Having second thoughts about going while pregnant

FireflyTrance

DIS Veteran
My family has a WDW trip planned for early Feb when I'll be about 5 months pregnant. So far my pregnancy has been tough with a lot of morning sickness and exhaustion. I just don't feel up for doing much of anything. I am really hoping it will improve by then but I have no way to know. My last pregnancy with my daughter was much easier than this one has been so far. Anyone want to share their experience going while in the second trimester? I feel bad canceling because my daughter is really looking forward to it. Any tips to make it easier?

I have gone to WDW at 9-10 weeks pregnant and DL at 26 weeks with my younger daughter. It was fine! My all-day nausea was pretty bad but cleared up by around 17 weeks with both. We had a good time with both trips, and I was super exhausted in the 1st trimester with both of them but had that great burst of energy in the 2nd trimester. (I've also traveled a bunch for work and fun through both pregnancies, and traveling in the 2nd and even early 3rd trimester has been the easiest. I would not recommend the work trip at 36 weeks - that was pretty awful.)

I would go if only so that you can take one last "babymoon" while you are still a family of 3. I treasure some of those memories because my ODD really enjoyed getting all that attention from both parents without having to compete with a new baby. 3 months from now is still a long way to go, and I know with bad nausea it feels like it will never end, but unless you are dealing with HG it often does ease up by the 2nd trimester.

When we went - we really took it easy, had the midafternoon naps or quiet time, and went to sleep when our older daughter did too. I made sure to stay hydrated and brought lots of little healthy snacks that had protein in them (mixed nut packs were a lifesaver) and munched on those a lot. This trip is not the one to be a park commando!

Unfortunately it's not always that way. It's not common but I had morning sickness almost every day of my first pregnancy. I had none during my second pregnancy.

I was about 17 weeks when we went on our last trip. The first trimester was so terrible and I was worried I’d be sick the whole time, but about a week before our trip, I started feeling great! We just paced ourselves and I tried not to overdo it. We went in early September and the heat and humidity were brutal. You shouldn’t have that problem in February though!

my wife and I went to DL when she was 5 months pregnant and had no issues. She had some nausea during the first and third trimesters, but the 2nd trimester was a nice point in the pregnancy, so hopefully you'll time it just right!

I went at 15 weeks. I was still a little nauseous, but hey I was in Disney! There are lots of rides pregnant women can do, and of course all the shows. It was a different trip than we usually take, but I still had a great time,

Don't all 4 year olds just want to swim at the hotel pool anyway? ;) I say if you go just take it easy. Don't stress about riding a ton of rides, take mid-day hotel breaks and spend more time at the pool. Treat it as a relaxing vacation vs. a go, go, go vacation.

But if you find you just aren't looking forward to it I would postpone it, your daughter will be disappointed but I'm sure will get over it quickly and then you can go when you are feeling better. I hope the morning sickness eases up for you.

If you need to rest more than your DH and DD or need to sit out some rides, will you be happy letting just them share some activities and do some father daughter bonding? If you and DH aren't averse to the idea of splitting up for short periods, then hopefully the worst case scenario is you having to find a comfortable spot while they soldier on because you aren't feeling the best.

My second pregnancy was tougher too...but the 5 month mark wasn't rough.

Whether you make the trip or not (I would go ), I hope your morning sickness fades away soon!

I didn't visit the parks pregnant, but I did go on a Disney Cruise in my second trimester (with my third child). I'm one of those people that gets morning sickness, but it's all-day sickness, for the entire 9 months. I'm envious of women with easier pregnancies! If it were me, I would postpone the trip--your DD is young, she'll get over it. You have no way to predict how you'll feel at trip time, and I'd hate to see you go through all that planning and effort and expense, only to wish you'd gone to a beach or something instead. Which might actually be a good idea--go some place relaxing, where you can nap or take it easy as needed.

If you do choose to go, just plan to go at an easy pace. With a 4yo, you probably wouldn't be going rope-drop to fireworks every day, anyway. And one nice thing about WDW is, it's very easy to find a bench and a smoothie place or whatever, relax, watch the sights, and recharge.

FTR, we also went to WDW with a 6mo. It was easier than you might think. We used a baby sling, DH carried him most of the time. We had a stroller as well, but the sling worked best for us--he could watch the world at a higher level, and when he got tired/fussy, we kind of pulled the sling up to give him a little cocoon, blocking out the sights, so he could sleep. We could do most rides with him in the sling (obviously not the thrill rides, but there we used the baby swap).

I went to Disney when I was 5 months pregnant in 2014. I was miserable, but in all fairness, it was August and I was huge and uncomfortable (3rd pregnancy). I swelled in places that I didn't know could swell. :crazy2:

That being said, you're going in February, so you'll probably have it a bit easier than I did weather-wise.:goodvibes

I'm due next Thursday and we visited Disney a few times while pregnant. Needless to say, I was pretty wiped out by the end of the day and we didn't even do that much (FL residents who visits frequently so we don't mind missing attractions, skipping fireworks, etc). We definitely moved slower and took it easy. It was always still nice but certainly more exhausting than not!

I was fortunate: no morning sickness at all during my pregnancy but the fatigue, especially at Disney, was REAL.

I've been to Disney 3 times pregnant: once in the first trimester and twice in the 2nd trimester. For me, all of the trips were a great success. Every pregnancy is different, however. I never got severe nausea but by 15 weeks, my persistent but mild nausea was gone during each of my pregnancies. I didn't struggle with fatigue or swelling, and two of those trips I was carrying around a toddler for a good portion of the time, including a 40 minute wait for the Haunted Mansion during which he slept on my shoulder in 90 degree heat. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to go again while pregnant. At 4, I think you could push the trip later if you're worried without your older child fully realizing the delay. I'm in the camp that loves taking babies to Disney, however.

I hear what some of you are saying about every pregnancy being different. I did travel a few times during my first pregnancy, but this time I feel much more tired and sick in general. However I don’t really want to reschedule the trip since I probably won’t want to go with a newborn either. If anything we might also do a Disney Cruise next year with the baby.

Anyway thanks for all your input! It made me feel more positive about it. My husband is willing to take our daughter to the pool or on some rides while I take a rest in the middle of the day if need be. There are a fair amount of rides I can’t go on anyway that my daughter and husband would probably like to go on. We are staying at Poly for the first time, so if anything we can have a resort day or two. I am thinking I may go and cancel some of our dining reservations so we are not as scheduled.

I hear what some of you are saying about every pregnancy being different. I did travel a few times during my first pregnancy, but this time I feel much more tired and sick in general. However I don’t really want to reschedule the trip since I probably won’t want to go with a newborn either. If anything we might also do a Disney Cruise next year with the baby.

Anyway thanks for all your input! It made me feel more positive about it. My husband is willing to take our daughter to the pool or on some rides while I take a rest in the middle of the day if need be. There are a fair amount of rides I can’t go on anyway that my daughter and husband would probably like to go on. We are staying at Poly for the first time, so if anything we can have a resort day or two. I am thinking I may go and cancel some of our dining reservations so we are not as scheduled.

If the nausea is super bad, definitely talk to the doc sooner rather than later, promethazine worked wonders for me. I went to NYC like 6 months pregnant and looking back that was the best I felt the entire pregnancy. It was like this small window where I felt like a person, so hopefully it will work out that way for you.

Remember that you only have to cancel ADRs 24 hours in advance, so you can definitely play it by ear when you get there. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better and you can enjoy your trip!

I have gone 30 weeks pregnant and it was challenging but fun and I never regretted it (though I was nervous about it as the trip got closer).

Hopefully by then the nausea subsides and energy picks up a bit, that is usually the case for me at least.

I went at six months pregnant and we planned everything around me & baby. We purposefully scheduled in a time right after lunch to go back to the resort and rest for at least two hours. It allowed me to re-energize. Also, don't forget about the baby centers at each park. They were awesome! I would go and just rock in the chairs with my feet up when I felt nauseous or too tired. I was pleasantly surprised at the kindness CM and other guests showed me. I never stood on the bus rides. ;-)

And don't forget to get a belly picture in front of the castle. We returned this year with my DS being 9 months old and I took a picture of just me and him then put the belly picture and the new picture side by side in a frame. It's one of my favorites. :-)
WDW2017.jpg

And don't forget to get a belly picture in front of the castle. We returned this year with my DS being 9 months old and I took a picture of just me and him then put the belly picture and the new picture side by side in a frame. It's one of my favorites. :-)
View attachment 283331

Aww love that photo! That's a great idea. Hopefully I can remember to do that too.

I also like the idea of scheduling time to rest in the middle of the day. The only problem with that is that my daughter may not want to rest. I think I'll look into what sort of afternoon activities go on at Poly and maybe my husband can take around the resort for a while.

I also like the idea of scheduling time to rest in the middle of the day. The only problem with that is that my daughter may not want to rest. I think I'll look into what sort of afternoon activities go on at Poly and maybe my husband can take around the resort for a while.

I don't know how old your other DD is but mine were 7 & 3 so they were ready to rest when we did. I was actually surprised that most days they fell asleep. Other times they would watch a show or movie with my DH while I slept. Checking the resort activity schedule is a good idea too! That would give you quiet in the room.

I went at six months pregnant and we planned everything around me & baby. We purposefully scheduled in a time right after lunch to go back to the resort and rest for at least two hours. It allowed me to re-energize. Also, don't forget about the baby centers at each park. They were awesome! I would go and just rock in the chairs with my feet up when I felt nauseous or too tired. I was pleasantly surprised at the kindness CM and other guests showed me. I never stood on the bus rides. ;-)

View attachment 283331
Oh my gosh that is such a cute idea, wish I had done that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!