Hawthorn Suites Universal (Canada Ave.) 2 Night Review

justbishop

Watch your words spread hope like fire...
Figured I'd document for any interested :)

First impressions - Day 1

Arrived at about 2pm, and got into our suites right away, even though check in is supposed to be at 4. Front desk staff has been super nice! We are all very impressed with how upscale and clean the public areas are. Carpets in hallway look and feel newer to me. Went swimming before dinner, great heated pool for the price (no slide or waterfalls or anything, but nice to splash around and do a few laps in for an hourish).

Rooms are wonderful! Everything looks very clean and orderly. Nicely laid out. We have a small area on our bedroom door where the paint is peeling, but otherwise, things seem to be in good repair. Great water pressure in shower, instant and plentiful hot water. Towels could be thicker, but I consider that a bit nitpicky of a complaint anyway.

Ordered in pizza from Flippers for dinner (not from a flyer, it was the hotel's menu book), which was phenomenal. Quick, hot, yummy, and only $33 with tip for an xl pizza with 2 toppings (2 different ones per half, not sure if they charged for 4 toppings or 2) and an order of cheesy bread. Fed 4 very hungry adults and a toddler with exactly one slice to spare :)

Took pix of our suite minus the bedroom (2 y/o DD is asleep in there until it's time for DH and I to go to bed), but can't get them to upload to photobucket from my phone. Maybe tomorrow.

To be continued :)

We were still happy after the second night! Photos as promised :)

Front door and kitchen area (doors to the left are a locked closet, bathroom, and bedroom):

2011-09-09192244.jpg

Living room, from the front door (door to the left was to an adjoining suite):

2011-09-09192223.jpg

Dining table, which was between the bedroom and bathroom doors:

2011-09-09192258.jpg

Bathroom area (there was a door into the bedroom on the left of the first part of the room, across from the sink):

2011-09-09192315.jpg

The kitchen:

2011-09-09192330.jpg

I know when me and the kids stay there it was good. I love happy hour because free food and drinks. Only had to feed the kids desert

Thank you for posting a review and photos!! :thumbsup2 We arrive on December 31st for a seven-night stay, and its so good to know the property is in great shape.

What kind of dining options are in the immediate vicinity?

Thank you for posting a review and photos!! :thumbsup2 We arrive on December 31st for a seven-night stay, and its so good to know the property is in great shape.

What kind of dining options are in the immediate vicinity?

No problem :)

I know there was a Fishbones right at the corner of Sand Lake Rd. and the side street that the hotel is on. Other than that, we didn't have much of a chance to explore, but that area is supposed to have loads of chain restaurants. Come to think of it, I also remember seeing a McD's that advertised the world's largest playplace on the short drive from the hotel to Universal as well. For some reason, I'm thinking I saw a Perkins as well, but I could be misremembering.

I didn't end up taking any photos of the bedroom, but did want to mention a few things about it...first, the bed was super comfy. Actually more so than the bed in the 1br DVC unit at AKV that we spent the next 5 nights in (which was way too firm for us). Also, the mirrored sliding closet doors in the bedroom were off track and a bit difficult to deal with. My parents said the same about the ones in their suite. Finally, the bedroom was a bit on the cramped side, but it didn't bug us too much as we were only there for the 2 nights.

This was the first place I ever stayed. We thought it was super clean and it was in walking distance to plenty of eateries. The breakfast was also good.

Also, despite it's location (less than 5 minutes walk to the I-Drive/Sand Lake Road junction) the area seemed quiet.

perkins, burger king, poyapyes or church's chicken,fisbones, tgi friday's that is all I remember.

Great information everyone!!! :thumbsup2

You've managed to rev up the excitement about our upcoming trip at least one more notch. :banana: And here I thought that wasn't possible!

Oh, another minor gripe we had...when handed our plates of "hot" breakfast food (pancakes, bacon, etc. that seemed to have been pre-cooked and then refrigerated), we were instructed to place them in the microwave in the buffet area for 15-20 seconds :confused:

I'm glad to see it looks pretty nice and clean! We have booked the one on Westwood near the convention center for a December trip. I'm hoping it's just as nice!!

Is the breakfast a buffet style? or are you served??

And the afternoon happy hour....what does that consist of??

Thanks!!

I'm glad to see it looks pretty nice and clean! We have booked the one on Westwood near the convention center for a December trip. I'm hoping it's just as nice!!

Is the breakfast a buffet style? or are you served??

And the afternoon happy hour....what does that consist of??

Thanks!!

Breakfast is buffet-style.

Happy hour consisted of two free alcoholic drinks per person and some light snacks (chips, popcorn, etc.). There was unlimited soda for kids (or anyone who wanted to abstain from drinking alcohol). Just be sure to tip the bartender.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter