then it is to buy the EP outright. This again makes it more economical and practical to stay more than one day as 1 night gives you 2 days EP, so if you don’t go at least 2 days, you don’t see the savings.

Our first trip we only did 1 day and both parks. We are since going back for our 3rd trip in November and love it!

My advice is to start in the park that does not have early entrance, if you are getting a park to park ticket. The Hogwarts Express is one of my kids favorites so we never miss it. We also stay off site and don't have express passes. With a little planning you will be okay. We are from Philly and used to waiting in line at Dorney Park and Six Flags for 45 min+ so lines do really bother us like it does for others.

You do need more than one day to see everything, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time with only one day. You just need to be ok with the fact that you won’t be seeing and doing everything.
One day can be a great way to test the waters to see if Universal is for you or not. People seem to either really like it or really hate it, so one day is a great way to find out which camp you fall in. Then, if you decide it’s the place for you, you can always plan for a longer trip in the future to hit all the stuff you missed the first time.

Totally. We're going in with the goal of doing everything Potter and then, with whatever time we have left, hopefully squeezing in at least Kong, Spider-Man and Mummy - and even without those, I won't be heartbroken. My husband hates Disney but loves Harry Potter, so this is really (1) a carrot to dangle in front of him so I get my WDW trip and (2) a test to see if Universal will be an incentive for him to visit in the future, too.

Third, people who are only doing one day usually don’t have EP because they just come over for the day and don’t stay in the hotel. This makes it even harder to accomplish very much in one day as they need to wait in standby lines. A day at Universal without EP can be a very different day to one with it. There have been many unhappy visitors who have come on here in the past to complain that they went only one day to Universal (without EP) and accomplished very little except for waiting in lines all day. People suggesting longer stays are trying to give others realistic expectations. You aren’t going to go one day only, peak season, no EP, and see all of both parks. On top of that, if you do decide you want or need EP, it is usually cheaper to buy a throwaway hotel room, then it is to buy the EP outright. This again makes it more economical and practical to stay more than one day as 1 night gives you 2 days EP, so if you don’t go at least 2 days, you don’t see the savings.

I've been torn about EP. It's expensive, and I've heard reviews of its necessity that go both ways. But I am trying to do a lot in a little time. On the other hand, our goal is just 6 or 7 attractions (plus a quick lunch and exploring Diagon a little) and we don't mind doing single rider lines. I'll absolutely get EP if my budget shakes out, but I'm not quite ready to bite that bullet.

Totally. We're going in with the goal of doing everything Potter and then, with whatever time we have left, hopefully squeezing in at least Kong, Spider-Man and Mummy - and even without those, I won't be heartbroken. My husband hates Disney but loves Harry Potter, so this is really (1) a carrot to dangle in front of him so I get my WDW trip and (2) a test to see if Universal will be an incentive for him to visit in the future, too.

I've been torn about EP. It's expensive, and I've heard reviews of its necessity that go both ways. But I am trying to do a lot in a little time. On the other hand, our goal is just 6 or 7 attractions (plus a quick lunch and exploring Diagon a little) and we don't mind doing single rider lines. I'll absolutely get EP if my budget shakes out, but I'm not quite ready to bite that bullet.

I think in your situation, one day without EP, you’ll be fine. You have a plan. You know you don’t want to see everything and are mainly there just for HP. I wouldn’t spend the money on EP in your shoes. You’ll have to wait some, but since you aren’t trying to cram a million things into one day, you’ll be fine. If you do decide you really like it. Plan a future trip where you stay longer and stay onsite and get EP that way. For the limited amount of attractions on your to do list, I can’t see it being worth the cost.

I think its worth the incredibly minimal hassle to change hotels. Your trip is short so it's not like packing and repacking will be all that hard. The tradeoff for your 1 hour of hassle is worth a lot more than that to be able to roll out of bed right at the parks and hit them with express passes. :) (or fall into bed at the end of the night, which probably makes more sense to do your 1 night at Universal on the end).

I agree with changing hotels for the Universal part of your trip. When we go to both WDW and US, we start at WDW and end at US.

We stay at HRH, as it's so close to the parks. 5min walk! The unlimited express pass is such a huge perk. We are able to enjoy the parks so much more with it, especially the HP areas.

If you hubby hates Disney and you really want him to start liking the parks, stay onsite. You’ll be pampered at a deluxe hotel then wake and have express passes all day. Definitely worth the cost and hassle. Might be the game changer for him!

I agree to stay onsite at a hotel that offers express passes. It is so great! Universal will be the best part of your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter