• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grocery (again, but we have to eat)

alexx

Earning My Ears
Hi all
It's been a long time since I have written on the board but I read it everyday since I bought my dvc.
OK here is the question.

Many of tou say that it is more or less expensive to go to publix or super walmart etc.

How much it cost for food, to a family of four, for a week, and what is the difference between each grocery store? Is it worth for somebody like me to search and lost time to roll and finally find that for saving $10 or $15 it take half a day to pick the less expensive grocery store?

Just to compare, last year, I spend near $1500.00can (much or less $1000 us) just to eat for three when we were in allstar movie. You can imagine that if it cost at the grocery say $400us, it will be a deal. I will go to the nearest store and spend my time to buy an ice cream on the pool side.

And by the way, I want to show my hand with just one finger up (imagine wich one) to all the terrorists of the wolrd and say to them that the men of the north will never be affraid of them.

alexx
(mr moderator please excuse me for the end)

I think most of us feel that Publix, Albertson's and Super WM are a reasonable place to shop. The expensive store tends to be Goodings. Some of us think it's worse than some others do. What's best for you depends on your circumstances, length of stay, etc. It's not likely worth renting a car to make a run but otherwise, I'd say it's well worth the extra time and agravation to hit one of the above stores. We have all three store chains in town and I find that Publix has the best prices and generally the best selection overall. WM may match Publix in price but has a much smaller selection and tends to not have as good produce. Albertson's tends to have the best meats and fish and the best prices on those but is higher on the staples. Whether this is true in Orlando, I cannot answer.

We shopped at Publix in 98 and this year. In 98, we stayed in the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. There were 6 of us as my parents, my wife and two kids went. We spenta $180 US on food and left about $30 in the fridge. We ate all breakfasts and most dinners in the cabin.
We stayed with another family this spring in a timeshare. There were 9 of us. We ate most dinners out this time, but ate breakfasts, snacks and a few lunches. We brought our own staples and spent only $60 at Publix. Total food cost was again about 150 dollars. You could eat every meal in the room for $400 easily, including steak and shrimp.

hi: for 4 of us this past may, we spent about $100 in albertson's. we bought coffee(in the filter packs), shampoo, cereals, pop tarts, fruit (a lot), bread, lunch meat, peanut butter, jelly, snacks for 2 hollow teens, milk, soda, and beer. 6 of 7 breakfasts were in the room, a lunch or two, but no dinners. the only time we use that white stove decoration is to boil water for tea. i think we had to buy a bottle of soda while on site. hopefully, this gives you a rough idea.

I made my shopping list before vacation and took along manufacturer's coupons to redeem at Publix. I saved $8.00 using the coupons and impressed the heck out of my husband. We spent $78.00 at Publix for a 10 day stay. All breakfasts in room, 4 dinners, several lunches( sandwiches).

Well, money-wise, you would certainly spend a lot less if you shopped at Publix and made some meals(even if only breakfast and snacks)in the room. Goodings is probably the absolute closest store to WDW, as it is right outside the gates, but it is also very expensive(and this comes from someone who lives in expensive Fairfield County CT...and hour away from NYC!!). Publix is right off the property over near the OKW side of WDW, on Rt 192 I think, so it's not like it's a million miles away!! To go to either Publix or Goodings, really, you need a car(unless you're staying in one of the Hotel Plaza Blvd resorts...then you could feasibly walk to Goodings I guess...but then you couldn't buy much cuz you'd have to carry it back to your resort!). To save money on food though, it would be worth it get to Publix, even if you had to take a cab over. You probably wouldn't waste hours of your vacation...maybe a hour at the most! And when you could sit in your room later that evening enjoying a nice beer and some chips, it would be worth it,right????;)

It is definitely worth it to take a trip to Publix. We usually stay in a studio, and spend about $100 or so on our groceries for 5 days. We do most meals in the room, with occasional exceptions. We buy fun things at the store (including stuff from the bakery) and feel as though we eat well. Not having a stove (just a microwave) gives us less flexibility, but we manage just fine. We really like the relaxation of eating in the room (we go in August usually), and then we treat ourselves to ice cream and other frozen items in the parks. Publix has at least 3 locations near Disney, and they are nice stores with great bakeries. We like their cooked chickens also - this makes a very easy dinner. Being able to cook in the room is one of the best perks of the Vacation Club.

Publix is now doing limited grocery delivery in some areas (not in Orlando yet) and hopefully will be taking it statewide soon, go to their website and check it out, delivery is $7.95 and you can order anything that they have in the stores, meat, bakery.

www.publixdirect.com

PublixDirect is an online grocery shopping and home delivery service brought to you by Publix Super Markets. Our mission is to provide the same superior quality products and unparalleled customer service that you've come to expect from Publix stores.

Founded in 2000, PublixDirect is located in Alpharetta, GA, and currently offers delivery service in Broward County, with plans to expand across the Southeast in the near future. PublixDirect is a wholly owned affiliate of Publix Super Markets, which is owned and operated by its more than 122,500 employees in 654 stores throughout Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama. In 2000, sales reached $14.6 billion.

Publix is good, but, I like Wal*Mart better. My total for 3 people for 7 days was 180.00, we ate almost all the meals in the room.
I also brought food home (a lot). I tend to overshop. I must also add this included quite a bit of wine as we drink wine with dinner.
We ate really well, steak, chops, pasta, etc. Ate wonderful breakfasts, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, English muffins.
Had nice snacks (walmart has an awesome bakery), and nice lunches too.
I figured what I spent for one week for three people was equal to two dinners at one of Disney's better restaurants for the three of us.
I didn't mind cooking as we were staying at OKW and I LOVE the kitchen there.
The shopping trip took approx. 1.5 hours total.

Based on experience, I vote for Publix, not WalMart Supercenter.

The closest Publix and WalMart Supercenter are both on 192 -- but the WalMart Supercenter is 5 miles east of Publix. We're not talking 5 minutes on a freeway here. We're talking a long, slow trek past motels, t-shirt shops, unappetizing buffets, and minor tourist attractions. You'll have plenty of time to look over these roadside businesses from your car as you wait through a bunch of traffic signals. (You can limit your distance on 192 by taking Vineland to 192 and only driving 2 or 3 miles on 192 until you get to WalMart Supercenter, but it's still a much longer drive than to Publix.)

WalMart Supercenter is a huge store, so it takes longer to park, shop, and check out. Then you get to take the long drive back.

My vacation time is valuable. Not only that, but I really like Publix! It's an attractive, well operated store with a good bakery.

And don't forget Gooding's at Crossroads of Buena Vista. It's a good place to pick up a few items when staying at Old Key West. Yes, it costs more -- sometimes a lot more than Publix or WalMart Supercenter. But Gooding's is open 24 hours, has a good selection, and is really convenient. Again, it's a matter of the value of your time.

I never go all the way to WalMart on 192(you are correct, it is an awful trek), I take 535 to 192, then it is only 2-3 miles. Takes about 15 mins. Shop and check out about 1 hour, trip home 15 mins. My time is valuable to, but, I do like the Super Wal*Mart, makes me feel like I am on vacation. :) To each their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter