Have you ever traveled to a restaurant featured in a movie or series?

Shellsbutt

DIS Veteran
The thread on favorite chain restaurants got me thinking of this, so this is sort of a spin-off. Just this summer, my husband and I traveled back east for the first time. We were in Boston, so of course I had to make the trek to Cheers bar. I absolutely loved that show growing up! Alot of tourists had the same idea, so it was pretty crowded but I did manage to take a few pictures of the sign outside. Supposedly, that is the only thing authentic because the filming took place on a set at Paramount Studios. They have a replica bar inside and a gift shop, of course! I had to buy a t shirt. On this same trip, we also visited Newport Rhode Island and I had the bright idea to drive over to Mystic Ct to check out Mystic Pizza. It was a scenic drive and took just about an hour to get there. We could now check CT off our list of states but wish we had more time to spend there. Downtown Mystic was really cute and went into quite a few shops but everything is so expensive. I did get the shirt at Mystic Pizza that they wear in the movie.

I often go to the Jekyll Island Club Hotel which was used in many scenes in Bagger Vance. If you take a tour of the hotel the person giving the tour is full of stories about the cast.

There is a local bar here in Athens that was featured in a film with Justin Timberlake, I think it was the baseball movie.

There are many spots here in Athens that were in a very short run TV show with Shaun Cassidy. Many of our bars and restaurants can be seen in REM videos.

Not sure if this counts, but we stopped in Rouleau, Saskatchewan aka "Dog River" one time to see "The Ruby" diner from Corner Gas. You can't actually eat at the diner, but you can get ice cream at the "police station" from the show, which is in town. Sadly, I believe they have bulldozed the set now that the series and movie are done.

The thread on favorite chain restaurants got me thinking of this, so this is sort of a spin-off. Just this summer, my husband and I traveled back east for the first time. We were in Boston, so of course I had to make the trek to Cheers bar. I absolutely loved that show growing up! Alot of tourists had the same idea, so it was pretty crowded but I did manage to take a few pictures of the sign outside. Supposedly, that is the only thing authentic because the filming took place on a set at Paramount Studios. They have a replica bar inside and a gift shop, of course! I had to buy a t shirt. On this same trip, we also visited Newport Rhode Island and I had the bright idea to drive over to Mystic Ct to check out Mystic Pizza. It was a scenic drive and took just about an hour to get there. We could now check CT off our list of states but wish we had more time to spend there. Downtown Mystic was really cute and went into quite a few shops but everything is so expensive. I did get the shirt at Mystic Pizza that they wear in the movie.

It was the Bull & Finch Pub. DH and I also stopped in the pub while touring in Boston.

We visited Astoria, Oregon, where The Goonies was filmed. We saw the Goonies house and ate in the bowling alley shown in the beginning of the movie. That's probably the most "famous" place we've ever sought out. We've lived in Austin and Nashville, so we've "accidentally" eaten at famous places, and when my husband travels for work he seeks out places we've seen on Food Network. Some of them are worth it, some aren't. ;)

Edited to add: We also lived right next to Senoia, GA (where Walking Dead is filmed). We had our family photos taken in downtown, and ate at several places while we lived there. We don't even watch the show, so I couldn't tell you which of the show storefronts they are.

Last edited:
Yes, the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We stayed in the hotel in 1981 and had dinner in the dining room. The movie "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymour, Christopher Reeve and Christopher Plummer was filmed on the island and in the hotel and dining room.

The Smokehouse in Burbank, CA. Not because it was in a movie - which it was, lots, most recently LaLa Land - but because it was supposed to be a favorite of Frank Sinatra's.

We ate at Mystic Pizza. We were in town and my daughter was dying to try it, though she had never seen the movie.

It was ehhh. Give me NY pizza any day.

The only one that comes to my mind is in reverse. An old boyfriend and I took a trip to Austin, and he became enamored of the Texas Chili Parlor. We visited multiple times during that trip and subsequent trips.

Several years later, we saw that restaurant used as the setting for a Quentin Tarantino movie. I had forgotten which one, but google tells me it was Death Proof.

Off the top of my head, I've been to Cheers (at Faneuil Hall), Mystic Pizza, Serendipity in NYC, and Wahlburgers. I have also been to several places featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives in the Southeastern, MA/RI area.

Been to Tom's Restaurant in NYC, better known as Monk's Cafe from the TV show Seinfeld (and also I think was in an episode of the Bionic Woman many many years ago). It was a must do for several of the people we were traveling with.

Yes, the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We stayed in the hotel in 1981 and had dinner in the dining room. The movie "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymour, Christopher Reeve and Christopher Plummer was filmed on the island and in the hotel and dining room.

I didn't realize that movie was filmed there. How about that?

Serendipity in New York didn't live up to the hype.

Loved the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.

We tried one of the "Diners and Dives" restaurants in Phoenix -- tables were wedged together too tightly and the place was way too noisy. Also went to the Red Iguana in SLC. Great Mexican food.

Not sure if this counts, but we've been to a bunch of places we saw on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
I love watching Triple D, sometimes I have to mute it when Guy gets on my nerves though. I've looked at the website and there are quite a few I wouldn't mind trying. The only one I can think of in the Sacramento area-Gatsby's Diner, closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter