Harry Potter Express Pass Wait Times?

mikejuliestl

Mouseketeer
Just curious what people have seen wrt wait times for Express Pass holders on the Harry Potter rides? Bonus points if you recall the regular line times as compared to the EP lines!

Thanks!!!

Just left. Regular was about 90 minutes ep took maybe 20 minutes because the person up front wasn't moving it along- all other times we rode wait was minimal. And times were always in the 75-120 area

Thanks! Told the kids they added these to Express Pass and they were super excited. Hopefully the Christmas crowds don't do too much to those EP wait times!

I was at UO two weeks ago.

From the London side, we encountered two HE Express procedures during our trip. Our first two times on the HE, the express line went straight up to the station without any merge with the regular line. On our last trip, they merged the express at the stairs that go up to the tracks. This meant we saw the train leave twice before we boarded, whereas we boarded immediately when the express line went directly to the tracks. So a 20 minute wait versus 5 minutes.

Last edited:

I know the Express Pass line will skip the cool queue parts in Gringotts and Forbidden Journey, so we will go on each of those standby once. What about Hogwarts Express? Do any of the cool interactive queue moments/decorations get skipped with an express pass?

I know the Express Pass line will skip the cool queue parts in Gringotts and Forbidden Journey, so we will go on each of those standby once. What about Hogwarts Express? Do any of the cool interactive queue moments/decorations get skipped with an express pass?
Nothing is really skipped in Gringotts. In FJ you go through the rooms quickly, but you go through them.

You miss the 'walk into the wall' thing on the London side of HE if they have express going directly to the tracks, but you go through it if they do the other procedure I mentioned above.

So are there any rides now that don't have EP other than Pteranodon Flyers?

Any updates to this? T-14 days and we will be there! Kids are also curious how much time we can save with the EP on the Potter rides.

At 10:30am today, the EP line from US to IOA was almost walk on. Virtually no wait at all. At about 2:45pm, the EP line from IOA to US was about 10 minutes (with most of that time waiting to get our multi-park passes verified. After that, we walked up with one train leaving and we were on the next train out.

Sorry didn't think to check on the regular line waits. If I ride either direction tomorrow, I'll try to remember to ask about the regular line waits.

Any updates to this? T-14 days and we will be there! Kids are also curious how much time we can save with the EP on the Potter rides.

It saved us so much time and was really nice on the HE because it made hopping so much easier. We had the merge prior to the stairs on the London side which is kind of nice so you don’t miss the wall and photo ops in front of the engine. We waited maybe 15 mins the 5 days before Thsnksgiving. Stby times were 30-45 mins. The Hogsmeade side was right to the platform (although we had a stroller so had to use the elevator which may have cut down our wait a bit) so 5 mins there. FG and EfG were 10-15 with stby of 30-40 mins. FotH was walk on to 10 most times with stby 20 to 50 mins. We did have one 20 min wait at FotH because they were having problems with the ride.

I soooo love EP. Sooooooo spoiled. It is awesome for the HP rides. :love:

Just be aware that the EP line is not well marked. DH and I ended up waiting in the regular line for at least an hour before we noticed people walking way ahead and going up stairs. We literally climbed through the ropes at that point with people glaring at us.

It seems the rule of thumb for EP Wait Times with the exception of Despicable Me, will be between one quarter and one-third the regular wait time (https://goo.gl/JKf8k8). So if the regular line is 90 minutes, expect the Express Pass line to be 20-30 minutes. Despicable Me will be more like half the regular wait time.

But something tells me during Christmas the EP lines may be a little longer than usualy, though UO jacked up the EP prices significantly during this week, likely to limit the amount of EPs. Though it's still possible that EPs can sell out for the day ($140/person/day 2-park Add On).

All I have been reading is that the EP is HIGHLY recommended during any of UO's busiest times. I also took a look at the regular line wait time history for last year's Christmas (touringplans.com) to see how long we would likely have to wait on the regular lines (see below). Last year's observed regular line wait times, plus the cost of the EPs as an add-on, coupled with Christmas being one of THE busiest times at UO, we heeded the recommendation and bit the bullet to stay on property at RPR which includes EP.

Observed Regular (Non-Express Pass) wait times 12/25/16:
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, USF, Diagon Alley, Avg=53 mins, Peak=120 mins @ 3pm
Hogwarts Express – King’s Cross Station, USF, Diagon Alley, Avg=29 mins, Peak=65mins @ 3pm
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, IOA, Hogsmeade, Avg=45 mins, Peak=90 @ 10:30am
Hogwarts Express – Hogsmeade Station, IOA, Hogsmeade, Avg=14, Peak=60 @ 3:45pm

Observed Regular (Non-Express Pass) wait times 12/26/16:
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, USF, Diagon Alley, Avg=72 mins, Peak=120 mins @ 3pm
Hogwarts Express – King’s Cross Station, USF, Diagon Alley, Avg=40 mins, Peak=100 mins @ 10:30am & 120 mins @ 3pm
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, IOA, Hogsmeade, Avg=65 mins, Peak=75 @ 11am
Hogwarts Express – Hogsmeade Station, IOA, Hogsmeade, Avg=29, Peak=60 @ 3pm

Observed Regular (Non-Express Pass) wait times 12/27/16:
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, USF, Diagon Alley, Avg=111 mins, Peak=120 mins @ 12:30pm
Hogwarts Express – King’s Cross Station, USF, Diagon Alley, Avg=42 mins, Peak= 120 @ 11am
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, IOA, Hogsmeade, Avg=95 mins, Peak=100 mins @ 12:30am
Hogwarts Express – Hogsmeade Station, IOA, Hogsmeade, Avg=35, Peak=75 @ 5pm

We just got back.. We were there 12/3-7. Almost every line was a walk on with EP. I know that starting this weekend it will be more crowded each day as the holidays arrive. Personally I feel the EP is worth it always (we stay on site).

Since both HP areas are the furthest from the the park entrances, being able to to ride HE back and forth is a huge time (and feet) saver.

Avoid hogsmeade from 6 to 6:45. Packed like sardines. Later shows are MUCH better. Park closed at 7 each night we were there and they ran a show at 7:00 and 7:15 each night.

sorry, maybe i missed it, but what show are you referring to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter