Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stayed at Coronado with my family from 5/19-5/26 and no one ever came to our room for a room check (not while we were there, anyway).

Our room was always cleaned by the time we returned in the afternoon or early evening and we had towel animals nightly.

The only time I thought we might be intruded upon was after I reported to the front desk that there was a gigantic brownish-black insect in my sink that scared the crap out of me. The front desk cast member informed me that it was a palmetto bug and she would send someone up to spray the room.

I don't know if someone came in to spray or not. I do know that I never saw another bug.

Housekeeping and security were always very pleasant.

Just got back from a split stay, Poly Standard Studio 5/19-5/22 then YC 5/22-5/26. Happy to report we had no issues with the room check. We did have daily housekeeping at both resorts (DVC stay was a cash stay). We were out of the room some days before 9 but did go back to the room at various times during the day. Most days room was cleaned by 12 but later a day or two. One day at Poly room wasn't cleaned when we returned. Mousekeeping came while we were there and she said she'd come back later, but since we were planning to leave soon, we let her in and left a few minutes later. Great stay at both resorts!

We returned today from six nights in a BWV two bedroom. We had a great experience with room checks. Never saw anyone for four of the days, and one day we had a phone call from housekeeping asking when it would be convenient for us to receive our room check. We said immediately is fine, and a housekeeper came to empty the trash five minutes later.
Room checks were a total non-issue for us, and we kept a pretty irregular schedule. Parks some mornings...some afternoons...in the room...out of the room. Absolutely no problems with the room check.

Pop Century 5/14-19 declined housekeeping. I was in room 5/15 unpacking around 2pm (lost luggage found!) when gentleman knocked I opened immediately and he explained what he was doing and just glanced in without crossing threshold. 5/16 I was out of room most of the day and noticed nothing unusual upon return. 5/17 I was in room around 10am sitting on chair right by door calling home so opened immediately again. Lady this time said she was inspecting rooms and did ask if now was convenient. I let her in and she did move some stuff around, my personal items included. I was watching but said nothing as I was listening to my mom on the phone. She didn’t riffle through, just moved it to look behind. She also looked behind the curtains and in the bathroom, which I left door closed to avoid the fan going on when I’d walk to sink area, and opened drawers. Personally not upset about it as I travel with nothing of value other than cash, cards and phone which I keep on me. Struck me how different each inspection was. 5/18 gone all day and nothing out of place upon return. Trash never emptied.
Boulder Ridge Villas point rental no housekeeping 5/19-22. Never saw anyone though gone most days between 10-4. Trash never removed.
Beach Club Villas point rental no housekeeping 5/22-25. Gone everyday from noon to 8pm. Never saw anyone but trash removed daily.

At All Star Sports from 5/20-5/25. Had daily housekeeping and didn't have any security checks while we were in the room. One day we were in the room for an afternoon nap and I put up the room occupied tag. Weren't bothered and the room was serviced after we left around 4:30. I didn't put up the room occupied tag at night and we were always out of the room around 8-9 each morning.

Just got back from a stay at P.O. Riverside. 2 nights, declined housekeeping, and still had no room checks unless they happened when we were out. Both days left around 11am and returned late, so very well could have happened while we were away, but we did not notice and nothing looked moved or rifled through.

Just got back from 5 nights at POR. We did not decline housekeeping and were always out of the room between mid-morning and early afternoon. The room was always cleaned by the time we returned in the late evening and we never received any knocks while the room occupied sign was out.

Stayed in a Poly bungalow earlier this month. 5 nights.

-We were gone every morning and back at the bungalow mid afternoon on a few of the days for the kids to rest or to refresh.
-Trash was picked up daily.
-We were present for one of the trash pickups. Housekeeping rang doorbell, we answered. They took trash. All good.

We are used to taking our own trash out of DVC villas and have never had any issues over the years doing that. But ... I must say it was very nice to not have to deal with disposing of our own trash anymore!

Last edited:
Just got back from 5 days, 4 nights at All Star Sports. We noted the occupied sign, but never used it. We recieved a knock on the door from mousekeeping on the 4th day when we were getting ready for Galactic Nights around 2. We just decided to decline mousekeeping for the day, and she dropped us off some towels. No run ins with security.

Just returned from a stay at AKL, 5/27-6/3, and had only 1 encounter with staff regarding the room check procedure. We had 3 rooms, and the other two parties who checked in at the front desk were never given any information regarding the new procedure and were oblivious. For most of our stay we were out of the room by early morning, but after an exhausting ER visit spent 1 day in the room. We had drifted off to sleep, and I received a phone call from security regarding the need to schedule a time during the early afternoon. I informed him that we had just returned, and were sleeping. When I awoke, I contacted housekeeping to request trash pickup and for the security screen to be completed. Housekeeping arrived within 5 minutes, and I assumed the check had also been completed. Nearly two hours later, a female staff member requested to enter the room to complete a check and just looked around for a moment. Staff were friendly and it wasn't an inconvenience, but as the rooms weren't cleaned well it's not the best use of resources.

Stayed at Poly 5/7 to 5/9, CBR 5/9 to 5/14, and POR 5/14 to 5/15. No issues with room checks. We were in and out of rooms off and on all day at all resorts. Mousekeeping came to the door on 5/15 around noon. I had a migraine and CBR and POR very kindly coordinated late check out and early check in, so I wouldn't be without a room. I told the castmember I had arranged late check out and she was very apologetic for disturbing me. I just felt bad that she felt bad!

Just returned yesterday from a stay at POR. (5/27 - 6/3) We were subjected to the room checks. We took the $10/night gift card offer for forgoing housekeeping so not sure if this is why? (Since housekeeping didn't come from our room.) We were there 7 nights and were only in the room during the day 2 of those days, the rest of our trip we were in the parks. One day we came back to take a nap during the middle of the day and someone knocked and did a room check during our nap. That was annoying and uncomfortable. The other time, my son came down with a 24/hour stomach bug during our trip so my hubby stayed in the room with him for the day while the rest of our family went to the parks. Hubby said a room check was done that day as well.

Last edited:
I have had three stays since the new policy implementation. Mid January for 4 nights at OKW, trash was removed before we returned from the parks everyday for naps but one. On that day shortly after returning to room there was a knock on door, followed by someone saying housekeeping. I answered the door, the 2 cast members stated they were here to empty trash, would now be a good time. They were in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Late February at BWV for a Festival of Arts visit for 5 days. Trash was removed everyday before we came back for our nap. No interaction at all.

Just back today from a 10 day trip that included 2 nights at VB and 8 nights at AKV Jambo House. Trash was emptied at Vero Beach while we were down at the beach. At AKV again, the trash was removed before returning from the parks. On our next to the last day, I remained in room all day because of a swollen ankle and put sign out when I took a shower at around 1pm. At 3 pm received a phone call from house keeping asking when it would be convenient for them to empty the trash, I told them now would be fine. They arrived within about 30 minutes, quickly emptied the trash and were gone.

Staying at the cabins in Fort Wilderness currently- offered gift card to opt out of housekeeping- which we took. Yesterday we got a late start and hubs and I had to run to Contemprorary for business center, and we had lunch there, kids stayed in room. Hey did have security come by for the check, quick look around and that was it. Haven't seen them today although we were out from 8-3 today. Checked in Sunday, and checking out Friday.

3 nights at All Star Sports May 25-28. Never used Room Occupied sign. Left room for parks at 9 one morning, noon one day, and 9 on check out day. Came back to room after parks. Never saw housekeeping, but room was cleaned each day when we returned. No issues with room checks.

5 nights at Poly, studio May 28- June 2. Never used RO sign. Left room around 9 most days, came back for midday breaks each day, and then back to the parks till closing. Did not go to parks on one day and was in and out of the room several times that day. Trash was taken daily, and room was fully cleaned on day 2 which was odd since it was a DVC reservation. Housekeeping delivered extra towels and coffee upon request on day 4, which should have been our full cleaning day. Maintenance came once, on last day. I had called to inform them of a few non working items/issues with the room. I told them that these issues did not need to be addressed for us, just wanted to let someone know so it could be taken care of before next guest. Maintenance showed up a few minutes later about the call. Other than that we were not bothered at all by housekeeping or room checks throughout our stay.

Daily room checks were a non issue for us.

...5 nights at Poly, studio May 28- June 2. ...Trash was taken daily, and room was fully cleaned on day 2 which was odd since it was a DVC reservation. Housekeeping delivered extra towels and coffee upon request on day 4, which should have been our full cleaning day....
Just a clarification. With a five night stay, you should have gotten clean towels and your amenities replaced on day four, not a full cleaning. I think the housekeepers at the combined resorts make more mistakes with DVC reservations than the totally DVC resorts (OKW and SSR), especially the newer DVC resorts.

DVC stays gets a full cleaning on day four if you stay at least seven nights or more.

Just a clarification. With a five night stay, you should have gotten clean towels and your amenities replaced on day four, not a full cleaning. I think the housekeepers at the combined resorts make more mistakes with DVC reservations than the totally DVC resorts (OKW and SSR), especially the newer DVC resorts.

DVC stays gets a full cleaning on day four if you stay at least seven nights or more.

Yeah, that's what I meant! Lol

Stayed at Coronado Springs May 20-31. Never once got walked in on, and we never even used the Occupied hanger. However, we aren't in the room a whole lot - our by 8:30AM daily at the latest, back for a quick refresher for about an hour in the afternoon and out again all night.

Disney is in the process of removing the Do Not Disturb door hangers from resort rooms, and replacing them with Occupied door hangers. They will begin checking guest rooms daily. This daily check should normally be covered by housekeeping, but guests may receive a visit from security.

At the moment, there seems to be a lot of variability in the way this policy is being implemented. Please use this thread to post your experiences with these checks.

Ground rules:

1) GUEST REPORTS ONLY. Posts on this thread should only be actual reports of your experiences while staying at a Disney resort. If it’s not a guest report, it will be removed. There’s a thread on the Resorts board for questions and comments about the room check policy.

2) Do not copy and paste reports that you found on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media or message boards. Posts on this thread should be about YOUR experience.

We just stayed at POR June 3-9. We were gone on most days for the majority of the day. Only a few times were we in the room in the mid day time frame. We were never disturbed by any checks on the room. We did not opt out of Mouse Keeping and even on the days we would take a mid day break by the time we returned to the room it had already been cleaned. The one thing that bothered me is that Mouse keeping would always leave our blinds wide open to our room so that anyone passing could look right in. But checks never took place while we were in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!