Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

Currently working on our second set of bands. Excited to see them finished. Love seeing all the other ways people have decorated their bands.

We have 15 days to go and have never painted a Magic Band before...so today we spent about 4 hours decorating all our old Magic Bands as "practice" for our real Magic Band 2.0. So much fun! Great family bonding! We used nail polish and acrylic paint for everything. Will they hold up in the parks???

Thanks!

Amy

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 145
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 142
We have 15 days to go and have never painted a Magic Band before...so today we spent about 4 hours decorating all our old Magic Bands as "practice" for our real Magic Band 2.0. So much fun! Great family bonding! We used nail polish and acrylic paint for everything. Will they hold up in the parks???

Thanks!

Amy

I still have old bands that I used nail polish on and they have some cracking, (mostly around the holes) but overall they have held up well. One that I wear a lot has a little chipping where the band bends to go around my wrist. I think taking it on and off has added stress on those parts. We are AP who live near, so they get used a lot.

I do feel feel like the acrylic is more flexible and holds up better. I used it on a couple of my old bands before I bought acrylic leather paint. I have had no problems with MB 2.0 with the acrylic leather paints that I used....so far no sign of wear. I haven't used nail polish on the MB 2.0. They are not the same material as the originals, and are a lot more flexible,(in addition to being hotter/sweatier to wear) so it seems like adherence and cracking could potentially be an issue. Either that, or it is somehow a magically better surface for nail polish....I haven't figured it out yet. lol

Thanks!

Amy

I'd put 2-3 layers of matte mod podge over them, but it should be ok!

I have only ever used nail polish on all my decorated bands. I always keep my eyes peeled for a good base coat to use, I've found it difficult to find just a "base" coat. The one that I've used most often is see through but is an orange tint. It has never made a difference in the final outcome, thus I keep using it. I usually put one coat of base coat, decorate however I plan, then "seal" it with the same base coat paint. I usually end up doing 2 or 3 top or sealer coats, as I often use tattoos and want them to be well covered. As for the holes, I just paint right over them and generally they don't get clogged with paint, if they do, I use a toothpick just like you mentioned. I hope that helps!

Which brand of nail polish do you use for the base coat? We always use nail polish to paint but stopped using a base coat because they all started cracking.

I do exactly what Tod&CopperFan posts below.

Same question - which brand of nail polish do you use for the base coat. We had used Sinful but it cracks.

Thanks! I used Ultra Fine Point Paint Markers. I will probably spray over it with a matte acrylic to make sure it doesn't get scratched up.

You band was wonderful. Can I ask how it made it through your trip with the matte acrylic spray? Did it crack at all? Thanks so much for your help. We are trying to figure out how to seal the band.

I spent some time looking at movie stills and creating little cartoon interpretations of each character on paper first. Then I used paint markers and freehanded the characters on the band. I did not do a base coat and I have not yet applied a top coat. I plan to use a spray-on acrylic sealer on both the Star Wars one and the Small World one. Leaving for Disney in 5.5 days! So excited to try them out and see how they hold up!

UPDATE ON HOW THEY HELD UP:
Our Disney trip lasted 8 days. We each had a 7 day Park Hopper ticket, stayed at the Poly, and used the band for all of our purchases. I would estimate over 100 taps each over our entire trip. So that is a lot of tapping against the RFID readers. (I suppose I don't actually have to touch the reader to get it to read, but that is what feels natural so that is what we did). I used 3 layers of Acrylic sealer spray over my designs.

SMALL WORLD BAND
No issues with cracking. Only 2 spots show small signs of wear. I tend to grab anything on my wrist and fidget with it or move it around so the location where my thumb grabs the band has some wear. The removable puck has no design painted on the Mickey logo (only in the recessed area around it) but I still used acrylic spray over it. I think I will remove the puck and just spray the band next time if there is no raised design. Tapping against the reader wore away some of the sealer from the puck but since there is no design it is not noticeable unless you are looking up close.

STAR WARS BAND
No issues with cracking. No signs of wear on the band itself which held up great! The removable puck, being a different texture than the band and constantly being tapped against a reader for 8 days, received a bit of damage to the design. This will be really easy to touch up and fix for a future trip but is something to note.

Overall, the designs held up best on the band portion. The puck portion is a hard, lightly stippled plastic with a glossy textured plastic on the Mickey logo. The glossy texture combined with the tapping caused the most wear on the Mickey logo.

Our trip was lots of fun! I am excited to see more of everyone's designs and experiences with the new Magicband 2.0!

IMG_1665_zpslrquytbi.jpg

fullsizeoutput_cea_zpsblnhipnc.jpeg

Thank you so much for the update - they look great for all that time in Disney.

Completed my first two Magic Band 2.0's just in time for an upcoming trip to WDW. I love the additional painting surface, but that led to attempting more complicated subjects than I typically try. I'm hoping my eyesight will return to normal by rope drop this weekend...:rolleyes2

View attachment 248753

These look phenomenal. What did you use to make the straight lines? A paint brush? They are so straight. Great job!

Thanks!

Amy

These are great. Did you put something on the top to seal them?

You band was wonderful. Can I ask how it made it through your trip with the matte acrylic spray? Did it crack at all? Thanks so much for your help. We are trying to figure out how to seal the band.
I used a clear top coat nail polish (2x) over my two coats of glittery polish. It held up great during the trip and didn't crack at all. I practiced on an old magic band first.

I used a clear top coat nail polish (2x) over my two coats of glittery polish. It held up great during the trip and didn't crack at all. I practiced on an old magic band first.

So you didn't use the acrylic spray on the top? We used Sinful clear polish and the last 2 years they really started cracking. We are trying to go without the top coat and just acrylic spray. We will see how it works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter