Hampton Inn Maingate West

Emme

DIS Veteran
What can you all tell me about this property. I got a rate of $58 a night for the week before Easter. I know they have fridges in the room, microwaves..., but how was it to actually stay there? Please we are trying to figure out where to stay and this one actually looks quite good...What's your input? Thanks!

I have never stayed there, but a couple at my church have. They really liked it. He said that it was a typical Hampton Inn room. I have never stayed at one, so I don't know but they really liked it. They stay there in the spring and go watch the Braves train.

I've used Hamptons before and they have always been good choices. They usually offer the free breakfast too. My parents and sister might have stayed at the Hampton you're referring to, if its off I4 exit 25, I believe, then its a very beautiful Hampton. Request 1st floor as there were little patios, a nice pool and basketball court. I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the info, has anyone actually stayed there personally? I would love to know your personal experiences with this hotel! Thanks!!

Orlando Hotels and Attractions board because I do recall several exceptional reviews from guests who have actually stayed at this particular property; hope this helps.

Emme,

Hi! The three of us (including wife, daughter - 16 y/o) stayed there for 8 days back during the second week of June and LOVED it!!

We took advantage of the full continental breakfast everyday .. it had just about anything you could want - cereals (3 or 4 kinds), Krispy Creme donuts, muffins, bananas, apples, oranges, prepackaged hot cereals (flavored oatmeal), milk, coffee, orange and apple juices, etc ... nice start to the day besides saving you $$$$ first thing in the morning. There was also a sign in the lobby advertising fresh hot cookies (of the chocolate chip variety) at either 8 or 8:30 p.m.. We never made it back from the parks that early, so I couldn't comment on the quality of those any further.

The pool seemed to be on the smallish side (there was a cheerleading competion going on in Orlando while we were there - consequently, the pool was full of girls every day), but very enjoyable anyway. Again, we never found quite enough time for a lengthy stay at the pool with everything else going on :D

We were most impressed with the Housekeeping staff. One day, toward the end of our stay, I had to bring my wife back to the room from Epcot very early ... seems she got some sort
of 'bug' for 24 hrs ... anyway, the Head of Housekeeping - a nice 60-ish lady, saw us out in the lobby and asked about her. She offered to bring my wife something to settle her stomach. I really thought that that was a nice touch.
The rooms were always kept very clean and the staff was willing to bring us extra towels if we needed.

Yes, our room had the Microfridge and mini-microwave. If you're planning on keeping anything cold for a long period, I'd recommend getting a styrofoam ice chest, as the 'freezer' part of the fridge was rather tiny.

One thing that we liked about the Maingate West was that it's located off the 'beaten path'. No traffic going by your room at 2 in the morning!!!

Something even better than that is that the hotel is located literally one-half mile from the WDW exit!!:bounce: :bounce: I timed it as my wife drove from the hotel parking lot to the parking lots of MK, Disney-MGM, and Epcot during the week and from point A to point B --> 7 minutes!! Now, we were early risers, mind you, and we were there about an hour before the parks opened, PLUS this was with construction going on in the middle of the highway! It seemed like everyone else had the same idea!

We (especially my wife) were all in agreement that on our return trip to WDW (whenever that may be) that we would definately stay at the Hampton Inn Maingate West.

Oh, yeah - for our stay of 8 days during the second week of June '01, our rate was $79/night, so yours sounds pretty good!

Enjoy your stay!!

(Sorry this was so long!):wave:

THANK YOU! Thanks soooo much William. I am even more excited now about my upcoming trip after your super review! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I can't wait to get down and see Mickey! I also noticed on a map there is a back way to get into Disney by the hotel...Sherberth Rd? It looks like it runs into AK. Did you ever use this?

Thanks again!

Emmy

We reserved this several months ago via a Hilton Honors points redemption. It cost us 85,000 points for the 5 day stay (12/29 to 1/3). I don't know how much it would actually cost during that time, but the max rate on the door was $299/nite!

We arrived saturday at 1:30pm but the room was not quite ready (check in is not until 4pm) but there are lots of restaurants and shops close by. By 2:15 our room was ready. It is a nice 5 story facility. We had a room on the ground floor, just beyond the elevators. Did not notice any noise, but we were also exausted at the end of each day!!

They did have breakfast from 6-10am. Cereals, KK Donuts (YUMMM!!), sweet rolls, toaster waffles, bagles and bread for toasting. Coffee, apple and orange juice, hot cocoa packets,whole and 2% milk. They also vary the pastries daily. We also missed out on the cookies, but my 'world traveler' DH has stayed at other Hamptons and says they are good!

The beds are somewhat smallish for Fulls, and on the short side! I'm 5'5" and with pointed toes I was at the end of the bed! There are 5 drawers to put clothes, part of a entertainment unit and a low credenza. The TV (~19in) has most of the local channels, including Disney info. They also had HBO. The MICROFRIGE consisted of a small microwave (dorm size maybe 0.8cf) and a larger dorm size frige, no freezer really. We had 3 sixpacks of colas, 4 water bottles and a 10 pack of juice packs with room to spare for dinner leftovers! There was also a small round table and 2 chairs. The room was adequately lighted. Regular bath with one sink. It was about the same size at the room we had at Coronado Springs earlier in the month!

Since we went in Dec it was too cold for the pool, but it was a small one.

We found the "back way" into the park from this place. Hampton Inn West is on "Maingate Lane". Just turn left out of the Hampton parking lot. It will go thru what looks like an industrial business area (with speed bumps), but it includes the Disney Merchandising office! It runs into Sherberth(sp?) and you make a right. This road makes a couple of wide turns and ends up on Osceola parkway, just before the entrance to the Animal Kingdom lodge resort. Make a right and your into most parking lots within 5 to 10 minutes!! This was great! Even during park closing, all the traffic was going the opposite direction!! My DH found out this was a road built to accomidate the construction traffic for the Animal Kingdom area. In fact, when returning to the Hampton Inn take the exit to the Animal Kingdom lodge (NOT THE PARK!!) and the traffic light to turn left onto Sherberth at is at the bottom of the hill.

It is a very clean place and the staff is very nice! If we have another short stay we will be here again!!

If you have any other Q's just ask!

Jacquelyn
:D

Emme,

No, we didn't do the Sherberth Rd. shortcut, mainly 'cause we didn't go to AK. I remember it being mentioned a lot this past summer on this forum, though. You may want to execute a 'search' here for it. However, I *think* that it's the first road to your right after you make an immediate right out of the parking lot of the hotel. Shouldn't be a problem finding it easily, as the roads are clearly marked.

One more thing - I can recommend the IHOP located next door to the Hampton Inn. But only for lunch or LATE night; anything going into late afternoon and it gets VERY busy. We decided to have supper (dinner?LOL) there on our final day and ended up sorta disgruntled because of the extremely slow service. But that's a topic for ANOTHER thread ;)

Anything else? Fire away!:cool:

Thank you both so very much! You mentioned shops, and restaurants close by are they within walking distance? Which ones are they? Is there a small store in the Hampton or one close by for milk, bread...We have stayed on site 3 times and off only once so I am a bit apprehensive about not being in Disney. The price seemed right though and it's so close and now that EE is gone in the parks we thought we would try offsite. Also, what did your windows look out at? Thanks for all the info and if you can think of ANYTHING else that might be helpful it would be appreciated. It is always better to go in prepared ;) LOL

Thanks! Emmy

O.K. -

There are two shops within walking distance of the hotel. The typical tourist-type thing ... but my wife LOVED it! :)

The IHOP (International House of Pancakes) is within a 'stone's throw', also. But the nearest grocery store is across the street, and unless you want to take your life in your hands, your best bet is to jump in the car and go across. It was labled something like 'Supermarket' in a greenish sign on the front. Everything you could want that you probably forgot PLUS bread and milk! Now, as I recall, the prices aren't the lowest, but I have seen higher ones.

Back to restaurants - McDonald's for your Big Mac attack is located just down the road a piece from the IHOP, and there are others as well. That's just one I remembered. Also, you'll find a Wal-Mart if you go LEFT out of the parking lot. It IS a small journey to get there - about 8-9 miles, but worth it if you need it. Count on about a 20 min. one-way trip. Don't say I didn't warn you .. but my wife LOVED it! (can you see a trend?!:D )

As for the view- ours looked out on the parking lot. Hey- when calling to make your reservation, ask for a room on the first floor. If you call early enough, I'll bet you get it. We did! And don't make the mistake that I did and book online - if you want to know what happened when I did, email me. I don't want to take up more room and get off-topic. Suffice it to say- when making your reservation, call the hotel direct! NOT the nationwide toll-free number. This will cut down on a LOT of headaches!!

Bye - for now:wave:

HWY 192 is 4 lane, 5 with the turnlanes. It isn't safe for walking.

There is really not any kind of view except for the parking lot. But your purpose for staying there is CLOSENESS to WDW, not scenery.

We ate a Perkins the day we left, about 2 blocks down. Not that great and service was S..L..O..W..!!! I did buy at one of the shoppets across the street for drinks and snacks...and paid the price for it! Come to think of it, it was about the same price as the items at the CSR snack/drink area in the gift shop. Next time I will road trip to Wallyworld, or haul them from home! They have whole and 2% milk available from 6a to 10a and again at cookie time, so just sodas and sandwich fixins is all you should need.

Within sight distance there is a waffle house, dennys, Perkins, Baskin Robins, Circle K, Shoneys (i think).

I'm not sure if your flying or driving in. Either way you could use a car to stop before you arrive at the Hampton Inn. They do have a shuttle that goes to MK but I didn't get much info on it.

We also stayed on the ground floor. You have to use your key card for the outside side doors from the parking lot. The side opposite the pool was not working during our visit.

Hope you enjoy your stay and trip to the World!!

Jacquelyn:D

Thank you both again! I am feeling very optimistic about this hotel after "chatting" with you both! We are driving down from NY (I know, I know) but I have to drop my mom off in SC to our vacation home and then we will leave from there. I have a funny story to share too...I had the rate of 58.90 with Hotel Kingdom and I saw on another site the rate of 55 so I called HK and they honored the rate and now I am paying $54.90 a night :wink: . I am really enjoying this...LOL. Again thank you and if you think of something else please feel free to share!

Emmy :wave: :wave: :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter