Guide to Universal

thanks i figured it could use an update. so should be up to date now.

Watch out Simon Veness! Great thread Rhys, loved seeing all the pics. I have been twice to IOA and there are a few rides I haven't been on so was nice to read about them.

Remember that in all Universal parks you get 10% off food, drinks and merchandise if you present your UK AA card.

I have spent so long planning our trip to the WDW parks that I am guilty of neglecting my plans for IOA and US :rolleyes1 - so this is going to be a huge help, THANKS!!! :cool1:

One question though - we are going 1st July for 2 weeks and I know that the parks are going to be busy - Would you recommend me buying the front of line passes?? If so when, in advance or on the day?? Do you get free passes like at WDW?? :confused3 Okay that's more than one question, but it's late and I need some sleep!!

NP guys glad this is helpful.

Looby Loo - 1st two weeks of july will be busy due to college/uni being out here plus all schools being out in the states but I dont think its likely to get so insanely busy that things will become unbearable (its been a few years since i've been in july. can anyone offer some input?). Naturally times like weekends will be busier but if you plan things right you should be ok.

However If your a little worried why not buy a Express pass booklet in advance from universals website for one day and then go from there. An express pass booklet will get you into the express pass line for each ride Once. The only way to get front of the line is by staying in an onsite universal hotel.

Express passes are the same as disney fast passes. As in you go to a machine infront of a ride with your tickets. swipe the ticket. and you get an allocated fast pass to be used during a time slot. The express pass booklet basically acts as an express pass that can be used once on each ride at any time during the day.

As for which park to buy them for, I'd probably say Islands of adventure as in my experience the rides there tend to build up a far larger queue than Studios. In Studios the only 3 really large queues tend to be the mummy, Men in black(see my single riders tip to get around wait times here), and shrek 3d.

One thing to say though is as july is a peak time you'll find the express pass booklet may cost you upwards of $35 each so you'll need to weigh up the pros and cons.

How many days do you plan to spend in universal?

PS Sorry this is so long hope its not to confusing

**EDIT**

one thing i missed out. Unless the day is going to be a realllly busy one typically you can just buy the express pass booklets on the day

Thanks rhysd2 :goodvibes - I can't seem to find the "pre-order" page for the Express Passes and seeing as though we go in 4 days they wouldn't get to us in time anyway so I will have to keep my fingers crossed that we pick a quieter day.

We will no doubt end up getting the passes when we arrive as Dbf can't stand the sun for too long. I nicknamed him "pilsbury dough guy" :rotfl:

What do you think to a Tuesday (5th)/Wednesday (6th) for IOA? :confused3

if you are going to buy the express booklets then one day should be ample for IoA unless you want to go back and re-ride stuff(i always go back as i cant get enough of universal or disney) and a tuesday/wednesday should be fine (EDIT One thing to bear in mind is the 5th and 6th are directly after july 4th which is a huge deal there so there maybe a greater proportion of people on vacation there. that goes for all parks not just universal). the days to really watch out for are weekends though with the schools out in the USA its still likely to be somewhat busy.

I had a quick browse around www.univacations.com (the website that handles ticket bookings etc) and the phone number to call for express plus passes is 1-800-711-0080 so from england you'd have to ring 001 800 711 0080

the people on the end of that line will be able to book them for you and they should give you the option of picking them up from the ticketing/services window by the ticket turnstyles. Just make sure you:
1. tell them you want to pick them up.
2. take the card with you that you paid for them on.
3. take some other form of ID to prove your you (passport or photocard driving licence is preferable.)

Also the people on the end of that line will be able to tell you what days there are passes available for, for both parks etc.

Hope that helps. Any further questions just ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter