Happy 60th Anniversary Ford Mustang

Tangent story alert:

I had a friend who had a 1983 or 1984 Camaro with a V8 (carb. and circular air cleaner/intake). He wanted forced induction so bad, that he removed the air cleaner housing, torched out a second rectangular hole and then removed the OEM air intake. He then took dryer ductwork and attached it with clamps to the air cleaner on both sides. But where would he grab inducted air from since the hood had no vents?

Who needs high beams? He removed his high-beam headlamps and somehow got a somewhat non-direct flow into the air cleaner assembly. He put screens in place where the headlights were to try and do "some" filtering. I don't remember if it made a HP difference, but have to think he had to tweak the rich/lean on that carb. quite a bit.

Every time I see a newer Mustang, I'm always amazed that the current Mustang is, and has been for many years the same look (though larger) as the original '65 2+2 Fastback. It's looked like that except for a few years, maybe 30 years ago, when I think Mustang' lost its styling way' for a number of years. What a classic original.

Tangent story alert:

I had a friend who had a 1983 or 1984 Camaro with a V8 (carb. and circular air cleaner/intake). He wanted forced induction so bad, that he removed the air cleaner housing, torched out a second rectangular hole and then removed the OEM air intake. He then took dryer ductwork and attached it with clamps to the air cleaner on both sides. But where would he grab inducted air from since the hood had no vents?

Who needs high beams? He removed his high-beam headlamps and somehow got a somewhat non-direct flow into the air cleaner assembly. He put screens in place where the headlights were to try and do "some" filtering. I don't remember if it made a HP difference, but have to think he had to tweak the rich/lean on that carb. quite a bit.
Yeah, I frequent the local Cars and Coffee on Sunday morning. You see some interesting modifications that took some skill and knowledge to pull off. Chevy engine hooked to a Chrysler transmission hooked to a Ford rear end.
My favorite the the guy with a Studebaker pickup with an iron as the hood ornament. Yes, as in an iron you would use to iron your clothing, complete with cord.

My dad restored Mustangs when I was a child in the late 1970s. One of my earliest memories is cleaning the Pony interior of a 1965 convertible with a toothbrush and a bottle of Fantastik.

All through high school, I drove a 1966 coupe. In college, I upgraded to a 1967 convertible. When I got my first "professional" job after graduation and needed a reliable car, I moved to a Fox body.

I had to give up Mustangs for a few years after marriage when we lived in the mountains and I needed a four-wheel drive. But, in 1999, my husband won a car in a raffle - a Mustang. And we've had a Mustang ever since. I upgraded to a GT convertible in 2007. And, most recently, I bought the 50th anniversary GT premium convertible in 2015. She's my daily driver with 56,000 miles, and I plan to keep her for years to come.

I am toying with the idea of buying a restored '66 convertible (silver blue), because it's my dream car - and why not? :-) Mustangs are in my DNA.

Last edited:

In a fitting tribute to the 60th Anniversary,Michael McDowell put the legendary Ford Mustang on the Pole at the World's Fastest Superspeedway for tomorrow's GEICO 500 at Talladega.

1713630133173.png

Last edited:
The Ford drivers are saying pre-race they want to put the Mustang in Victory Lane today at Talladega for the 60th Birthday.

Hopefully the Mustangs can dodge The Big One!

McDowell got wrecked just before the Finish Line allowing a Camry to win.

But it was Michael Jordan's Camry so that's pretty cool.

Did I miss the salute to the 60th anniversary of Corvairs? :tilt:

My first love, wish I had a place where I could have stored it until I could (have someone) restore it.

With the engine in the rear it went up and down snowy Syracuse hills when I was in college.

IMG_4737.jpeg

But to return to the topic at hand, my second car, 1970 Mustang, which was never the same after my (then) boyfriend and it were in an accident.

IMG_4739.jpeg

And to be clear, despite evidence to the contrary, I'm not old. Just the cars were. :rolleyes1

Did I miss the salute to the 60th anniversary of Corvairs? :tilt:

My first love, wish I had a place where I could have stored it until I could (have someone) restore it.

With the engine in the rear it went up and down snowy Syracuse hills when I was in college.

View attachment 854081

But to return to the topic at hand, my second car, 1970 Mustang, which was never the same after my (then) boyfriend and it were in an accident.

View attachment 854082

And to be clear, despite evidence to the contrary, I'm not old. Just the cars were. :rolleyes1
The 60th anniversary of the Corvair was back in 2019 . It went on sale July 7, 1959.

Those things were awful in the snow. I have fond memories when I was a kid seeing them in the mountains when it was snowing and with all the weight over the rear drive wheels, the rear end would start pulling ahead of the front because there wasn't any weight on the front so you couldn't steer the car. I remember my dad and other drivers getting out and "helping" one Corvair driver who was basically going in circles trying to go up a snow covered hill, blocking the road, and preventing everyone else from getting by. They pushed it off the road so cars could get by.
I worked on them in High School, as our Principal had 3 and he had the auto shop classes rebuild the engines in all three.
We have a Corvair club here that comes out every Sunday for Cars and Coffee. You can tell when they leave from the cloud of blue smoke!

I doubt there are ANY parts from a production vehicle used by NASCAR. They all have tubular steel chassis for safety, engines developed for racing and the exterior body panels are made from fiberglass to 'look' like the car they are named after. If you ever near enough to one to notice the difference you can easily tell things like headlights & taillights are all decals.

I doubt there are ANY parts from a production vehicle used by NASCAR. They all have tubular steel chassis for safety, engines developed for racing and the exterior body panels are made from fiberglass to 'look' like the car they are named after. If you ever near enough to one to notice the difference you can easily tell things like headlights & taillights are all decals.
Absolutely. Long gone are the days of automakers building a few hundred very high performance cars just to satisfy stock car racing rules that the cars being raced could actually be purchased by the general public. You know, 409 Chevys and the like. And generally speaking those cars were awful to drive on the street.

Yeah, WRC rally racing is one of the few racing series that have relatively "stock" vehicles that have, or had homologation for regular people recently. I haven't followed rally racing that closely lately to know if it's still the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter