Has anyone started your taxes yet?

We own our own business so I just sent everything to the preparer. Since I am freak about that stuff I made sure our employees received their W2’s last week. Waiting on a few forms and then will be done! I’m expecting a return:D

I’m mostly done need to enter all my donations. We are getting a refund this year. For us it has to do with the timing of the income. We got bonuses and stock awards the last three weeks of the year and they are all withheld at the supplemental rate. Which is hard to plan for when you are never sure if they will happen

I never understand how people can file before updated tax forms are even available? My understanding is that the forms online aren't even updated yet and the official date for tax season to start this year is Jan 29th. And that is info from before this shutdown.

I never understand how people can file before updated tax forms are even available? My understanding is that the forms online aren't even updated yet and the official date for tax season to start this year is Jan 29th. And that is info from before this shutdown.
It depends on how complicated your taxes will be and what information you need.

There are people that have access to their end of the year pay stubs which should have the pertinent information. If that's all you needed you're golden. You can also file an admendment if your w-2s come out and for whatever reason information differs.

For my student loans the Federal and one of my private loans was available 1/1/18 online (in fact the private loan I only had til Jan 17th to view it online--they will still mail me my docs though) while my other private loan is the document I'm waiting on. It comes out usually the 20th or so of Jan each tax year so it should be there for me to view today I would think.

Our mortgage documents are available online very quickly.

But aren't you still filing on forms that may still have updates to come? If the IRS says the season doesn't open this year until the 29th, couldn't their forms still change?

But aren't you still filing on forms that may still have updates to come? If the IRS says the season doesn't open this year until the 29th, couldn't their forms still change?
It all depends on what you are needing. For years my husband has filed with just his end of the year paycheck and his student loans docs have always been available quicker than mine (though he only had 2 loan servicers and now only has one since he consolidated). When I worked at the insurance company a special pay stub was available at the end of the year which showed all your year to date stuff (including your state and federal income taxes, your 401K deductions, your charity donations, etc) and would be accurate due to how the pay periods worked however your pay stubs also showed a running total anyways. But either way you could sign up at the insurance company to view your tax docs online and those were available very quickly.

We always file in Jan whenever possible as long as our documents became available. It was very important to get it in as quick as possible when I was in college for FAFSA purposes as my alma mater had like a mid-Feb priority date for funds deadline.

I'm not talking about YOUR documents, the IRS says THEIR documents for the 2017 tax year are not final until Jan 29th this year. Doesn't that mean their documents could still change?

I always filed immediately and revised for FAFSA. Their form opens Jan 1. That's different than filing taxes before all the IRS forms are finalized for the year. In the case of my own personal forms, I have documents that are telling me they won't be ready on line until Feb. 1. I can find most of the numbers and do the math myself, but wouldn't want to do the paperwork anyway until I'm sure the IRS isn't going to change any of THEIR forms. Everything I've read says tax season starts Jan 29th this year, so I'm just surprised so many people are filing early.

We never get around to it until end of February or early March, but we usually owe instead of get a refund. Like many others here, I'd rather keep more money in my own system year round rather than the IRS hold it and give it to me as a refund.

Last edited:
Started inputting ours into TaxAct today. Still waiting on quite a bit of info. Owed last year, we were in no hurry to hit send.

Made withholding adjustments this year. We'll see if it works for us. So far we show a nice refund.

Just started our folder of tax "stuff". Our oldest DS or middle DS does them, whomever comes home at some point in Feb to do them. :)

I'm not talking about YOUR documents, the IRS says THEIR documents for the 2017 tax year are not final until Jan 29th this year. Doesn't that mean their documents could still change?

I always filed immediately and revised for FAFSA. Their form opens Jan 1. That's different than filing taxes before all the IRS forms are finalized for the year. In the case of my own personal forms, I have documents that are telling me they won't be ready on line until Feb. 1. I can find most of the numbers and do the math myself, but wouldn't want to do the paperwork anyway until I'm sure the IRS isn't going to change any of THEIR forms. Everything I've read says tax season starts Jan 29th this year, so I'm just surprised so many people are filing early.
We never get around to it until end of February or early March, but we usually owe instead of get a refund. Like many others here, I'd rather keep more money in my own system year round rather than the IRS hold it and give it to me as a refund.

Well I got this from Turbo Tax yesterday:
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Be one of the first
to get a refund
spacer.gif

TurboTax is accepting e-files. Start today!

The IRS had the forms I needed ready on January 18. I filed through turbo tax.

Oh, so everyone here that has "filed" has done it to their software provider, not the IRS system. That makes more sense.

Oh, so everyone here that has "filed" has done it to their software provider, not the IRS system. That makes more sense.

Yes i filed thru turbo tax. Mine was accepted by the IRS within a few hours of me filing on Friday 1/19 but won’t be processed until January 29 when IRS opens.

I’m a very simple return so once my W2 came in i filed. It took me 20 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter