Heart Flutters

And all of our different responses for different reasons of having it is probably making the OP's head spin which is why the thread should probably have been more focused on what the OP's likely diagnosis would be and not ours.
I believe OP's are likely just due to anxiety if they are in otherwise good health.
The Dr's office kind of HAS to be concerned with that kind of a symptom and I am sure a number of tests will be done to ensure no other health problem is causing it but at the end of the day its likely anxiety especially since OP said they have anxiety.
You really have no way of knowing what the most likely cause is for the OP.

Does anyone get these? I have been getting them off and on for a while. It's like a flutter or pounding in my chest. Sometimes I feel weak, but I think that is just my anxiety kicking in. I have an appt tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else has these and what their diagnosis was. I have googled it and apparently it can be anywhere from completely benign to very serious. I was very nervous after making the appt. because she kept saying "we really need to see you" over and over as she was checking the schedule. Gulp.
Clinic personnel are trained to give canned responses like, "we need to see you" and "go to the ER if . . . " especially if its abdominal pain or chest pain, heart stuff. Most clinic nurses are LPN's and they have limited education and cannot answer medical questions or provide advice. Now of days a lot of doctor's offices are using Medial Assistants who have even less training and experience. I would glean absolutely nothing, from, "you really need to come in and get this checked out", other than the fact that you need to get checked out and there is nothing they can do for you on the phone.

Thanks everyone. Yes I had my thyroid checked at my last physical. about six months ago.

I am hoping it's just hormones. From what I understand, it peri menopause can do a number on you and heart palpitations are a sign of peri menopause.

I have heard they can be very normal, but they still freak me out a bit.
That's what causes mine, the same thing happened to my Mom when she was my age. The cardiologist said as long as estrogen is protecting me I'm good (I'm still perimenopause) Once that decreases he wants to put me on an aspirin regimen (heart problems run in my family)

And all of our different responses for different reasons of having it is probably making the OP's head spin which is why the thread should probably have been more focused on what the OP's likely diagnosis would be and not ours.
I believe OP's are likely just due to anxiety if they are in otherwise good health.
The Dr's office kind of HAS to be concerned with that kind of a symptom and I am sure a number of tests will be done to ensure no other health problem is causing it but at the end of the day its likely anxiety especially since OP said they have anxiety.

It would be dangerous and unhelpful for us, as armchair physicians, to try and diagnose OP from our computer screens.

Her doctor's office absolutely told her the right thing to do, which is get it checked out by a medical doctor. It isn't some canned response, but actual good, life saving advice. Many times, these things are completely benign. But sometimes it can be a symptom of a very serious problem, and I wouldn't want OP, or someone else who finds this thread later, to read it and come to the conclusion that its likely nothing and never get it checked.

I understand why OP wanted to hear from others who have had palpitations. It is informational to read an article, but it can be comforting to talk to others who have been through it and hear about their experiences.

Go see the doctor. This is an area where not knowing could not be good.. This is something not to be treated likely. Take it from someone who had cardiac arrest.

I get them. Am 44. Had my thyroid checked and it's not that. My DR suspects pre menopausal and I thinks it's that too as I get night sweats a lot as well.

Yes. I did all the tests and everything. I was told everything was okay. I cut out caffeine and I hardly get them any more but they always come back if I have caffeine so I really have to watch my intake.
Same here. Too much caffeine was the final diagnosis for me too. If I drink regular coffee, I fill the cup 1/3 with coffee, and 2/3 with hot water. And I keep a jar of decaf instant in my desk.

Same here. Too much caffeine was the final diagnosis for me too. If I drink regular coffee, I fill the cup 1/3 with coffee, and 2/3 with hot water. And I keep a jar of decaf instant in my desk.

I suspect this may be my cause as well, but I can't seem to kick the coffee! I only drink 2 - 3 cups a day, max, but it sure is good!

I have this too and got checked out. I have premature atrial contractions, or early beats. My heart is beating normally and then throws an extra beat in every few beats. My doctor was not concerned and basically I didn’t get an explanation. It doesn’t do it all the time. When it happens, it feels like it skips a beat and then beats hard. Kind of takes my breath and makes me cough. It’s annoying but I’ve stopped worrying over it. It’s good that you are getting checked out.

I went through something similar last spring - had the EKG at the office, heart monitor for 24 hours, stress test - all came back that my heart was fine. I find it happens when I get dehydrated, have too much caffeine, have anxiety over something.

OP, I hope your results come back normal, or there's an easy fix for your situation!

Glad you are going to the doctors. I also get what you have. Unfortunately I kept putting off going to the doctors and at the beginning of the year I had a small heart attack. It's best to get these things checked out. Hope your problem is not something serious :hug:

Thanks everyone. Yes I had my thyroid checked at my last physical. about six months ago.

I am hoping it's just hormones. From what I understand, it peri menopause can do a number on you and heart palpitations are a sign of peri menopause.

I have heard they can be very normal, but they still freak me out a bit.
My sister just had this happen a few months ago and the result was just what you said - peri menopause!! Best of luck - I feel you will be ok!

had the appt. today. He did not seem overly concerned. EKG was normal. He is having me do the holster monitor. I feel better having gone in, but had absolutely no symptoms today.

The Holter monitor should hopefully pick up what's happening.

I had this several years ago, it would happen quite often. My doctor told me it was premature ventricular contractions and that stress and too much caffeine can cause them. I gave up Diet Coke and limited my coffee, rarely have a flutter anymore.

I am glad you went to your doctor, OP, but I certainly understand why you wanted to hear about other people’s experiences too. I hope your issues turn out to be nothing serious.

I had this several years ago, it would happen quite often. My doctor told me it was premature ventricular contractions and that stress and too much caffeine can cause them. I gave up Diet Coke and limited my coffee, rarely have a flutter anymore.

I am glad you went to your doctor, OP, but I certainly understand why you wanted to hear about other people’s experiences too. I hope your issues turn out to be nothing serious.

Did you have to do anything to treat it? Meds or surgery, or is it just something you have to learn to live with.

He also told me to cut down on caffeine.

Did you have to do anything to treat it? Meds or surgery, or is it just something you have to learn to live with.

He also told me to cut down on caffeine.

I know your questions wasn't directed to me, but if you do have PACs or PVCs that bother you (even though they are benign), doctors will often offer to put you on a beta blocker type of medication. This medication slows the heart rate down and makes it more even and some people prefer to do that. I did try taking them and I already have a low resting heart rate so they made my heart rate SUPER low which really freaked me out.

As long as I know they are benign, I'm good with that. I don't need to add unnecessary medications to my life!

I know your questions wasn't directed to me, but if you do have PACs or PVCs that bother you (even though they are benign), doctors will often offer to put you on a beta blocker type of medication. This medication slows the heart rate down and makes it more even and some people prefer to do that. I did try taking them and I already have a low resting heart rate so they made my heart rate SUPER low which really freaked me out.

As long as I know they are benign, I'm good with that. I don't need to add unnecessary medications to my life!
My doctor put me on a beta blocker for this several years ago and it has really done a great job controlling it.

Going through the tests to rule out a serious cause, then starting the beta blocker to treat the symptoms both put my mind at ease.

Last edited:
A little late here, but yea I have had this before (a few years ago). The feeling that was described here is pretty accurate. I totally was freaked out, but never got it checked out because I am not always the brightest. It would happen fairly regularly. *knock on wood* they very rarely happen to me anymore. In fact, I cannot even remember the last time it has happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter